This spicy buffalo cauliflower bites recipe is made with lightly battered cauliflower and cooked to perfection in the air fryer for a tasty vegetarian snack.
First, let me say these spicy bites of cauliflower do not taste like chicken. They taste like cauliflower! The tasty buffalo sauce that coats the little bites makes the cauliflower taste that much better.
If you love the flavor of buffalo sauce and cauliflower even if it’s just a little bit, you will like these spicy cauliflower bites. I have a few cauliflower skeptics in my house and they gladly devour these.
Spicy cauliflower bites are low carb and a great way to feel less guilty about eating fried buffalo wings. Serve them with a side of healthy blue cheese dip for a tasty appetizer.
A Different Way to Make Spicy Cauliflower Bites
Have you noticed that there are so many recipes to make buffalo cauliflower bites? You can fry them, make them in the oven, or in an air fryer.
In this recipe the cauliflower is tossed in a light batter and cooked until it is almost done. Then the hot sauce is brushed on the florets and cooked for a few minutes longer.
Making it this way allows you to control the amount of hot sauce on the cauliflower. If you like your cauliflower really hot, slather on the sauce.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
Here is What You Will Need
- whole wheat flour
- sea salt
- garlic powder
- hot sauce – I’ve tried several versions and Franks is the best
- an air fryer Preferably one with shelves
Here Is how to Make this Recipe
Mix up the batter ingredients and add water
Add the cauliflower to the batter
Place the batter coated cauliflower onto the racks of the air-fryer
Set the temperature and time on the air fryer and cook them until they start to turn brown.
Carefully remove the trays from the air fryer and brush them with the hot sauce mixture.
Bake the cauliflower for a few minutes longer and enjoy!
Don’t Have an Air Fryer? Try the Oven Method
It’s easy to make these in the oven. All that you need is a baking rack and a sheet pan. Place the baking rack over the sheet pan and arrange the batter coated cauliflower on the rack. Bake the cauliflower bites at 400 for 15 minutes. Brush on the hot sauce and butter mixture and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer.
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites Recipe Tips and Variations
- Tip! Make sure the cauliflower florets are cut into similar sizes for even cooking.
- If you go light on the hot sauce, you might have some hot sauce left over. Store it in a container in your refrigerator for 7 to 10 days.
- Use an equal amount of almond flour for a gluten free option,
- Substitute olive or avocado oil for the butter for a vegan option.
If You Like Buffalo Sauce, Try These
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup hot sauce such as Frank's
- Rinse and cut the cauliflower into bite sized pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, garlic, paprika and water together until it forms a batte
- Add the cauliflower to the bowl of batter and stir until the pieces are well coated with the batter (you may have to do this in batches for a larger head of cauliflower)
- Remove the cauliflower florets from the batter and arrange them onto the trays of the air fryer
- Set the air fryer to 20 minutes at 400 degrees
- While the cauliflower is cooking, melt the butter and add the hot sauce to it and set it aside
- Using a pastry brush, brush the hot sauce mixture onto the cauliflower pieces making sure all sides are covered. You can adjust the amount of hot sauce to your taste.
- Set the air fryer to 400 and cook for 10 to 15 minutes longer depending on how you like the texture
Place the baking rack on top of the sheet pan and arrange the batter coated cauliflower on the rack. Bake the cauliflower bites at 400 for 15 minutes. Brush on the hot sauce and butter mixture and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 1146mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information is provided by an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.