Healthier homemade chocolate chip cookies are buttery, crisp around the edges and filled with dark chocolate chips. They are a better for you version and there are options to make them gluten-free and vegan.
A Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
I won’t say that this is a recipe for healthy chocolate chip cookies, because I don’t think there are any healthy cookie recipes. But these chocolate chip cookies are healthier, and they might become your new favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.
I tweaked my family’s treasured chocolate chip cookie recipe to make a better for you version. There aren’t any crazy ingredients, only good old fashioned natural ingredients. Just like these healthy almond joy bites or these no-bake fudge brownies are.
Here is What You Will Need
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
- Unsalted butter – Unsalted butter is better for baking than salted because we are looking for a buttery flavor without the salt. If possible, look for butter from grass fed cows or organic.
- Coconut sugar – Coconut sugar is a little better for you than refined sugar. It is not as processed , and has some trace minerals in it. However, sugar is sugar in any form, and less is always better.
- Whole wheat flour – Whole wheat flour is less processed than white flour. It’s higher in fiber and contains more vitamins and minerals.
- Dark Chocolate Chips – Use chips that have at least 60% cocoa, the higher the cocoa the better.
- Sea Salt – Sea salt is less processed than table salt, and I prefer to use it in place of table salt. If you don’t have sea salt, use an equal amount of table salt.
- Baking Soda
- Walnuts or pecans – roughly chopped
- Parchment Paper
- Cookie Sheet
How to make Easy Healthier Chocolate Chip cookies
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl
- Mix the butter and coconut sugar together
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the butter mixture
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the egg and butter mixture
- Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts
- Place the cookie dough on cookie sheets
- Bake for 12 minutes
How to Make Healthy Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Replace the whole wheat flour with 3 cups almond flour
- Use 6 tablespoons butter in place of 8 (1/2 cup)
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Use two flax eggs in place of eggs (one tablespoon flax seed meal plus three tablespoons water per egg)
- Replace the butter with and equal amount of coconut oil
- Use vegan chocolate chips
Try These Healthier RecipesPrint
Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Made Healthier with Gluten Free & Vegan Options
These homemade chocolate chip cookies are about to become your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. They are better for you, and there are options to make these chocolate chip cookies gluten-free and vegan.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 12
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 and line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Combine the flour(2 1/2 cups), baking soda (1 teaspoon), and salt (1/2 teaspoon) in a bowl and set aside
- Mix the butter (1/2 cup) and sugar (3/4 cup) in a separate bowl and beat with a mixer or wooden spoon until creamy
- Blend in the eggs (2) and vanilla (1 teaspoon) and gradually mix the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the nuts and chips using an ice cream scoop – scoop out the dough and place onto the parchment lined baking sheet bake for 12 minutes.
Make these cookies gluten-free:
- use 3 cups almond flour in place of whole wheat flour
- use 6 tablespoons of butter on place of 1/2 cup
Make these cookies vegan:
- Replace butter with 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- Replace eggs with flax eggs ( 1 tablespoon flax seed meal with 3 tablespoons water per egg)
- Use vegan chocolate chips
Make them gluten-free and vegan by combining all substitutes above
Keywords: cookies, chocolate chip cookies, gluten-free chocolate chip cookies