This slow cooker chicken legs and potatoes recipe is easy, and one that the whole family will love. It's a hearty and savory dish that's made with tender chicken legs cooked in a rich and flavorful gravy.
Set it and forget it meals are the best! Especially when it's an easy slow cooker recipe like this one. All that needs to be done is add the ingredients to your slow cooker and hours later a healthy homemade dinner is ready; perfect for busy nights!
If you like crock pot recipes, you will also love this recipe for easy honey garlic pork chops.
What you will love about this recipe
- Easy! This recipe is so easy to prepare with simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
- Economical! Chicken legs are economical, and they are flavorful.
Here is what you will need
- Chicken legs (chicken drumsticks)
- Olive oil
- White wine
- Fresh Rosemary
- Fresh Thyme
- Bay leaf
- Water or chicken broth
- Flour (optional)
How to make slow cooker chicken legs and potatoes
Prepare: Slice the onion, chop the garlic, and clean the potatoes. If using larger-sized potatoes, cut them into quarters that are similar in size.
Step 1. Brown the chicken
Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat and cook until they start to turn golden on the outside - about 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
Step 2. Brown the potatoes
Add the potatoes to a hot skillet and toss them around until they begin to soften remove them from the heat
Step 3. Add to crockpot
Add the onions and garlic in a single layer on the bottom of the slow cooker and place the chicken legs on top, then the herbs, and pour the wine over the top.
Step 4. Top with potatoes
Place the potatoes on top, set to the low setting, and cook for 3 ½ hours.
Step 5. Serve
Remove the bay leaf and serve. The sauce will be thin, you can serve it as is, or mix together a tablespoon of flour and water to form a slurry and whisk it into the sauce to make a delicious gravy.
NOTE: For a smooth sauce, pour the sauce through a strainer to remove the onion garlic, and herb pieces before serving.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
The full list of ingredients to make this crockpot chicken drumsticks recipe is above. Below are notes about some of the ingredients, along with ideas for substitutes.
Chicken legs - You can substitute chicken thighs for chicken legs or use a mixture of both. You can also use bone-in chicken breasts, and increase the cooking time by 30 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees f.
Potatoes - Baby potatoes, fingerling potatoes or regular-sized yukon gold potatoes, new potatoes or red potatoes work in this recipe. If you use regular-sized potatoes, be sure to cut them into chunks that are similar in size.
How to store and use leftovers
Leftover chicken legs will last in the refrigerator for up to three days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Reheat chicken legs in the oven or on top of the stove.
Leftover serving suggestion - Remove the chicken from the bones, shred it and serve it in the gravy over mashed potatoes, rice or toast for a quick dinner.
Dishes like these crockpot chicken legs are so easy to customize and make your own. Here are some suggestions:
Add Vegetables - Make this recipe a complete meal in one pot, and add some root vegetables such as baby carrots, parsnips or turnips.
Fresh Herbs - Add a fresh flavor with any combination of herbs such as fresh parsley, oregano, basil, dill, chives or tarragon.
Mediterranean Chicken Legs - Add sliced kalamata olives, a few sprigs of fresh oregano and a splash of lemon juice.
Italian Chicken Legs - Add diced tomatoes, ½ teaspoon basil, and ½ teaspon oregano or one teaspoon Italian seasoning. Top with shredded parmesan cheese just before serving.
Mexican Chicken Legs - Add ½ cup diced tomatoes, chopped jalapeno pepper, and fresh cilantro.
Asian Chicken Legs - Stir in a tablespoon or two of soy sauce and a teaspoon or two of freshly grated ginger. Garnish with sliced green onions.
Tips and Questions
- If you are in a hurry, cook the chicken legs on high heat for 2 hours.
- Keep any extra gravy (it freezes well) to flavor other meals.
- To prevent the potatoes from becoming soggy, place them on top of all of the ingredients with nothing on top of the potatoes.
Yes, you can. Once the chicken and onions have been browned on to of the stove, layer the ingredients in a dutch oven or casserole dish. Cover and cook at 325, for approximately 2 hours.
You can use boneless chicken thighs to make this recipe, and reduce the cooking time by about 30 minutes. Since white meat is leaner than dark meat, boneless chicken breasts won't be as tender as chicken thighs, but it can be done. I've tried it and shredded the chicken, turned the crockpot to warm and let it absorb the flavorful gravy.
Yes, you can. Swap out white potatoes with chunks of sweet potatoes.
You might like these chicken recipes
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- 8 chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup white wine
- ¼ cup water or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1.5 pounds potatoes
- 1 tablespoon flour Optional to thicken sauce
- Prepare the ingredients; slice the onion, chop the garlic and clean the potatoes. If using larger sized potatoes, cut them into quarters. Pat the chicken legs dry with a paper towel.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet. Once the skillet and oil are hot, add the chicken legs and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on one side, flip them over and cook for a few minutes longer and remove them from the pan.
- Add the potatoes to the hot skillet and cook for a few minutes, and turn off the heat.
- Place the onions and garlic in the bottom of a slow cooker, and layer the chicken legs on top.
- Place the herbs on top of the chicken legs, and pour in the wine and water or broth.
- Place the potatoes on top of the chicken; cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 3 to 3 ½ hours.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Check out more of our Slow Cooker Recipes here!