Pressure cooker turkey chili might be the best turkey chili that you have ever tasted. It is made with lean ground turkey, beans and fresh vegetables. It’s spicy, fresh and delicious, and can be made in less than 30 minutes.
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
Super Flavorful Pressure Cooker Turkey Chili
The longer you allow chili to cook the better it tastes, unless you have a pressure cooker.
When chili is made in a pressure cooker it can be ready in minutes, yet it tastes like it’s been cooking all day long. The high pressure in the cooking process allows the flavors to become more deep and complex, just perfect for chili.
Homemade and Healthy Turkey Chili
Homemade chili is almost always healthier because you can control what you put into it.
This turkey chili is made with less meat, more vegetables and there is very little salt. It’s filled with classic chili flavor. Whip up a big batch of turkey chili in your pressure cooker and use it all week long.
Here is What you Will Need
Tomatoes – Fresh are my first choice. If fresh tomatoes are not available, use a quality brand of canned tomatoes such as Muir Glen tomatoes.
Ground turkey breast or dark meat. Ground turkey is lean, flavorful and will cook and brown up quickly.
Vegetables – Any variety of vegetables that you like. Typical chili vegetables are peppers, onions, and garlic. In addition to those vegetables, add in any of your favorite vegetables such as shredded carrots, squash, celery.
Fresh lime juice – Just before serving add a splash of fresh lime juice to elevate the flavor.
Toppings – Top your chili with diced onions, sliced jalapeno peppers, shredded cheese, avocado slices, guacamole, Greek Yogurt or sour cream.
How to Make Turkey Chili in a Pressure Cooker
There are only a few simple steps needed to make this recipe. First, chop the vegetables and set the pressure cooker to saute. Next, brown the aromatics (onions, garlic and peppers) in the cooker and add the turkey. Saute until the turkey is cooked through.
Add the spices, tomatoes and beans. Cover the pressure cooker, set the pressure and cook! Stir in the cilantro and a splash of lime juice and serve with your favorite toppings.
Make Healthy Turkey Chili on Top of the Stove
The steps to make turkey chili on top of the stove are basically the same as the pressure cooker. The only difference is that once the ingredients are browned, the chili cooks slowly for at least an hour on top of the stove. Here is what you need to do:
Chop the vegetables and add them to a pre-heated dutch oven. Next, add the turkey and cook until it is cooked through. Add the spices, tomatoes and beans. Reduce the heat, cover the pot, cook slowly for at least one hour! Stir in the cilantro and serve it with a splash of lime juice and your favorite toppings.
Quick and Healthy Turkey Chili Tips
How to Store Leftovers
Place the chili in a covered glass container and store it in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
If you aren’t planning of using up our chili in a few days, you can freeze it. Once the chili has cooled off, place it in a freezer safe container and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw the chili in the refrigerator overnight and heat it in a covered sauce pan over low heat until bubbly.
Leftover Chili Serving Suggestions
Chili is one of those foods that can be re-purposed in so may ways. Here are a few ideas:
- Serve leftover chili on top of a bed of greens for a salad
- Stuff chili into a shell and make tacos
- Stir it into your favorite mac and cheese
- Serve it over rice or pasta
- Stuff into a baked potato
- Stuff it into peppers for spicy stuffed peppers
- Fill an acorn squash with it to make an easy version of Tex-Mex Stuffed Acorn Squash.
Change it up
- For a less spicy version, leave out the jalapenos or substitute them with a milder pepper such as a half of a poblano pepper.
- Substitute chicken for turkey
- Change up the beans, try white beans, black beans or a combination of beans
- Add any combination of vegetables that you like to the chili, such as zucchini, carrots, butternut squash, or sweet potato
Try These Chili RecipesPrint
Quick Turkey Chili in a Pressure Cooker or Stove-Top
Healthy turkey chili is made with lean ground turkey, beans and fresh vegetables. It’s spicy, fresh and delicious, and can be made in less than 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 pound ground turkey
1 medium onion – chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
2 bell peppers any color – chopped
1 jalapeno pepper – chopped
1/2 small zucchini diced or shredded – optional
1 carrot diced or shredded – optional
2 cups chopped or diced tomatoes
1/3 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 1/2 cups black or kidney beans
1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro roughly chopped
1 tabelspoon of fresh squeezed lime juice
Pressure Cooker Method
- Prepare the Ingredients: chop up the onions, peppers, garlic and tomatoes
- Heat the pressure cooker on saute setting
- Add the olive oil and the onions, garlic and peppers – cook for 3 to 5 minutes
- Add the Turkey and cook until it’s cooked through
- Stir in the spices (1/3 cup chili powder, 2 tablespoons ground cumin and 1 1/2 cups beans) and chopped tomatoes.
- Place the top on the pressure cooker, set the pressure medium according to your cooker’s instructions. Cook for 10 minutes. Allow the chili to sit for 5 minutes and release the pressure.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro, lime juice and serve with your favorite chili toppings.
- Prepare the Ingredients: chop up the onions, peppers, garlic and tomatoes (if using fresh)
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium to high heat
- Add the onions, garlic and peppers – cook for 3 to 5 minutes
- Add the Turkey and cook until it’s cooked through
- Stir in the spices (1/3 cup chili powder, 2 tablespoons ground cumin and 1 1/2 cups beans)
- Add the tomatoes, and reduce the heat to low
- Cover the chili and simmer for at least one hour.
- Just before serving stir in the fresh cilantro and lime juice
- Serve with your favorite chili toppings.
Keywords: Pressure Cooker Turkey Chili, healthy turkey chili