A few years ago I discovered just how easy it is to make homemade cranberry sauce and it’s been on my holiday table ever since. Not only does homemade cranberry sauce taste better, you can control the ingredients. This cranberry sauce is a little tart, If you prefer a really sweet cranberry sauce, you can add a little more sweetener. This recipe is naturally sweetened with fresh orange juice and honey. Once you have a taste of homemade cranberry sauce you will never go back to the canned sauce.
Here is what you will need to make this homemade cranberry sauce: Fresh or frozen cranberries, orange juice, orange zest, maple syrup and ginger.
This recipe was originally posted in November, 2016. Pictures and recipe have been tweaked and updated.
Tips for Making Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- The Cranberries. Fresh are the best. If they aren’t available frozen cranberries will work too. If you use fresh cranberries, look for berries that are bright red and not wrinkled.
- The Sweetener. Cranberries are very tart, natural sweetener is a must, skip refined sugar or artificial sweeteners. A combination of honey and fresh orange juice sweeten up this sauce nicely.
- The Juice. Fresh orange juice, water or a combination of the two.
- Cook it. Add the ingredients to a pan and wait for the berries to pop.
Homemade Cranberry Sauce Variations
- Add a diced apple or pear to the pan with the cranberries, honey and water, and leave out the orange juice
- Replace the juice or water with a light white or red wine and add some cinnamon and nutmeg
- Add a diced jalapeno pepper for a spicy sauce
- Add any combination of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, mint, lemon zest, orange zest
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Homemade cranberry sauce is so easy to make with only a few simple ingredients!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 25
- Yield: 16 1x
- 2 cups of fresh cranberries
- 1 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- 3 to 4 tablespoons honey
- Place all of the ingredients into a saucepan
- Cook at medium heat stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes mashing the cranberries as they pop which will thicken the liquid.
- If you like a smooth sauce process it in a food processor
This recipe is vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free
Keywords: cranberry sauce, homemade cranberry sauce, Thanksgiving recipes
Be sure to check out these other posts in #TheThankfulChallenge
Give Thanks Placemat
Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Butternut Squash
Homemade Thanksgiving Stuffing
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***