Cilantro lime shrimp is a combination of steamed shrimp, cilantro, lime, garlic, and oil. It tastes great as an appetizer, stuffed in an avocado or served over a bed of greens. It’s just perfect for warm weather entertaining or simple and light dinner.
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Packed Cilantro
A Simple Shrimp Recipe
This is a simple little dish filled with fresh and vibrant flavors.The combination of cilantro, lime and garlic is always a refreshing blend, and it is a match made in heaven for mild tasting shrimp.
Rather than sauteeing the shrimp, I steam them quickly, drain them and toss them in the cilantro, lime and oil mixture. The result is a light and delicate, yet full of flavor shirmp dish.
Serve cilantro lime shrimp at room temperature or make it ahead of time and serve it chilled. Our personal preference is chilled and over a bed of greens.
Here’s How to Make it
This is a very quick recipe to make. While the shrimp is cooking and cooling, chop the garlic and cilantro. Prepare the dressing by combining the olive oil, chopped garlic, cilantro and citrus juices. Once the shrimp has been drained and slightly cooled add the dressing and serve at room temperature or cold.
Total Estimated Time to Make this Recipe: 20 to 30 Minutes
Cilantro Lime Shrimp Recipe Tips & Variations
How to easily devein shrimp
The easiest way to devein shrimp is to remove the peel from the shrimp starting from the underside by pinching the legs and pulling the shell off. Once the shell is removed, use a pairing knife to make a slit down the back of the shrimp to remove the intestine, then rinse.
How to perfectly cook shrimp on top of the stove
Add water to a suacepan to fill it about ¼ way, cover and bring the water to a boil. Once the water boils, add the cleaned shrimp to the saucepan and cover.
Allow the water to come to a boil again (this will happen quickly). As soon as the water boils, remove the covered pan from the heat and let is sit for a few minutes until the shrimp turns pink and feel tender. Rinse them in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Use all lemon juice and chopped parsley or a combination of chopped parsley and cilantro with lemon juice.
- Add Spice. Chop a jalapeno pepper and add it to the dressing
Here Are a Few More Recipes that you Might Enjoy
- 1 pound shrimp
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice - about 1 to 2 limes and ½ to 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves of crushed garlic (to taste)
- ½ cup fresh packed cilantro
Prepare the Ingredients
- Add to a medium sized sauce pan water filled ¼ of the way and place over medium to high heat
- Clean and devein the shrimp (a pairing knife or a shrimp cleaner works well for this)
- Remove the thick bottom stems from the cilantro and set them aside. Chop the upper portion of the cilantro with a sharp knife including the thin stems.
- Crush the garlic using a garlic crusher and place into a jar or small bowl
- Squeeze and measure the lime and lemon juices, and place in a jar or small bowl. Little mason jars work well for this.
Make the shrimp
- Once the water boils, add the shrimp - cover it and turn off the heat
- Allow the shrimp sit for 4 to 5 minutes until it is cooked through
- Drain and rinse the cooked shrimp in cold water to stop the cooking
- Place the cooked shrimp into a bowl
Make the dressing
- Remove the bottom stems from the cilantro and set aside
- Using a food processor or sharp knife chop the cilantro and add it to the jar with the measured juices and garlic
- Add the olive oil and shake the jar or whisk with a fork to combine
Assemble the Dish
- Add the chopped cilantro, and pour the mixture over the shrimp
- Serve the shrimp at room temperature or refrigerate and serve chilled
Shrimp is s perfectly cooked once the outside turns pink and the flesh turns translucent. Shrimp cooks quickly, you can avoid over-cooking the shrimp by turning off the heat once the shrimp are added to the boiling water. Wait a few minutes until they turn pink and feel tender, then rinse in cold water to stop the cooking.
Change it up. Use all lemon juice and chopped parsley or a combination of chopped parsley and cilantro with lemon juice.
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: ¼ pound shrimp
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g