Vegan BLT is a meatless version of a classic sandwich made with salty, smoky strips of portobello mushroombacon, topped with crispy lettuce and juicy tomato slices. You don’t have to be vegan or vegetarian to enjoy this twist on a BLT sandwich.
This recipe was originally posted in 2017, it’s been updated for content and photos.
- It’s healthier! Portobello mushrooms are slathered in a seasoned olive oil and baked in the oven to cripsy perfection to make mushroom bacon.
- It’s an easy sandwich made with fresh ingredients that you can enjoy for lunch or dinner.
Here’s what you will need
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
- Portobello mushrooms have a meaty texture, yet they are spongy. They soak up the seasoned oil making them the perfect meatless substitute for bacon. If you can’t find portobello mushrooms, cremeni or any type of mushroom will work. I chose portobellos because I can make long strips out of them
- Seasoned oil is made with olive oil, tamari sauce and maple syrup for salty and sweet flavors that are in bacon.
- Smoked paprika – If it’s bacon, it has to be smoky and smoked paprika adds a smoky flavor.
- Lettuce – The best lettuce to use in a BLT is Boston, romaine, baby romaine or iceburg lettuce. I like baby romaine or Boston lettuce. If you prefer a crispy lettuce, try romaine or iceburg lettuce.
- Tomato – Large and juicy beefsteak tomatoes or heirloom tomaotes are the best for making a BLT, make sure the slices are nice and thick.
- Sea Salt – Optional
- Your favorite sandwich bread.
Estimated Time To Make This Recipe: 30 to 40 minutes
How to make it
As with most sandwich recipes, you really don’t need a recipe to make a vegan blt. The most time consuming part is making the mushroom bacon. Here’s how to do it:
Mix the maple syrup, tamari sauce and oil; set it aside. Slice the mushrooms thin and arrange them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Use a pastry bruch to brush them with the seasoning oil. Sprinkle them with paprika and bake them for 20 minutes.
Remove the mushrooms from the oven and turn them over. Reduce the oven temperature and place them back in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes longer.
NOTE: At the end of the cooking process, the mushrooms will brown and crisp up quickly, check them every 5 minutes and remove slices that appear to be done.
Once the mushrooms have been cooked, remove them from the baking sheet and allow them to cool off while you are preparing the rest of the ingredients for the sandwich.
To make the sandwich, spread a teaspoon of avocado mayonnaise or mashed avocado onto a slice of bread. Top the bread with mushroom bacon strips, tomaot and lettuce.
This sandwich tastes great on whole grain toast with a homemade pickle and chips on the side. Or you can skip the bread and serve it as a salad with a lot of lettuce, tomatoes and drizzled with your favorite dressing.
All of the ingredients in this sandwich are fresh and will taste the best if they are eaten right a way. If you do have leftover mushroom bacon, store it in the fridge in an airthight container for up to 2 days. It will not be as cripsy after being stored in the fridge, you may have to pop it in the microwave or oven to crisp it up a bit.
Leftover mushroom bacon also tastes great crumbled into a salad.
Try adding any of the following to your Vegetarian BLT:
- Onion, roasted pepper or avocado slices or all of them
- Thin slices of cucumbersor zucchini
- Thin sliced sharp cheddar cheese or provolone cheese
- Swap out the lettuce with baby spinach or arugula
- Add a handful of sprouts
You Might Also Like These RecipesPrint
Smoky and salty strips of portobello mushrooms replace bacon in this vegan version of a BLT.
- Prep Time: 40
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons tamari sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 medium to large beefsteak tomato sliced
- romaine, iceburg, boston or baby romaine lettuce leaves
- 4 slices of whole wheat or whole grain bread – toasted
- pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees
- line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- slice the mushrooms as thin as you can and place them on the baking sheets in a single layer
- brush on the oil, syrup blend and sprinkle them with smoked paprika
- roast the mushroom slices in the oven for 15 minutes, by this time they should start to reduce in size
- remove them from the oven and flip them over
- lower the heat in the oven to 350 and cook them for about 10 minutes more until they shrivel, sprinkle with a dash of sea salt to taste
remove the musrhoom slices from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes
assemble the sandwiches by topping the bread or toast with avocado mayo or smashed avocado, lettuce, mushroom bacon and top with tomato
Keywords: lunch, BLT, Vegan BLT, Portobello BLT
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.