Mediterranean quiche with spinach is made with fresh ingredients on top of a hash brown potato crust. It’s packed with fresh flavors and it’s gluten free.
This recipe was originally posted in 2017, the photos and recipe have been updated.
This healthy mediterranean quiche is going to be your new favorite breakfast. It’s made with shredded potatoes in place of traditional pie crust which makes prep time a snap.
The potatoes are easily shredded using a hand grater or food processor then pressed into a pie plate. They are baked in the oven until they become brown and crispy.
This quiche is not only delicious, it’s a nutritious and filling choice for breakfast, lunch, brunch and even dinner with a salad on the side.
Here is what you will need
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
fresh eggs – Any type of eggs will work in this recipe. If you are able to buy fresh eggs that are pasture raised go for it. They taste much better and have more health benefits than spermarket eggs. If that is not an option, choose eggs that are labeled cage free or free range. While these terms don’t necessarily mean the hens were pasutre raised, it’s a better choice.
russet or yukon gold potatoes – Are high in starch and perfect for making hash browns. I like to use yukon gold potatoes when I make a potato crust for a more buttery flavor.
yellow or red onion
fresh chopped baby spinach – For the freshest flavor I like to use fresh spinach. You can also use frozed chopped spinach, see the tips below for instructions.
sun dried tomaotes that are NOT packed in oil.
kalamata olives The briney flavor brings all of the flavors in the quiche together.
crumbled feta cheese
fresh or dried oregano
Here’s what’s great about this recipe
There are so many good things about this recipe, here are a few things:
- You can eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner
- It is full of super fresh ingredients
- It can be made ahead of time – perfect to add to your meal prep rotation
- It’s easy!
- It’s vegetarian and gluten-free
If you are using frozen spinach thaw a package of 9 ounce spinach and squeeze as much of the moisture out as you possibly can.
Make the crust ahead of time. Mix up the filling ingredients and bake just before serving.
Make the entire quiche ahead of time and bake it. Re-heat it in the oven just before serving. It’s perfect to grab for a quick weekday breakfast.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to five days.
For a meaty version add 1/4 to 1/2 pound of cooked ground breakfast sausage.
Change up the vegetables by adding or swapping asparagus, broccoli, zucchini, kale or arugula.
Replace the potato crust with a traditional pie crust or leave out the crust altogether.
Have you tried these breakfast recipes?Print
One Pan Mediterranean Quiche
A filling breakfast Quiche that’s filled with fresh vegetables and deliciousness on a potato crust.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil – divided
- 3 to 4 medium potatoes shredded which will make about 3 cups
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach rough chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Pre-heat the oven to 425
- Shred the potatoes using a hand grater or food processor
- Place the shredded potatoes in a kitchen towel or cheese cloth and squeeze the moisture out
- Add the shredded potatoes to a pie plate that has been coated with 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Use a spatula or your hands to press the potatoes into the pie plate
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over the potato crust with a pastry brush
- Place the crust into the oven an bake until the potatoes start to brown – about 20 minutes
- While the crust is baking, chop the onion (1/2 cup), 2 cups baby spinach, 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, 1/4 cup kalamata olives and set them aside
- Once the crust is finished, reduce the oven heat to 375
- Top the potato crust with spinach, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, onions, and cheese and set it aside
- Add 6 eggs, 1/4 cup milk,1 teaspoon oregano to a bowl and mix them well with a whisk
- Pour the egg mixture over all of the ingredients in the pie plate
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Make the entire quiche ahead of time and bake it. Re-heat it in the oven just before serving.
- Make the crust ahead of time and mix up the filling ingredients and bake it just before serving.
- For a meaty version, add 1/4 to 1/2 pound cooked ground breakfast sausage to the quiche
- Change up the vegetables by adding or swapping asparagus, broccoli, zucchini, arugula, mushrooms.
- Replace the potato crust with a traditional pie crust.
- For a dairy free version – use almond milk and sheep milk feta cheese
Keywords: mediterranean quiche, spinach quiche, breakfast quiche