This Healthy Potato Salad recipe with Fresh Herbs is creamy and delicious even though it’s made without mayonnaise. It’s gluten-free and vegan, it is a salad everyone can enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links for more information, please see our Disclosure.
Why This Recipe Works
Unlike some potato salads that are drenched in mayonnaise, this healthy potato salad gets its flavor from fresh herbs and a zesty homemade vinaigrette which is soaked up by buttery Yukon gold potatoes. It’s slightly creamy, and a little bit salty thanks to the kalamata olives.
Once you have a bite of this, it will be your new favorite potato salad recipe. It is healthy, full of fresh flavor and it’s an easy side dish that you can and should make ahead of time.
We love to serve potato salad on the weekends with grilled burgers, like this caramelized onion burger.
Healthy Potato Salad Ingredients
This is a versatile recipe, you can use any combination of fresh herbs that you like and change up the add-ins. The list below is a base list of ingredients that I always use when I make this salad. I have included other variations later in this post.
Potatoes – The best type of potatoes to use in potato salad is yukon gold potatoes. If they are not available, look for potatoes with a low starch content such as red, new or fingerling. Russet potatoes are not a good choice, they contain too much starch and will fall apart.
Vadalia or Spanish Onions add just the right amount of sweet onion flavor to homemade potato salad.
Diced celery adds a little bit of crunch and flavor and is a classic potato salad ingredient.
Pitted kalamata olives add a touch of salty flavor to the salad.
Fresh Herbs such as basil, oregano, dill, parsley. Use just one or any combination.
Apple cider or white wine vinegar to add a tang to the salad
Olive Oil & Dijon Mustard – give the potato salad a slightly creamy texture
Here is how to make it
Please note that this a list of steps to give you an idea how to make this recipe. Full details are in the recipe card below.
- Cut the potatoes in half and place them into a saucepan, cover them with water and cook them over medium heat
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the salad ingredients by chopping the onions, celery, olives and fresh herbs and add them to a large bowl
- Mix up the dressing ingredients
- Drain and Rinse the potatoes in cold water – once they are cool enough to handle cut them into chunks
- Add the potatoes to the bowl with the salad ingredients
- Pour half of the dressing over the salad and gently stir and refrigerate for at least an hour. During this time most of the dressing will be absorbed by the potatoes the reserved dressing is poured over just before serving for a flavorful,creamy, and healthy potato salad
Total Estimated Time to Make this Recipe: 30 to 40 minutes
- Be sure that the potato halves are similar in size before cooking them so that they will cook evenly, you may need to cut some of them into quarters or thirds for large potatoes.
- Leave the skin on the potatoes for extra fiber and vitamins.
- Mix the ingredients for the salad in a large bowl which will make it easy to make sure all of the ingredients are covered with the dressing. This is my favorite stainless steel bowl for mixing salads.
- Healthy potato salad with fresh herbs can be made a day ahead of time. Combine all of the ingredient and use only of the dressing and adding the remainder just before serving.
- Change up the herbs. Add any combination of herbs such as, basil, oregano, parsley, tarragon, thyme, dill, as long as it is 1/4 cup in total.
- Add in any combination of these: one chopped hard-boiled egg, 2 slices of crumbled bacon, 1/4 cup feta cheese, 1 tablespoon sweet or dill relish, 2 tablespoons chopped dill or sweet pickles.
- If you really can’t live without mayonnaise in your potato salad, add a tablespoon or two.