Green beans with almonds is a classic green bean dish. It’s made with fresh green beans and almonds that are tossed in a lemony butter sauce for a quick and elegant side dish.
Green Beans and Almonds – an Easy Side Dish
This is one of the easiest side dish recipes to make, and it’s pretty enough to serve to guests.
One of the many things I love about this recipe is green beans are available most of the year, and they don’t take a lot of time to prepare which is great when you are entertaining. I don’t know about you, but I like to enjoy spending time with my guests and not in the kitchen.
The lemon butter sauce is the perfect match for mild tasting green beans, and the crispy combination of almonds and bread crumbs adds subtle flavor and a little bit of crunch. You can steam the green beans ahead of time and toss them in the sauce just before serving.
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
You Will Need Six Wholesome Ingredients to Make this Recipe
- Fresh green beans
- Unsalted Butter because we are looking for a creamy buttery taste without the salt. If you prefer salt, go ahead and use the salted butter.
- Whole chopped raw almonds We like the texture of the chopped almonds with the texture of panko. You can substitute sliced or slivered almonds, try use raw since you will be toasting them with the bread crumbs.
- Panko breadcrumbs for the crispy topping. You can use regular bread crumbs, however they will not be as crispy as the panko
- Fresh Lemon Juice
How to Prepare and Trim Green Beans
- Rinse the beans in cold water and pat them dry
- Use a pairing knife to cut off the tough ends of the green beans.
- For larger beans peel away the strip along the edge which can be tough.
- If you prefer your green beans short, line them up on a cutting board and cut them all in half with a sharp knife.
Here is How to Make This Recipe
Prepare all of the ingredients
Steam the green beans on top of the stove (this silicone steamer is very helpful for perfectly steaming vegetables).
Toast the almonds and panko crumbs in a skillet until they are crisp and set aside
Melt the butter in a skillet and add the lemon juice, add the green beans and toss them.
Add the green beans to a serving bowl and top them with the crispy almond and breadcrumb topping.
Green Beans and Almonds Make Ahead Instructions
Get a head start on preparing this dish. Steam the green beans earlier in the day and store them in the refrigerator. Make the crispy topping and store it room temperature to retain the crispness.
An hour or so before serving, bring the beans to room temperature, make the lemon butter sauce. Add the beans to the sauce and top them with the crispy topping.
- Add in 1/4 cup dried cranberries for a festive look
- Gluten Free, leave out the panko and use chopped almonds only
- For a Vegan Version, replace the butter with olive oil
Have You Tried These Side Dish Recipes?
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Citrus
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Apples
Green Beans and Almonds (Green Beans Almondine)
Green beans with almonds is an easy, yet elegant side dish
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Steam
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound french or small green beans
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Prepare the ingredients: wash and trim the green beans, chop the almonds, measure the butter (1 tablespoon),crush the garlic, and squeeze the lemon juice
- Add enough water to cover the bottom of a saucepan and add the green beans in a steamer basket. Cover the pot and steam the beans over medium to high heat for 8 to 10 minutes to your desired consistency. Note: if you don’t have a steamer basket, place the green beans directly in the water making sure they aren’t completely submerged.
- Rinse the beans in cold water to stop the cooking and set them aside.
- While the beans are cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat; add the almonds and bread crumbs. Cook them until they begin to turn brown and remove them from the heat.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over low heat with the garlic. Once the butter has melted stir in the lemon juice.
- Add the green beans to the pan and toss them in the sauce until they are heated through
- Place the green beans in a serving bowl and top with the panko and almonds
Make Ahead Instructions
- Steam the green beans earlier in the day and store them in the refrigerator. Make the crispy topping and store it room temperature to retain the crispness.
- An hour or so before serving, bring the beans to room temperature, make the lemon butter sauce. Add the beans to the sauce and top them with the crispy topping.
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.
Keywords: green beans and almonds