Tuscan Sausage soup with kale and white beans is a hearty soup that’s filled with tasty little bites of Italian sausage, vegetables and pasta in a super flavorful broth.
Hearty Tuscan Sausage Soup with White Beans
You are going to love this soup. It’s packed with wholesome ingredients and it’s delicious. It’s quick and easy to make even though it tastes like it’s been cooking all day.
Make it in a pressure cooker, and you will have a piping hot bowl of soup on your table in less than 30 minutes. It’s equally as easy (but not as quick) to make on top of the stove.
One big bowl of this soup is all you need for a nutritious and filling dinner. If you want to add a little extra veggies, serve it with a zesty arugula salad.
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
Here is what you will need
- Mild or spicy Italian sausage which adds a ton of flavor to the soup
- Homemade or organic and low sodium chicken or vegetable broth such as Pacific Chicken Broth.
- Fresh chopped kale – any variety of kale will work in this recipe
- Canned and rinsed white beans or dried beans that have been cooked and drained.
- Fresh Garlic
- Any shape of small pasta, we like the small shells for soup.
- Olive oil
- Pressure Cooker or a Soup Pot
How to Make Tuscan Sausage Soup with Kale
Pressure Cooker Instructions
- Saute the sausage, onions and garlic
- Add the broth and pasta
- Cook on medium pressure for 8 minutes
- Quick Release and stir in the beans and kale, cover and set your pressure cooker to warm until kale has wilted and beans are heated through.
- Brown the sausage, onions and garlic in a pan
- Add the broth and pasta and cook for 10 minutes
- Stir in the kale and beans and simmer for at least 15 minutes
Tuscan Sausage Soup with Kale Variations
- Vegetable broth can be used in place of chicken broth.
- Kale can be substituted with an equal amount of baby spinach or escarole.
- Sprinkle the soup with fresh grated Parmesan cheese just before serving.
- Use gluten-free pasta to make this recipe gluten-free
- In place of pasta add one medium potato that has been cut into cubes with the vegetables.
- Try this recipe for Tuscan Vegetable Soup with White Bean Balls for a vegan version.
What kind of sausage is best to use when making sausage and kale soup?
The best type of sausage is either Italian hot or sweet sausage made from pasture raised pork or Italian style organic turkey sausage. If using sausage links, remove the casing before browning the sausage by gently slicing into the casing lengthwise and peeling the casing off.
What kind of pasta is the best to use when making this soup?
Any Small pasta works best in this soup. We like the little shells, but you can also use orzo, ditalini, or elbows.
You cook the pasta right in the broth which yields a more flavorful pasta, but it can get a little bit soggy. You can also boil the pasta separately and add it to the soup when serving.
Can Sausage and Kale Soup be Frozen?
Sausage and kale soup can be frozen for up to three months in a freezer-safe container. When you are ready to eat it, defrost it in the refrigerator overnight and heat it in a saucepan before serving.