Blackberries and dark chocolate are mixed into a rich and creamy homemade ice cream.
Happy Memorial Day Weekend! Even though Father’s Day is a few weeks away, I thought I would re-post one of my favorite homemade ice cream recipes from last year to celebrate the unofficial start of summer and of course in a few weeks, Father’s Day!
“Sharing Dad’s Favorite Recipes in honor of all dad’s! Father’s day is just around the corner and this is the time to share our memories and recipes relating to our dads and father figures! Does your dad love to cook or would he rather leave that to someone else? What is his favorite recipe he likes to make or have made for him? Is your dad the king of the grill (or not!)? Let’s share stories about dads/father figures and all the delicious foods they loved to eat or make!”
My dad loved to cook. The only problem with his cooking skills was that he didn’t know how to make just a little bit of something, so we always had leftovers when he made dinner. He would make a pot of soup that was big enough to feed the whole neighborhood and then some. But that was not a problem when he made homemade ice cream, it was gone in no time. It was a process when he made ice cream with his hand crank ice cream maker. My siblings and I would take turns turning the crank until we had ice cream and tired arms. I’m sure dad would love the new automatic ice cream makers as much as I do.
My Dad’s favorite flavor of ice cream was black raspberry with chocolate chips sprinkled on top. Up until recently, I thought black raspberries were blackberries with another name, but they are actually two different berries that look similar. Black raspberries are the same color as blackberries but they look like raspberries with the hollow center. Blackberries are usually larger and do not have the hollow center. Since black raspberries are not as easy to find as blackberries are, I adapted my recipe and used blackberries – I don’t think anyone will get too upset 🙂 .
I don’t eat ice cream that often, and when I do it’s always homemade – it tastes sooo much better. When this ice cream is finished it will be similar to the texture of soft serve which is my favorite. If you like your ice cream hard, place it in the freezer for an hour or so before serving.
- 2 cups organic whipping cream
- 2 cups organic whole milk
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces dark organic chocolate
- place the blackberries into a bowl and sprinkle with ¼ cup coconut sugar - let sit for 30 minutes
- mix the cream and sugar together with a wire whisk and blend well add the vanilla and set aside
- drain the liquid from the blackberries and pour into the cream mixture
- coarsely chop the berries and add to the cream mixture and mix well
- add the mixture to the frozen bowl of the ice cream maker and churn for 30 minutes
- chop the chocolate and mix into the ice cream by hand
My Ingredient Picks:
Tools Used for This Recipe:
- Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker – Making your own ice cream is an absolute breeze with this!