Spicy chicken tenders are a twist on traditional chicken tenders. They are coated in a cayenne spiced bread crumb mix then cooked in an air fryer to crispy perfection. Serve them with a side of bbq yogurt sauce for the perfect blend of spicy, sweet and tart.
Please Note: I recieved bbq sauce from bbq beast in exchange for this post, as always all opinions are my own.
Why this recipe works
- It’s a healthier way to enjoy chicken tenders, perfect for an easy dinner or appetizer.
- It’s easy to make and less mess, no oil and air fried jump to the recipe to see how to make it.
- The dipping sauce adds a cooling element to the spicy chicken.
What You will need
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
- Whole wheat panko bread crumbs are larger in size than traditional bread crumbs and are perfect for air frying. They add just the right amount of crunch. You can also used regular bread crumbs which will be less cripsy.
- Egg – helps to hold the crumbs to the chicken tenders. If you don’t have an egg, you can brush the tenders with oil.
- Chicken tenders are already the perfect size for this recipe. You can also slice boneless chicken breasts into strips.
- Dried oregano, thyme, paprika, cayenne pepper, onion & garlic powder – even though I usually recommend fresh herbs, dried herbs work best to season bread crumbs.
- Yogurt – Any type of plain unsweetened yogurt can be used here. We prefer Greek for its creamy texture.
- Barbecue Sauce – A sweeter and not spicy flavor like this Carolina Sauce from Bar-B-Que Beast works well with the spicy tenders.
How to Make It
Mix the spices into the bread crumbs
Pat the chicken tenders with a paper towel to dry them and dip them into the egg mixture
Next dip them into the bread crumb mixture making sure that they are completely coated with crumbs.
Place the chicken tenders on a tray in the air fryer and bake.
Mix up the bbq yogurt sauce while the chicken is cooking and serve.
Don’t have an air fryer? No problem, these can be made in the oven by placing them on a parchment lined baking sheet in the oven and bake until they become cripsy.
TIP! Add a baking rack to the baking pan and cook the chicken tenders on top of it. This will allow the air to circulate around the chicken tenders for crispness.
Make Ahead and Storage Instructions
Spicy chicken tenders can easily be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To serve; remove them from the refrigerator and place them on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 10 to 15 minutes until they are heated through.
Freeze the chicken tenders after they have been cooked, place them in a freezer container and freeze them for up to 2 months. To serve; remove them from the freezer, place them on a baking sheet and heat them in the oven at 350 until they are heated through – approximately 30 minutes.
NOTE: Re-heated chicken tenders may not be as crispy as when they are freshly made.
For a less spicy version use less cayenne pepper or leave it out completely.
Make them Gluten Free; use one cup of finely chopped almonds or walnuts in place of the panko bread crumbs.
You might like these air fryer recipes
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.
- Curry Barbecue Chickpea and Eggplant Tacos by Savory Moments
- Barbecue Seafood Skewers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Curry Barbecue Chicken by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Southern BBQ Tri Tip Sandwiches by The Freshman Cook
- Spicy BBQ Diablo Chicken by Cookaholic Wife
- Air Fryer BBQ Wings by Books n’ Cooks
- Barbecue Shrimp and Cheesy Grits By Making Miracles