Whole wheat Lasagna roll ups with turkey are a hearty and flavorful twist on classic lasagna
For the Roll Ups
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 small (enough to equal about one cup of pulp after it has been baked)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 6 whole wheat lasagna noodles uncooked
For The Sauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups milk
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Prepare the ingredients: Wash and pierce the sweet potato(es) with a fork and place it on a pan in the oven to bake.
- While the sweet potato(es) are baking, start the water for the pasta. Add 6 lasagna noodles to the boiling water and cook it for 8 minutes, and drain it.
- While the pasta is cooking, brown 1 pound of ground turkey with two cloves of chopped garlic.
- Shred the Parmesan cheese and set it aside.
- Once the sweet potato(es) are cooked set them aside to cool
- At this point you can make the sauce: melt 3 tablespoons butter in a saucepan with the garlic. Once the butter is melted, turn the heat to low and stir in 3 tablespoons of flour to form a roux (a paste).
- Gradually whisk in the 2 cups of milk by 1/2 cup increments at a time. Stir often, and once the sauce begins to thicken add more milk until it is gone. Continue to stir until the sauce becomes thick.
- Stir in 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese and turn the heat off.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350
- Make The Lasagna Rolls: Carefully slice the sweet potatoes in half, scoop out the pulp with a spoon and add it to the pan with the turkey.
- Add the 1/ 2 cup of Greek yogurt and mix all of the ingredients together.
- Arrange the cooked lasagna noodles on a piece of parchment or a board and add approximately 3 tablespoons of the filling to the top of each lasagna noodle. I like to make separate piles of the filling so that it’s easier to spread instead of one big one.
- Using a spreading knife, spread the filling so that it covers about 3/4 of the noodle and roll it up.
- Place 1/2 cup of the sauce in the bottom of an 8X8 baking dish and place the lasagna rolls on top of the sauce.
- Pour the remaining sauce on top of the lasagna rolls, cover and and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for 10 minutes longer.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Whole wheat Lasagna, Turkey lasagna