Mixed Berry Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips is a creamy, fruity fresh and delicious bowl of ice cream that’s made with only a few ingredients.
This recipe was originally posted in 2016, the photos and recipe have been updated.
Here is What You Will Need
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
- Heavy Cream
- Whole Milk
- Coconut Sugar
- Frozen or Fresh Mixed Berries (any combination of raspberries, blackberries, blue berries and strawberries).
- Electric Ice Cream Maker
Estimated Time To Make This Recipe: 50 to 60 minutes
How to make ice cream in an ice cream maker
There are many ways to make homemade ice cream in an ice cream maker. Some recipes use a custard base made with eggs and cream and cooked on the stove before it goes into the ice cream maker. I like to keep the ingredient list and the process simple.
Even though the eggs enhance the creaminess and keep the ice cream from melting too quickly, I prefer the quick version. All that needs to be done is pour the ingredients into the ice cream maker, turn it on and come back in about 30 minutes for a frosty and delicious bowl of fresh homemade ice cream.
Electric ice cream makers not only make the process simpler, they also make the best ice cream. Newer ice cream makers come with a freezer bowl which holds the ice cream base while it churns and freezes into a really smooth and creamy ice cream.
Once you have a taste of freshly churned ice cream it will be hard to think about eating it any other way.
Recipe Tips & Variations
Before you begin to make the ice cream, make sure the freezer bowl is completely frozen overnight or even 24 hours. Take the bowl out of the freezer just before you are ready to pour the ice cream base into the bowl. This will ensure that the ice cream will begin freezing immediately.
Tip! Store the freezer bowl in your freezer all of the time so it’s ready to go.
Ice Cream Texutre
Once the ice cream has finished churning, it will be similar to the texture of soft serve ice cream. If you prefer a harder texture, spoon the churned ice cream into a freezer container and freeze it for at least an hour before serving.
- Any combination of berries can be used in this recipe and they can be fresh or frozen. I used blueberries, raspberries and blackberries in this recipe.
- Frozen berries contain more liquid than fresh berries, be sure to completely drain the liquid from them bfore adding them to the ice cream mixture. It will help to keep the ice cream thick and creamy.
- This recipe uses very little sugar, if you prefer a sweeter ice cream, add ¼ to ½ cup more to taste.
- Substitute the berries with fresh or frozen peaches and leave out the chocolate chips.
- Leave out the fruit for a vanilla chocolate chip version.
Store your leftover ice cream in a freezer container for up to six months.
You Might Like These Recipes
- Dark Chocolate Almond Bites
- Healthier Peanut Blossom Cookies
- 3 Ingredient No Bake Brownies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups organic whipping cream
- 2 cups organic whole milk
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups fresh or frozen mixed berries
- 4 ounces dark organic chocolate
- Place the berries into a bowl and sprinkle them with ¼ cup coconut sugar and let them sit for 30 minutes.
- Mix the cream and sugar together with a wire whisk and blend well. Add the vanilla and set it aside.
- Drain the berries and coarsely chop them.
- Add the berries to the cream mixture and pour the mixture into the frozen freezer bowl
- Turn the ice cream maker on and churn for 30 minutes
- Stir in the chocolate chunks by hand.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: ½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 271Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 36mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is provided by an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.