Start your day off right with a sweet and satisfying super green smoothie that is filled with tropical fruit.
A Nourishing and Portable Breakfast
We like quick and easy breakfasts during the week and if they are portable, that's even better. That's why we love smoothies or overnight oats, for breakfast during the week.
These smoothies are 100% plant-based, I don't use milk or yogurt in my smoothies. Instead, I use water and avocado for a nice creamy texture. An added bonus is that the fat from the avocado will keep you feeling full all morning.
How to Make the Best Tasting Super Green Smoothie
You can make a smoothie with any combination of fruits or vegetables that you like. Play around with the ingredients and find your new personal favorite smoothie.
Here are some suggestions to get you started:
Fruit - Fresh or frozen berries, bananas, peaches, mangoes, oranges pineapple, or any other sweet-tasting tropical fruit.
A few of our favorite fruit combinations are banana and blueberry, mango, orange and pineapple, raspberry and strawberry, and of course dragon fruit and passion fruit.
Vegetables - Green vegetables are optional, but I highly suggest you add them in. They add a touch of earthy flavor and beautiful green color to the smoothie. I like a handful of baby spinach or kale and sometimes toss in chopped-up cucumbers.
Thickener - Depending on the size of the avocado, using up to one-half of an avocado that has been chopped adds a wonderful creamy texture to the smoothie.
Protein - protein powder, chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp hearts, nut butter will add protein to your smoothie which will also keep you feeling full.
A few of my favorite protein and fruit combinations are; raspberry and peanut butter, vanilla protein powder with blueberries and banana, chocolate protein powder with raspberries. Toss in a tablespoon of flax or chia seeds with the protein powder for an extra dose of omega 3's.
Liquid - Filtered water is my first choice, but you can also use dairy milk or nut milk.
Extras - Add fresh herbs like mint, cilantro, basil or cinnamon, vanilla extract or a dash of honey or maple syrup.
Chopped Ice - For a frosty smoothie and it's optional. If you are using frozen fruit it's not really necessary, however, the chill the ice adds to a fresh fruit smoothie livens it up.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
Super Green Smoothie with Tropical Fruit Ingredients and Instructions
- Fresh frozen tropical fruit such as, pineapple, mango, dragonfruit, papaya
- Plant-based vanilla protein powder such as Aloha Vanilla Protein Powder
- Fresh baby spinach
- Filtered water
- Chopped ice
- Don't forget the Blender, you will need a high-speed blender such as the Ninja Blender or the Nutribullet or an immersion blender
Add all of the ingredients above to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
Time Needed to Make this Recipe: 10 to 15 minutes
Seeds In The Smoothie
The dragon fruit and passion fruit both contain seeds. Once the fruits are blended you will notice bits of seeds and may even have a little bit of a crunch in your smoothie.
Make and Store Smoothies Ahead of Time
- Mix up a double batch of your favorite smoothie combination and store it in a mason jar in the fridge for up two days. The smoothie may separate in the fridge, shake or stir it before drinking it.
- Keep your grab and go smoothie cold and use an insulated container, or add ice before drinking it.
More Quick and Easy Breakfast Ideas
- Easy Breakfast Quesadillas
- Vegetable Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Burrito Bowl
- Chocolate and Banana Overnight Oats
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- 1 Dragon Fruit
- 1 Passion fruit
- ½ of an avocado
- 2 scoops plant-based vanilla protein powder
- 2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach
- 1 ¾ cups filtered water - less if you prefer a thick smoothie
- ½ cup chopped ice
- Peel and chop the dragon fruit
- Cut the avocado in half and scoop out half of the pulp and chop it
- Carefully cut the passion fruit in half and scoop out the juicy seeds in the center
- Add the baby spinach, water, protein powder and chopped ice
- Blend until smooth
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
- Asian Strawberry Papaya Salad by Frugal & Fit
- Blood Orange, Pomegranate, and Avocado Salad by Kate's Recipe Box
- Chayote Squash-Apple Crisp by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Chayote with Roasted Tomatoes and Chile by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Dragonfruit and Pomegranate Mojito by Hezzi-d's Books and Cooks
- Dragonfruit-Vanilla Bean Layer Cake by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Easy Passion Fruit Whip by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Roasted Chayote Squash with Herbs by Blogghetti
- Super Green Smoothie with Tropical Fruit by Simple and Savory
- Vegan Coconut Lime Trifles with Tropical Fruit Salad by The Baking Fairy
- Yogurt Panna Cotta by Cooking with Carlee
What a fabulous looking smoothie and so healthy too!
What a great way to pack lots of nutrition into a portable breakfast!
Wendy Klik says
Perfect way to start the day. Spinach is my veggie of choice in smoothies as it is so mild.
I need more smoothie recipes and a tropical one sounds awesome
This would make a great pick-me-up after work!
Lisa Kerhin says
Smoothies have been my jam lately...gotta try this one
Valentina | The Baking Fairy says
This green smoothie sounds absolutely wonderful! I bet the avocado makes it so rich and creamy.
That sounds like a delicious combination of flavors - I like tropical flavors in smoothies too.
I just bought some protein powder. I am pinning this recipe so I can make this for breakfast.
Carlos at Spoonabilities says
I'm always looking for new ideas to make new smoothies flavors. This one will be perfect!
Love the colorful bowl with the fruits.
Eileen Kelly says
I haad fallen off the track of better eating. Saw this smoothie recipe and it was the trigger to get back on track. It tastes great. I doubled the batch for an afternoon treat.
Such a creative and delicious smoothie! I love that it uses dragon fruit but especially that it uses avocado as the base!?
colleen kennedy says
MY 15 year old who loves her smoothies tried this with the protein powder (which we have never done), she loved it AND since she doesn't eat most meats the protein kick was perfect!