Spicy chicken tortilla soup is filled with vibrant flavors that blend perfectly together to make a comforting and satisfying bowl of soup. It can be made on top of the stove, in a pressure cooker or slow cooker. It’s gluten-free and you can also make this soup vegetarian.
A Spicy Soup Recipe
Spicy chicken tortilla soup is packed with flavor and can be on the table in less than one hour when it’s made in a pressure cooker.
This soup has the perfect balance of healthy and wholesome ingredients like chicken, juicy tomatoes, spicy jalapenos, black beans and corn that all blend so well together. The chicken is cooked in the soup which adds a ton of flavor and saves time.
A hearty bowl of chicken tortilla soup is perfect for a quick and healthy dinner. We like to serve it with a side salad like this loaded chopped salad. Don’t forget the toppings! Our favorites are crushed tortilla chips, with slices of avocado and a spoonful of Greek Yogurt and shredded cheese.
Here is what you will need to make this spicy soup: boneless chicken breasts, water, diced tomatoes, corn,red bell pepper, green bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, dried oregano, black beans, fresh cilantro, and a pressure cooker, slow cooker or soup pot.
Here is How to Make Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup
In a Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot -The most flavorful method!
- Set the pressure cooker to saute
- Place the chicken, onions, peppers, garlic and seasonings into the pressure cooker and saute
- Add the tomatoes, corn and water
- Set the pressure cooker to medium pressure for 15 minutes
- Quick release and carefully remove the top remove the chicken and shred it
- Stir in the beans and cilantro
- Cover and leave on warm heat
- Just before serving add the lime juice
Slow Cooker Method
- Place the chicken, water, tomatoes, garlic onions,peppers,corn and seasonings into a slow cooker and cook.
- Once chicken is cooked through, remove it from the slow cooker and shred it.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker along with the beans and cook for one hour longer
- Add the lime juice and cilantro and serve
On Top of the Stove
- Heat the oil in over medium heat
- Saute the chicken, garlic, onions bell peppers and seasonings until veggies begin to soften
- Add the jalapeno, tomatoes and corn and stir
- Add the chicken and cold water and bring to a boil reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes
- Remove the chicken and shred it and add back to soup
- Add the beans, cilantro and lime juice
Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup Tips and Variations
Store soup leftovers in a glass freezer safe container and freeze it. Thaw the soup in the refrigerator overnight and re-heat it on top of the stove for best results.
Make a Vegetarian Version
Leave out the chicken, add an extra cup of black beans and substitute vegetable broth for the water for a flavorful vegetarian/vegan version.
Adjust the flavors
For a Mild version if you don’t like spice, no problem! Just leave out the jalapeno pepper or use just 1 half of the jalapeno pepper.
If you use no salt added or low sodium tomatoes you may need to add sea salt before serving
Have you tried these soup recipes yet?
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchasesPrint