The natural sweetness of sweet potatoes blends beautifully with a spicy kick in this sweet potato fritter recipe. The fritters are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. And, the best part is you will only need 5 ingredients and less than one hour to make them! Serve sweet potato fritters with zesty yogurt sauce for a great appetizer that everyone will love.
We love healthy appetizers, be sure to give these spinach balls a try too!
🤍Why you will love this recipe
- Sweet potato fritters are a healthy and delicious appetizer or side dish.
- They are so easy to make, and you can make them ahead of time!
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe, scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and instructions.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to make this sweet potato fritters recipe
Prepare the ingredients: shred the potatoes, whisk the egg in a small bowl, and measure the flour, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, yogurt, and hot sauce.
STEP 1: Place the shredded sweet potatoes, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, flour, and egg into a large mixing bowl.
STEP 2: Use a wooden spoon to mix all of the ingredients together.
STEP 3: Add just enough oil to cover the bottom of a frying pan. Heat the oil over medium-high heat. Scoop out about 1/4 cup of the fritter batter and form it into patties about 1 3/4 inch to 2 inches in size and add them to the hot oil in the pan.
STEP 4: Cook the fritters in the hot pan until they become golden brown (approximately 3 minutes). Flip them over and cook for 3 minutes longer. Once they are cooked transfer the fritters from the pan and place them on a plate lined with paper towels.
STEP 5: In a small bowl, mix the yogurt and hot sauce together. Serve the fritters with the spicy yogurt sauce on the side for dipping.
Ingredient notes & substitutions
The complete list of ingredients to make this recipe is above. Below are notes about some of the ingredients, along with ideas for substitutes.
Sweet Potatoes are the star of this sweet potato fritters recipe, but they can be replaced with another sweet-tasting vegetable such as butternut squash, or similar-tasting root vegetables, such as yams.
Olive Oil. Since the fritters are not deep-fried, olive oil works great in this recipe. It can be replaced with an equal amount of coconut oil, avocado oil, or your favorite cooking oil.
Greek Yogurt. Plain greek yogurt is similar in taste and texture to sour cream and can easily be replaced one-for-one with sour cream.
Flour. Substitute the whole wheat flour with an equal amount of white all-purpose flour or almond flour or rice flour for a gluten-free version.
Make fritters ahead and refrigerate
Mix the sweet potato fritters batter following the instructions in the recipe card. Store the uncooked fritters in the refrigerator in an airtight container for a day.
To cook the fritters, remove them from the refrigerator 15 to 20 minutes before cooking, and form the sweet potato mixture into patties. Follow the cooking instructions on the recipe card.
Make ahead and freeze
Follow the instructions on the recipe card. Once the fritters are formed, place the uncooked sweet potato fritters on a baking sheet and into the freezer. Once the fritters are frozen, place them in a freezer container or freezer bag and store them for up to three months.
Thaw the fritters in the refrigerator overnight and cook them according to the instructions on the recipe card.
How to store and reheat leftovers
Store leftover sweet potato fritters in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Freeze leftover fritters by placing the leftovers on a baking sheet and into the freezer. Once they are frozen place them in a plastic bag for up to 3 months.
Thaw frozen fritters in the refrigerator overnight or reheat them from frozen.
Reheat leftover fritters in the oven at 350 or in a skillet with a little bit of oil.
How to serve sweet potato fritters
Serve sweet potato fritters garnished with any combination of the following: a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper, chopped green onion, or chopped fresh cilantro.
These fritters are also a perfect side dish when they are served with Apple Cider Pulled Pork, Slow Roasted Pork with Apple Puree, Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork with Homemade Sauceor Orange Cranberry Chicken.
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Fritters. Add 1/2 cup of roughly mashed black beans to the shredded sweet potato mixture.
Add Citrus. Stir in a teaspoon of orange, lime or lemon zest for refreshing fritters.
Sweet and Spicy Sauce. Stir in 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of maple syrup or honey when mixing up the sauce.
- To avoid soggy fritters, make sure the oil is hot by sticking a wooden spoon into the oil. If bubbles appear around the spoon, the oil is ready.
- Keep cooked fritters warm by placing them onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a 200-degree oven.
Yes, you can. Arrange the uncooked fritters in a single layer in an air fryer basket or tray, brush them with a little bit of olive or avocado oil, and cook them for 10 minutes at 400 degrees in the air fryer.
Yes, you can use flax or chia eggs (1 tablespoon seeds: 3 tablespoons water). Please note that the texture and flavor may vary slightly.
Are you too tired to cook dinner?
If you’re feeling uninspired when it’s time to cook dinner, this free guide will help you make a quick and healthy dinner with ingredients you have in your kitchen.
You Might Like These Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato Hummus
- Oven Baked Pork Chops With Vegetables
- Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
- 5 Ingredient Sweet Potato Casserole
Do you like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- 1 pound sweet potatoes about 2 to 3
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons Asian chili garlic sauce
- Prepare the ingredients: shred the potatoes, whisk the egg in a small bowl, and measure the flour, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.
- Place the shredded sweet potatoes, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, eggs and flour into a large mixing bowl and mix everything together.
- Scoop out about 1/4 cup of the fritter batter and form it into patties that are about 1 3/4 to 2 inches in size.
- Add just enough oil to cover the bottom of the skillet. Depending on the size of the skillet, this could be 1 to 2 tablespoons.
- Once the oil is hot (it will shimmer once it’s hot enough), place the fritters into the hot oil in the pan spaced far enough apart so that they don’t touch each other.
- Cook the fritters in the hot oil until they become golden brown on one side(approximately 3 minutes). Flip them over and cook for 3 minutes longer.
- Transfer the cooked fritters to a plate lined with paper towels or parchment paper.
- Mix the yogurt and hot sauce together, and serve the fritters with the spicy yogurt sauce on the side.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Sign Up for Easy Recipes Straight in Your In-Box!