Fresh vegetables, olives, hummus and feta cheese make up this hearty Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich that’s perfect for lunch or a light and heatlhy dinner.
Here is what you will need:
- fresh whole grain bread
- lettuce or spinach
- zucchini or cucumber
- kalamata olives
- feta cheese
Vegetable sandwiches don’t have to be filled with meat to be satisfying. When you load up a sandwich with vegetables, briny olives and feta cheese they are just as satisfying as a meat lovers sandwich.
Like most sandwiches, this sandwich doesn’t really need a recipe. You can fill it up with the ingredients above or add any combination of your favorite vegetables.
Start out by smearing your favorite hummus on two slices of fresh bread and pile on the vegetables.
Tips for the best tasting veggie sandwich
- Use fresh whole grain bread, we like whole wheat or sour dough with a crispy crust.
- Spread on the hummus, classic flavored hummus like sun dried tomato hummus taste great.
- Layer on sliced fresh veggies
- Add olives for a salty flavor and top it with crumbled feta or goat cheese.
Change it up
Sandwiches are so versatile, you can make them any way you like. Here are a few suggestions to stay with the Mediterranean theme.
- Toast the bread before adding the ingredients
- Instead of bread, make your sandwich on a crusty whole gran baguette or pita bread.
- Replace the hummus with pesto sauce or add it to the hummus
- Veggie options: marinated mushrooms, shredded carrots, red onions, roasted peppers, sun dried tomatoes.
You Might Like These Light Recipes
- Healthy Charcuterie Board
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Easy Falafel
- Mediterranean Cauliflower RIce Bowls
Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich
Filled with vegetables this sandwich is a very healthy and satisfying sandwich that’s perfect for lunch or a light dinner
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 1 1x
- 1 tablespoon plain or garlic hummus
- 1/2 small to medium zucchini sliced thin lengthwise
- 1 small cucumber sliced thin lengthwise
- 2 to 3 thin slices of red onion
- a handful of baby spinach
- 1 small to medium tomato sliced thin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons feta or goat cheese crumbles
- 4 to 5 chopped kalamata olives or olive tapenade
- 2 slices of whole grain sourdough bread or your favorite crusty bread
- spread the hummus onto one slice of bread
- layer the vegetables on top using the tomato last
- top with cheese crumbles and olives and the remaining slice of bread
- Calories: 273
- Sugar: 11.5g
- Sodium: 506
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrates: 45.6g
- Fiber: 6.9g
- Protein: 12g
Try out one of my hummus recipes on your sandwiches. . .