Sweet and spicy pecans are a copycat version of Trader Joe’s sweet and spicy pecans recipe. It’s an easy recipe to make with only six simple ingredients!
These pecans are an addicting spicy mix of flavors and are the perfect snack for when you want to eat something sweet with a hint of spice at the same time. You are going to want to make a second batch because they are absolutely delicious!
Thank you Millican Pecan for sending me product to make this recipe. As always all opinions are my own.
Nuts are our favorite snacks, we like to spice them up or coat them in dark chocolate, like these almond cashew clusters.
Why This Recipe Works
- It’s a simple recipe to make that’s filled with healthy fats and perfect for a snack.
- The flavor combination will satify your craving for spicy and will even tame your sweet tooth!
Here is What You Will Need
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe, scroll down to see ingredient notes and substitutions as well as a printable recipe card with exact measurements and complete cooking instructions.
Raw pecan halves
Here’s How to Make Sweet and Spicy Pecans
Prepare: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Step 1. Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Step 2. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the maple syrup, cayenne pepper, sea salt, and cinnamon. Stir for 2 to 3 minutes and turn the heat off and stir in the pecan halves.
Step 3. Stir the mixture until the salt dissolves and the syrup is mixed in, and the mixture is smooth.
Step 4. Stir in the pecans making sure they are evenly coated with the syrup mixture.
Step 3. Arrange the coated pecans on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer, and place them in the oven to bake for 10 to 15 minutes. They will turn from light brown to a rich brown color.
Tip! The roasted nuts might be a little syrupy when they are first out of the oven, they will dry out as they cool off and become crisp.
Step 4. Remove the pecans from the oven and let them sit for about 20 minutes which will allow them to crisp up.
Total Estimated Time to Make this Recipe: 30 Minutes
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
Pecan Halves. Even though we like pecans the best in this recipe, they can be substituted with walnut halves, cashews, or almonds.
Maple Syrup. Liquid sweeteners melt better than granulated or brown sugar, so any natural liquid sweetener such as brown rice syrup, tapioca syrup, honey, agave nectar can be equally swapped with maple syrup.
Cayenne Pepper. This is what adds spice to this recipe. If you don’t like heat it can be left out or cut back on the amount of pepper.
Sea Salt. If you don’t have sea salt, it can be swapped one for one with kosher salt.
Coconut oil. You can substitute coconut oil one for one with melted butter. or even olive oil.
How to Store Them
Store your sweet and spicy pecans at room temperature in a glass container, Mason Jars are perfect for this!
Note: Storing sweet and spicy pecans in a plastic container or bag is not recommended, as they might become soggy.
Sweet Chili Pecans Instead of cayenne pepper add 1 to 1 ½ teaspoons of chili powder.
Sweet Bourbon Pecans Add 1 ½ tablespoons of bourbon and leave out the cayenne pepper.
Sweet & Spicy Chocolate Pecans Add 1 ½ tablespoons of cocoa powder.
These spicy pecans are also a great recipe for the holiday season, you can serve them to guests or give them out as Christmas gifts in mason jars wrapped in a pretty ribbon.
You Might Like These Recipes Too!
Join Our Mailing List to Recieve Weekly Menu Ideas and More!
- Prepare: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Measure the ingredients.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the oil has melted, reduce the heat to low and stir in the maple syrup, cayenne pepper, sea salt, and cinnamon. Stir for 2 to 3 minutes and turn the heat off and add the pecans.
- Arrange the coated pecan halves on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Place the sheet of pecans into the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.\
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let them sit fo about 20 minutes which will allow them to crisp up.
The nuts may be a little syrupy when you take them out of the oven. They will dry ou as they cool off.
Pecans can be substituted with walnuts, cashews, or almonds.
Maple Syrup can be substituted with any natural liquid sweetener such as brown rice syrup, tapioca syrup, honey, agave nectar.
Cayenne Pepper can be left out if you don't like the heat or just add a pinch.
Sea Salt can be substituted with kosher salt.
Coconut oil. Substitute one for one with butter, pecan oil or olive oil.
Sweet chili pecans - replace cayenne pepper with 1 to 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
Sweet Bourbon Pecans - Add 1 ½ tablespoons of bourbon and leave out the cayenne pepper.
Sweet and Spicy Chocolate Pecans Add 1 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder - adjust the sweetener to your taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 67mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is provided by an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.
