Jalapeno poppers with a healthy twist are stuffed with wholesome ingredients, then grilled for an extra smoky flavor. They are a perfect finger food for game day snacking.
Can you believe it’s September already? School is back, the days are getting shorter, there’s a bit of a chill in the air which means it’s time for football! This week we are serving up some football finger foods for #Sundaysupper with 20+ football finger food recipes.
Even though I am surrounded by football lovers in my family, I am not a fan at all. I’m the person that’s pretending to enjoy the game, but I’m really there for the food 😍🥗🍴. I mean aren’t football party snacks the best ever?
Jalapeno poppers are a favorite game day snack in our house, especially this time of year when the garden is still overflowing with peppers.
Most jalapeno poppers are made with cream cheese, bacon and cheddar which makes me a little sad that all of that cheese and bacon is interfering with the health benefits of a pepper. So I put a healthy spin on them. I used Greek yogurt with a little bit of cream cheese for the base. Instead of bacon I grilled a red bell pepper and added some smoked paprika to give these poppers a little bit of texture and a smoky flavor. Here’s how you make them.
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded
- 5 to 6 jalapeno peppers sliced in half lengthwise and seeded
- ½ cup of Greek or Icelandic yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 green onions sliced
- ¼ cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
- a handful of fresh chopped cilantro
- preheat grill to medium high heat
- place the bell peppers skin side down on grill, close lid cook until skin has blackened about 10 minutes
- flip over and cook covered for 5 minutes more and remove from grill and place in a bowl and cover.
- allow peppers to cool, peel off the black skin and dice the pepper into small pieces
- mix the bell pepper, paprika, green onions, Greek yogurt and cream cheese together in a bowl
- stuff each pepper with the mixture, and top with a sprinkle of cheddar
- place the jalapenos on grill and grill over medium heat until they begin to soften and cheese melts.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro just before serving
Football Party Finger Food #SundaySupper
Finger-licking Football Party Finger Food
- Apple Kielbasa Stack by The Freshman Cook
- Asian Style Chicken Lettuce Wraps by What Smells So Good?
- Bacon Wrapped Pickle Spears by Our Good Life
- Baked Jalapeno Poppers by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Bite Sized Beer Cheese Sandwiches by Soulfully Made
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza Bites with Blue Cheese Dip by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Candied Bacon Wrapped Lil’ Smokies by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Copycat Hooter’s Fried Pickles by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Pesto Palmiers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- French Onion Dip by Pies and Plots
- Gluten Free Jamaican Beef Patties by Cricket’s Confections
Flavorful Football Party Finger Food
- Grilled Jalapeno Poppers by Simple and Savory
- Mini Spinach Calzones by Jonesin’ For Taste
- Peanut Butter-Stuffed Chocolate Cookies by Books n’ Cooks
- Pigs In A Blanket by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Popcorn Chicken 3 Ways by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sausage Rolls by Caroline’s Cooking
- Smokey Spiced Nuts by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Tortilla-Crusted Chicken Fingers with Salsa-Ranch Dipping Sauce by The Weekend Gourmet
- Totchos by Palatable Pastime
- How to Make Potato Skinsby Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.