Simple stuffed peppers vegetarian style are filled with plant based protein and flavor. They are so hearty and satisfying, you won’t miss the meat. But if you do, there’s an option to add some meat.
- A healthy and easy recipe that can be made ahead of time (see make ahead instructions)
- Vegetarian & gluten-free with an option to add meat (see add meat)
- An adaptable and versatile recipe (see recipe variations)
Here is what you will need
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
- Bell Peppers of any color or mix and match them. I like a variety for a colorful presentation.
- Cooked quinoa Red or white quinoa will work.
- Olive oil
- Fresh Garlic
- Diced tomatoes – Fresh taste best if you have them. If not canned organic diced tomatoes will work
- Black Beans
- Chili powder
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh oregano
- Lime Juice from a lime
- Shredded pepper jack cheese, queso fresco or cotija cheese
Estimated Time To Make This Recipe: 35 to 45 Minutes
A quick and easy meatless dinner
Bell peppers can be stuffed with just about anything from ground meat and rice, cheese, beans, vegetables or any combination above. This recipe is one of our favorites, it is vegetarian with a Southwest flair. They taste great with a side salad and a dollop of fresh, homemade guacamole on the side.
The ingredients list may be a long one, but this recipe comes together quickly. The quinoa and beans add protein, and when they are cooked with tomatoes the texture resembles ground meat. If you prefer meat in your stuffed peppers, there are instructions below for adding meat.
Make Ahead Instructions
This recipe is perfect for meal prep. It can easily be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator without adding the cheese for up to 2 days. When it’s time for dinner, add freshly shredded cheese and pop them in the oven for a quick 20 minutes. Be sure to make extra for leftovers because vegetarian stuffed peppers are so easy to re-heat in the microwave.
Leftover stuffed peppers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days in an airtight container. They can be reaheated in the microwave or cover them and place them in a preheated 350 oven for approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
Make it Vegan
Leave out the cheese and add 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast to the filling for a cheesy flavor.
Brown a quarter to one half pound of ground beef, chicken or turkey to the stuffing mixture and reduce the quinoa to 1 to 1 1/2 cups.
Make an Italian version
Skip the chili powder, cumin, cilantro and black beans. Add 1 tablespoon chopped basil, 1 cup white beans, an extra clove of chopped garlic and top them with mozzarella cheese.
Change up the whole grains
Any type of whole grain can be used in place of quinoa in this recipe. Try an equal amount of cooked brown rice, farro, wheatberries, millet, couscous or barley.
You Might Also Like these Plant Based Meal IdeasPrint
Simple Stuffed Peppers
Simple Stuffed peppers are made with quinoa and beans for a hearty vegetarian dinner.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- 4 bell peppers
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion (approximately one small onion)
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 cups diced tomatoes (Fresh or canned)
- 1 cups black beans (canned and rinsed or cooked)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or shredded pepper jack cheese
- Cut the stems off of the peppers and slice the peppers in half vertically. Remove the membrane and set them aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a saute pan and ad the garlic and onions – cook until they begin to soften.
- Add the quinoa, tomatoes, beans, and chili powder and cilantro; mix well
- Next, stir in the lime juice mix until all ingredients are combined
- scoop the mixture into each pepper half top with cheese and bake at 350 for 20 minutes until heated through.
Vegan – omit the cheese and add 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
Meat – add 1/4 to 1/2 pound organic/sustainable ground meat of choice and reduce quinoa to 1 cup
Keywords: simple stuffed peppers, stuffed peppers vegetarian, vegetarian stuffed peppers