This is a healthier version of Irish soda bread that’s made with whole wheat flour in place of white flour – it’s slightly sweet and has a dense texture.
There are so many ways to make Irish soda bread! It can be made with or without raisins and caraway seeds or combination of both or none. According to the Society for the Preservation of Irish Soda Bread (yes this is a real group 😊), traditional Irish soda bread is made from only four simple ingredients; flour, baking soda and buttermilk. Back in the 1800s seeds, fruit, a dash of sugar and sometimes butter were added to the mix, also referred to as the American version. These were considered luxury items and were added during harvest season for a treat.
This recipe was adapted from my mother’s recipe, it’s an American version which I tweaked to make it more healthy with whole wheat flour and coconut sugar.
TIP: Even though Irish soda bread can be baked in a regular cake or bread pan, there’s something about the way this bread turns out when it’s baked in cast iron.
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups raisins
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1¾ cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup organic Greek yogurt
- pre-heat oven to 350
- combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, raisins and caraway seeds in a large bowl
- in a separate bowl, add the eggs and slightly beat them, then add the buttermilk and yogurt
- combine the "wet" mixture with the dry using a spoon - mix throughly
- turn dough into greased round pan - or cast iron pan
- score the top into quarters and bake for 45 miniutes
My Ingredient Picks:
- Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Flour
- Now Foods Organic Coconut Sugar
- Bob’s Red Mill Unsulphured Raisins
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***