More #FallFlavors Recipes Below:
Appetizers and Snacks
- Fall Charcuterie Board from The Spiffy Cookie
- Pear And Caramelized Onion Flatbread from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet And Spicy Pecans from Simple and Savory
Breakfast and Baked Goods
- Apple Cinnamon Bread from Life Love and Good Food
- Apple Pecan Scones from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Gf Apple Cider Doughnuts from Frugal & Fit
- Pecan Cinnamon Sugar Baked Apple Donuts from Jen around the world
Soups and Salads
- Air Fryer “Roasted” Brussels Sprouts from Books n’ Cooks
- Balsamic Glazed Cipolline Onions from West Via Midwest
- Roasted Cipolline Onions With Sherry Vinegar And Thyme from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Roasted Fall Vegetable Medley from Family Around The Table
- Vegan Butternut Squash And Chestnut Kebabs from Magical Ingredients
- Cider Brined Baked Chicken from Palatable Pastime
- Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Air Fryer Apple Fritters from Devour Dinner
- Apple Cider Tea Madeleines from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Apple Crumb Bars from SueBee Homemaker
- Apple Nachos from Take Two Tapas
- Butterscotch Blondies from That Recipe
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes from Fresh April Flours
- Fall Fruit Galette from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Giant Butterscotch Cookies from An Affair from the Heart
- Gluten-Free Apple Pie from The Fresh Cooky
- Mini Pumpkin Cheesecake from Art of Natural Living
- Pear & Butternut Squash Crisp from Savory Moments
- Pecan Pound Cake from Soulfully Made
- Sour Cream Apple Pie from House of Nash Eats
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe from Lemon Blossoms
Welcome to #FallFlavors where more than 25 food bloggers are sharing recipes with favorite Fall flavors. Our sponsors, Millican Pecan, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Nairn’s, and Republic of Tea, have furnished participating bloggers with complimentary product to use in their recipe creations that they will be sharing this week. These same sponsors have generously offered prizes for our giveaway so be sure to enter and share with your friends so they can enter too. Be sure to follow our Fall Flavors Pinterest account for more inspiration.
Prize 1: Texas Pecan Candy Basket from Millican Pecan
The Millican Pecan Texas Pecan Candy Basket is loaded with a variety of pecan gifts. Includes 6 Milk Chocolate Pecan Clusters, 6 Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles), 6 White Chocolate Caramillicans, 6 Pecan Pralines, and a ½ lb. Bag of Flavored Pecans! Every bit DELICIOUS! A $75 value.
Prize 2: Williams Sonoma Cleartouch Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set from Dixie Crystals
Perfect for the occasional baker, our entry-level collection features a sturdy nonstick silicone coating at a great value. Aluminized steel, the material of choice for professional bakers, provides excellent heat transfer for even baking, so food turns out beautifully and releases easily, every time. 6-Piece Set includes: Half-sheet pan, 12-cup muffin pan, round cake pan, square cake pan, rectangular cake pan, loaf pan. An $80 value.
Prize 3: 3 Month Melissa’s Produce Gift Subscription
A stunning selection of the most delicious produce will be delivered once a month for 3 months. At Melissa’s, the produce is selected at their peak of perfection and packed by hand to ensure safe arrival. A $124 value.
Prize 4: A Red Dancing Leaves Teapot and a tin of Hot Apple Cider Tea from The Republic of Tea
Let the aroma of fresh apple and mulled cider spices envelop you as you sip this golden infusion. The crisp, lingering finish will leave you wanting more! A naturally-caffeine free blend of apples, cinnamon cloves and ginger. Reminiscent of apple cider, with the luscious aroma of cinnamon and cloves, make this cup the perfect accompaniment to the colors of the harvest season.
Embossed, windswept leaves whirl across this 20 oz ceramic teapot. Includes a stainless steel infuser. An exclusive design by The Republic of Tea. A $44 value
Prize 5: A selection of six flavors of Oat Crackers from Nairn’s
One winner will receive a box of each Nairn’s Original, Chocolate Chip, Stem Ginger Oat Grahams, Caramelized Onions, Rosemary & Sea Salt Flatbreads, and Oat Cracker. Nairn’s has been baking oats since 1896. They use simple, natural, and wholesome ingredients in their products. Minimum $25 value
Prize 6: A Selection of extracts from Taylor and Colledge.
One winner will receive a selection of extracts to include vanilla bean, almond, lemon, and lavender. In 1897, Taylor & Colledge won its first award for excellence in vanilla. Since then, the Taylor & Colledge commitment for unsurpassed quality has earned its reputation as one of the world’s finest producers of vanilla. Minimum of $25 value
Six (6) winners will be randomly selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #FallFlavors bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway and the contest is open only to US residents. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors posts or entries. Thank you to our sponsors Millican Pecan Company, Dixie Crystals, Melissa’s Produce, Taylor & Colledge, Republic of Tea, and Nairn’s for providing prizes.