Fried potatoes, scrambled eggs and spicy Mexican chorizo wrapped in a warm tortilla make up these spicy Texas Breakfast Tacos.
Are you wondering what in the world is going on as much as I am? A few weeks ago Texas suffered from disastrous Hurricane Harvey, this past weekend Florida was hammered with Hurricane Irma, there are more storms brewing and there was an earthquake in Mexico last week. Is mother nature is mad at us or what?
Today I am collaborating with a group of food bloggers to help raise awareness and to show support to all of those that have been affected by Hurricane Harvey in Texas. If you are interested in donating to help the victims of Harvey, please check out the list at the bottom of this post of reputable organizations to help those in need.
Since we are talking about Texas, I decided to share a recipe for Texas breakfast tacos. If you haven’t tried breakfast tacos, I suggest that you give them a try because they are good 😋. There are a few different ways to make Texas breakfast tacos, this time I chose to make them with spicy home fried potatoes, Mexican chorizo, and scrambled eggs. I then topped them off with a sprinkle of cheese, cilantro, salsa, and diced avocado. They were so deliciously filling!
If you are carb conscious, you can leave out the tortilla and eat your breakfast tacos with a fork. These tacos are such a filling and satisfying breakfast, you might find yourself wanting these for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Here’s how you make them. . .
- 2 medium potatoes cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - divided
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ¼ pound of Mexican chorizo sausage
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ avocado sliced or diced
- a few handfuls of shredded cheddar cheese
- a tablespoon or 2 of fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 green onions sliced
- 4 taco sized tortillas
- Heat oil over medium, once hot add the potato cubes and cover - cook for 10 minutes and remove cover
- add the chipotle chili powder and stir potatoes-continue to cook until they are browned and soft inside
- remove from heat and set aside
- add sausage to pan break into bits and brown until cooked through - about 10 minutes, then drain the fat off
- while sausage is cooking crack eggs into a bowl, add milk and beat with a fork until blended
- In a separate frying pan add ½ tablespoon oil and heat over medium heat. Add the eggs, stirring while they cook.
- once the eggs reach desired consistency, remove from heat
- assemble the tacos by placing ¼ of the meat into each tortilla, then potatoes, and eggs
- top with cheese, cilantro, salsa, green onions and serve
CHARITIES IN THE HOUSTON AREA. . .
- Houston Food Bank
- Salvation Army – Houston
- Samaritan’s Purse
- American Red Cross
- Houston Humaine Society
And here are a few more Texas themed recipes to inspire you. . .