Sweet potato hummus is a creamy unique blend of hummus. It is just perfect for dipping, and it’s gluten-free and vegan.
Homemade Sweet Potato Hummus
Don’t you just love it when you find something that tastes really good and it’s really good for you? Well that’s what this hummus is.
It’s rich, creamy, tasty and sweet potatoes are super healthy so it’s a win-win. Grab some fresh veggies or whole wheat pita chips and start guilt-free dipping!
The only difference between sweet potato hummus and classic hummus is the addition of sweet potatoes. The combination of sweet and tangy together adds a new dimension to the flavor of hummus, similar to this roasted beet hummus.
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
What you Will Need to Make this Recipe
Homemade hummus is so easy to make. There are only a few simple ingredients, here is what you will need:
- Sweet potatoes – this is a great way to use up leftover sweet potatoes
- Chickpeas – canned or dried and cooked
- Tahini paste
- Ground cumin
- Fresh lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Food Processor
How to make it
There are only a few simple steps needed to make hummus, here is how.
- Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven
- Scoop out flesh of the cooked sweet potatoes and place it in a food processor along with the remaining ingredients
- Blend the ingredients until it turns into a creamy hummus
Variations of Sweet Potato Hummus
- If ground cumin is too strong for your taste, you can leave it out
- Swap the chickpeas out for equal amount of white beans or use a combination of both
- Make a paleo version of sweet potato hummus and leave out the chick peas and add 2 more sweet potatoes.
- Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper for spicy version. hummus
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon
Try These Hummus RecipesPrint
Sweet Potato Hummus
Sweet potato hummus is delicious savory, yet sweet.It is just perfect for dipping and it’s gluten-free and vegan.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Pre-heat the oven to 400
- Pierce two sweet potatoes with a fork and place them into the oven directly on the center rack or on a baking sheet and bake them for 45 minutes until they become soft. Tip: You may want to put a layer of foil on the rack below the sweet potatoes to catch any drippings and protect the bottom of the oven.
- Once the baked sweet potatoes have finished cooking and are cool enough to handle, slice them in half, scoop out the pulp and place it in a food processor,
- Next add the remaining ingredients except the water to the food processor: 1 1/2 cups of chickpeas, 1/4 cup of tahini paste, 1 clove of chopped garlic, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 1/4 cup olive oil and blend, gradually adding as your are blending until the hummus is creamy.
This recipe makes about 2 cups, a serving size is two tablespoons Sweet Potato Hummus Variations
- ground cumin is optional, it can be omitted
- tahini paste can be left out or substituted with almond or cashew butter
- add 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper for a spicy kick
- substitute the chickpeas with white beans
Keywords: appetizer, hummus, sweet potato hummus