Loaded Potato Skins are potato skins baked to crispy perfection and topped with a spicy tomato and bean salsa, a match made in heaven.
Potatoes have gotten a bad reputation over the past few years, which is too bad. Potatoes aren’t the enemy, they are an excellent source of fiber, potassium, and vitamins. The bad reputation is the way they are prepared, fried, or mashed with tons of fat and salt. That’s why I like to make my potatoes at home because I can control what goes into them. Like these crispy potato skins.
These skins are a twist on the traditional potato skins which are loaded with lots of cheese, bacon and sour cream. Since I prefer guilt-free eating, I lightened them up a bit. They are topped with black bean salsa, jalapeno peppers and a touch of cheese with Greek yogurt on the side.
Loaded Potato Southwestern Potato Skins
Rather than frying the potato skins, the potatoes are baked, scraped and baked again at a high temperature for crispy and browned skins. They are so easy to make. You can serve them as a snack or for dinner with a salad.
- 3 Russet Potatoes scrubbed and dried
- 1 ½ Tablespoons olive or avocado oil plus extra to rub on potatoes
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- 1 ½ teaspoons diced onion
- ½ avocado diced
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- ¼ to ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- pre-heat oven to 425
- pierce potatoes and place in oven and bake for 50 minutes to an hour
- remove from oven and let cool
- when cool enough to handle, cut potatoes in half and scoop out pulp
- cut each half in half again to make quarters
- combine the crushed garlic and olive oil and brush on top and bottom of each wedge
- place them onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes more until edges begin to brown and skins get crispy
- while skins are baking make the filling:
- combine the onion, tomatoes, avocados, cumin, and beans in a bowl
- when wedges are crispy remove them from the oven and top each wedge with a spoonful of bean mixture
- sprinkle with jalapenos and cheddar cheese
- bake until cheese melts
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 wedges
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Total Fat: 2.9gSodium: 22.5mgCarbohydrates: 21.2gFiber: 3.8gSugar: 1gProtein: 3.7g