Baked buffalo chicken egg rolls are filled with ground chicken and vegetables combined with hot sauce, then wrapped up and baked to crispy perfection. They are light and delicious, a perfect appetizer or light dinner.
Easy Baked Egg Rolls
My mother used to make the best homemade fried egg rolls. I remember it took her forever to make them. She spent hours preparing the stuffing, filling the egg rolls and frying them.
The kitchen always smelled so good when she was making them, and the time went so slow while we anxiously waited for a taste.
A few years ago, I took mom’s egg roll recipe, ditched the fryer and baked them. They came out just as crispy and flavorful as I remember her fried egg rolls, and in a lot less time and no mess from frying.
That is a win all of the way around.
After perfecting her recipe, I’ve tried all kinds egg roll fillings, and buffalo chicken egg rolls are one of our favorites. Serve these as an appetizer (great for football) or dinner with a salad like this zesty baby arugula salad with pistachios and don’t forget to make homemade blue cheese dressing to dip them in.
Here is what you will need to make Baked Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls with Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
- broccoli slaw mix
- hot sauce such as Frank’s
- unsalted butter
- egg roll wrappers
- Greek yogurt
- blue cheese
- fresh lemon juice
- parchment paper
- baking sheet
How to Make Homemade Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls in the Oven
This is really a super easy recipe to make, the ingredients for the filling cook up quickly on top of the stove. Here is how how:
Brown the ground chicken and onions in a skillet
Add the broccoli slaw to the chicken
Stir in the hot sauce and butter mixture
Add the filling to the wraps and roll them up
Bake the egg rolls in the oven
While the egg rolls are cooking, mix the dipping sauce together and enjoy!
Buffalo Chicken Egg Roll Recipe Variations
There are so many different ways to make egg rolls. Here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy buffalo flavored egg rolls.
Make a Meatless Version
Instead of chicken, add a 14 ounce package of firm crumbled tofu to a skillet. Cook the tofu until it’s heated through, add the slaw mix and stir in the buffalo sauce with butter. Fill the wrappers and bake them.
For a vegan version replace the butter with olive oil
Change up the filling
- add ½ cup diced celery to the vegetable mix
- use cabbage slaw instead of broccoli slaw
- add a few tablespoons of blue cheese to the filling
Try These Appetizer Ideas
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 12 ounce package of broccoli slaw
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons red hot sauce such as Franks
- 2 tablespoons diced onions
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 package egg roll wrappers (you may not need the entire package)
- up to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat a skillet with 1 tablespoon olive over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken, garlic and the diced onions
- cook the chicken and onions until they are about ¾ cooked through and add the broccoli slaw. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes more until chicken is cooked through and vegetables have wilted.
- Melt 1 ½ tablespoons of butter over medium heat in a sauce pan. Once the butter has melted add 4 tablespoons of hot sauce and mix well.
- Stir in the butter/hot sauce mixture to the chicken and remove it from the heat
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper
- Fill the egg rolls by laying a wrapper out flat and filling each one with 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture
- Lightly brush each egg roll with olive oil and bake at 400 for about 12 to 15 minutes or until they become golden and crispy.
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 egg roll
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 137Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 278mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 10g
Nutrition information is provided by an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.