Instant pot cream of broccoli soup is a delicious creamy soup. It takes minutes to make even though it tastes like it's been simmering all day. It's a great recipe for when you don't have time cook, and one that the whole family will love.
Instant pot soup recipes are my favorite kind of instant pot recipes. They have so much flavor and take very little time to make.
This recipe for white bean soup and this hearty barley soup can both be on your table in 30 minutes!
Why you will love this recipe
- Broccoli cheddar soup is quick and easy to make in the Instant pot with just a few ingredients!
- It's a healthier version of broccoli cheddar soup, made with milk instead of heavy cream.
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and instructions.
- Vegetable Broth
- Olive oil or unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Sharp cheddar cheese
How to make this broccoli cheese soup recipe
Prepare: Rinse the broccoli and roughly chop it. Chop the onions and garlic.
Step 1. Cook the onions and garlic
Set the instant pot to the saute setting. Once it's hot add the olive oil, onions, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until the garlic and onions begin to soften.
Step 2. Add the broccoli
Add the broccoli florets to the instant pot and pour in half of the vegetable broth. Set the pressure to high pressure for one minute. (Keep in mind that it will take about 8 to 10 minutes to reach pressure).
Step 3. Release pressure
Slow-release pressure for three to five minutes and carefully release the remaining pressure before opening the cooker.
Step 4. Make a slurry
Whisk the flour into the remaining broth and stir it into the vegetable/broth mixture in the pot, stir for a few minutes until it starts to thicken.
Step 5. Adjust and serve
Add the milk and grated cheese. Stir until the cheese melts and adjust the consistency and flavor to your taste and serve.
NOTE: If you use low-sodium broth, you may need to add salt before serving and don't forget the black pepper too!
Ingredient notes and substitutions
The full list of ingredients to make this recipe is above. Below are notes about some of the ingredients, along with ideas for substitutes.
Broccoli - Frozen or fresh broccoli will work in this recipe. Be sure that the florets are similar in size to prevent them from being overcooked.
Vegetable broth - I homemade broth when I have it in my freezer, here's my recipe for homemade vegetable broth.
When I don't have homemade broth, I use organic low-sodium vegetable broth, but you can use your favorite vegetable broth to make cream of broccoli soup.
Vegetable broth can be substituted with an equal amount of chicken broth or chicken stock.
Nutmeg - adds a warming flavor to the soup. If you don't have nutmeg, it can be left out.
Serve instant pot cream of broccoli soup with a salad and a piece of crusty bread on the side.
How to store and freeze leftover soup
This flavorful soup tastes even better the next day! If you have leftover soup, store it in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container.
Freeze leftover soup after it has cooled to room temperature in a freezer-safe container for up to three months (I like these souper cubes). Defrost frozen soup overnight in the refrigerator
Reheat the soup on top of the stove over medium heat or in the microwave.
Here are a few suggestions to make this instant pot broccoli soup recipe your own.
Vegan cream of broccoli soup - Use vegetable broth, your favorite non-dairy milk such as almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk, or oat milk and vegan cheese or nutritional yeast for a vegan variation.
Gluten-free - Use arrowroot, tapioca flour or gluten-free flour to mix the slurry.
Spicy broccoli soup - Make broccoli soup spicy by adding a ½ to one teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
Add more vegetables - Add more vegetables to the instant pot with broccoli such as chopped carrots, parsnips, celery or cauliflower.
- Instead of adding more flour after cooking the soup, add ¼ cup of leftover potatoes (mashed or baked are a great option for this), or Greek yogurt.
- This soup is chunky if you prefer a smooth soup use an immersion blender or potato masher to make it smooth.
- Use a block of cheese and grate your own cheese for the best results. Pre-shredded cheese contains anti-caking agents and doesn't melt as nicely as cheese from a block does.
Yes, it can. Follow the instructions in the recipe card, except instead of cooking the vegetables in the instant pot, simmer them on the stove in the broth for 20 minutes. Once the veggies are cooked continue to follow the instructions in the recipe.
Yes. Cook the broccoli, onions, and garlic in a slow cooker for 2 ½ to 3 hours until the vegetables are soft. Continue with the recipe instructions.
This recipe can easily be doubled, simply double all of the ingredients (use the recipe card scale button) and the cooking time will remain the same.
That is up to you. I like to use sharp cheddar, but a milder cheddar will work too. You can also try using Swiss, gruyere, or pepper jack for a spicy soup.
You might like these recipes
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup cheddar cheese grated
- Prepare the ingredients: Rinse the broccoli and roughly chop it into uniform sized pieces. Chop the onions and garlic. Measure the flour and broth.
- Set the Instant pot to the saute setting. Once it's hot, add the olive oil, onions, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until the garlic and onions begin to soften.
- Add the broccoli florets to the instant pot and pour in half of the vegetable broth. Set the pressure to high for one minute; place the cover on the instant pot. Keep in mind will take about 8 to 10 minutes for the instant pot to reach pressure.
- Carefully slow release the pressure after 3 to 5 minutes.
- Whisk the flour into the remaining broth and gradually stir it into the pot with the cooked broccoli. Stir for a few minutes until the soup starts to thicken. Add the milk and the grated cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.
- Adjust the thickness of the soup to your preference.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Check out more of our Instant Pot Recipes here!
Leave a Reply