Fresh vegetables, olives, hummus and feta cheese make up this hearty Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich an easy vegetarian sandwich that’s perfect for lunch or a light and heatlhy dinner.
Here is what you will need:
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
- fresh whole grain bread
- lettuce or spinach
- zucchini or cucumber
- kalamata olives
- feta or goat cheese
Sandwiches don’t have to be filled with meat to be satisfying. When you load up a sandwich with vegetables, briny olives and feta cheese it can be just as satisfying as a meat lovers sandwich.
You don’t really need a recipe to make this sandwich, you can fill it up with the ingredients above or add any combination of your favorite vegetables. This sandwich has a Mediterranean theme so I went with crispy raw veggies, but you can easily use roasted vegetables too.
Tips for the best tasting veggie sandwich
Use fresh whole grain bread or sourdough with a crispy crust.
Add zucchini and tomatoes
Olives and Feta Cheese
Top it with fresh spinach or romaine
Change it up
Sandwiches are so versatile, you can make them any way you like. Here are a few suggestions to stay with the Mediterranean theme.
- Toast the bread before adding the ingredients.
- Instead of bread, make your sandwich on a crusty whole grain baguette or pita bread.
- Replace the hummus with pesto sauce or add the pesto sauce to the hummus.
- Veggie ideas: marinated mushrooms, shredded carrots, red onions, roasted peppers, sun dried tomatoes.
- Serve veggie sandwiches for lunch or a quick and light dinner with a bowl of soup, or salad.
- Cut the sandwich into small pieces and serve as an appetizer.
You Might Like These Light Recipes
- Healthy Charcuterie Board
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Easy Falafel
- Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice Bowls
Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich
A healthy and satisfying sandwich made with fresh vegetables
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: lunch
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: Mediterranean/American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 tablespoons hummus
- 1/2 small to medium zucchini sliced thin len
- 2 tablespoon gthwise or 1 small cucumber sliced thin lengthwise
- a handful of baby spinach
- 1 small to medium tomato sliced thin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons feta or goat cheese crumbles
- 4 to 5 chopped kalamata olives or olive tapenade
- 2 slices of whole grain or sourdough bread
- spread the hummus onto each slice of bread
- add the zucchini, tomatoes and olives
- top with cheese crumbles and spinach
Veggie ideas: marinated mushrooms, shredded carrots, red onions, roasted peppers, sun dried tomatoes.
Keywords: mediterranean veggie sandwich, veggie sandwich