Blueberry barbecue sauce is naturally sweet with a little bit of tang. It’ tastes great slathered on grilled chicken, pork or tofu.
This post may contain affiliate links for more information, please see our Disclosure.
Homemade Is Always Better
After searching high and low for a barbecue sauce that doesn’t have a lot of added sugar or high fructose corn syrup, I decided to start making my own.
Homemade always tastes better, and when I realized how easy barbecue sauce is to make, homemade has become a regular when we serve barbecue sauce.
Blueberries are in season and when they are combined with a little bit of maple syrup, they add a subtle sweet flavor to the barbecue sauce. Don’t you love the dark purple color?
Sweetening recipes with fresh fruit is something do a lot. I then adjust the sweetness at the end of preparation with a natural sweetener like maple syrup or honey. It’s an easy way to control the amount of sugar in a recipe.
The key to fresh tasting homemade food is to start out with quality ingredients, and barbecue sauce is no exception. Here is what you will need to make homemade blueberry barbecue sauce:
- Organic Ketchup that is naturally sweet, my preference is Veg’d Ketchup – it even has hidden veggies in it!
- Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Fresh Garlic
- Maple Syrup
- Chipotle Chili Powder
Recipe steps to make Homemade Blueberry Barbecue Sauce
Please note that this a list of steps to give you an idea how to make this recipe. Full details are in the recipe card below.
- Wash and dry the blueberries, and add them to a sauce pan
- Crush the garlic using a garlic crusher and add it to the pan with the blueberries
- Add all of the ingredients to a sauce pan and cook on low heat and adjust the sweetness
Total estimated time to make this recipe: 30 to 40 minutes
Blueberry Barbecue Sauce Recipe Tips
- For a smooth bbq sauce, use an immersion blender after the sauce has finished cooking and blend until smooth
- If you don’t have fresh blueberries, you can use frozen blueberries
- Change it up! Substitute the blueberries for 1 cup of raspberries or blackberries
- This sauce tastes great smeared on grilled chicken, pork or tofu
You Might Also Like These Summer Recipes
Buy 1 Get 1 Free !! – Try out Veg’d Ketchup, Enter BOGO at checkout and get one free!