Home-style turkey meatloaf with mushrooms is made with lean ground turkey it is super moist and full of flavor. It tastes just like the American classic meatloaf.
Homestyle Turkey Meatloaf with Mushrooms Pure Comfort Food
Meatloaf is the ultimate in comfort food and this meatloaf is just that. The sauce on top adds a little bit of sweet with a little bit of spicy heat. It’s delicious and comforting. We like to serve our meatloaf with twice baked potatoes and a side of green beans.
I haven’ t always been a fan of making meatloaf because the beef version always seemed too greasy. I tried several times to replicate my mother’s meatloaf recipe which was made with mushroom soup and beef in a healthier way and every time it was a fail. Too soggy or greasy.
I couldn’t stop thinking about mom’s meatloaf and I knew there was a way to make it better. Ground turkey is leaner but typically dry and I wasn’t sure how it would taste. I tried out a few different things, and I found that adding vegetables such as mushrooms zucchini shreds, carrots or onions adds just the right amount of moisture with a touch of flavor.
Success! A close version of my mother’s meatloaf was created. Instead of canned and boxed soup, I use real chopped onions and mushrooms. The end result is an incredibly moist and flavorful meatloaf.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Here is what you will need to make this home-style turkey meatloaf
The ingredient list may seem long to make this recipe, but it all comes together quickly.
- organic ground turkey breast or a blend of dark meat and white meat
- olive oil
- yellow onions
- white or baby bella mushrooms to add flavor and moisture
- fresh garlic
- tamari sauce or gluten-free soy sauce
- sriracha sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- old fashioned rolled oats that, not instant or steel cut
- organic ketchup
- ground mustard seed
Here is how to Make Home-Style Turkey Meatloaf with Mushrooms
- Prepare the ingredients: chop the onions and mushrooms, crush the garlic
- Saute the onions and mushrooms on top of the stove until they become soft. Remove them from the heat and allow them to cool off.
- Combine the garlic, tamari, sriracha, and Worcestershire sauces with the turkey along with the rolled oats
- Stir in the cooled off mushroom and onion mixture and mix well
- Form the meat mixture into a loaf or place in a loaf pan
- Mix up the sauce ingredients and spread over the meatloaf
- Bake for 45 minutes
It takes approximately 60 to 65 minutes to prepare and cook this recipe
Suggestions for Making a Moist Home-Style Turkey Meatloaf
- Oats can be substituted with equal amount of bread crumbs
- If you don’t like mushrooms, shred up a half cup of zucchini or carrots and add to meatloaf
- For a meaty texture, chop the mushrooms up small so that they blend in with the meat. If you prefer chunky mushrooms leave them larger
- If you don’t like the heat from sriracha, leave it out
- Mix up the meatloaf ahead of time, refrigerate and pop in the oven just before dinner
- Be sure the meatloaf is fully cooked, turkey is cooked through at 165
- Double the recipe and use leftovers for lunch or another dinner during the week
Try out these Ground Turkey Recipes!