Baby arugula is combined with crunchy pistachios, salty parmesan cheese, and creamy avocado in this baby arugula salad with pistachios. It's a simple recipe to make and it is filled with flavor.
This is a light and refreshing salad that goes well with everything! Arugula's peppery and almost bitter flavor comes to life when it's drenched in a honey lemon vinaigrette.
The pistachios add just the right amount of crunch and the chunks of avocado melt into creamy little bites for a perfect balance of flavors.
Add grilled chicken or salmon to this salad and you have a full low carb and complete meal .
Why this salad works
- It's healthy! Arugula is high in fiber and has numerous health benefits as well as avocados and pistachios which are filled with heart-healthy fats.
- Arugula salad with pistachios is an easy recipe that takes minutes to assemble with just a few simple ingredients.
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Baby arugula
- Fresh lemon juice
- Shaved parmesan cheese
- Black pepper and sea salt (optional)
- Y-vegetable peeler
- Citrus juicer
- Paring knife
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Salad plates or salad bowls
- Small mason jar or small bowl
How to make this baby arugula pistachio salad recipe
Prepare: Rinse the arugula under cold water and thoroughly dry it. Remove the flesh from the avocado and cut it into chunks, and measure the pistachios.
Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small jar or small mixing bowl, and set aside.
Place the baby arugula, pistachios, and avocado chunks into a large bowl.
Pour half of the dressing over the salad and gently toss.
Use a y-vegetable peeler to shave the parmesan cheese into thin slices and add them to the salad. Season with black pepper and sea salt to taste, toss once again and serve immediately.
Note: You may have extra salad dressing which can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
The full list of ingredients to make this salad recipe is above. Below are notes about some of the ingredients, along with ideas for substitutes.
Baby arugula - If you don't care for the peppery flavor of arugula, it can be substituted with baby greens, Boston lettuce, baby spinach or a mix of your favorite greens.
Pistachios - Look for unsalted pistachio nuts. They can be shelled or unshelled which are a little more expensive, but convenient.
Honey - Adds a touch of sweetness to the salad dressing. It can be substituted one for one with maple syrup.
Make ahead instructions
Even though this salad is simple to put together, it can be prepared a few hours ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator without the cheese and dressing.
Just before serving add the salad dressing and shave the cheese.
How to store leftover arugula salad with pistachios
Leftover salad can be stored for up to two days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
What goes best with this salad
This salad tastes great with almost anything it is served with. Turn it into a healthy meal when it is served with pork chops with vinegar peppers and potatoes, Cilantro Lime Shrimp, Grilled Chicken Breasts with Strawberry Balsamic Salsa, Fresh and Easy Blush Sauce with Pasta, Pasta with Bolognese Sauce, Ground Chicken and Pasta Casserole, Deconstructed Stuffed Peppers, Buffalo chicken eggrolls.
Change up the cheese - instead of shaved parmesan cheese, add blue cheese crumbles, feta cheese crumbles or shaved parmesan cheese.
Change up the nuts - replace pistachios with sliced almonds, chopped pecans, walnuts or walnuts.
Change the dressing - instead of lemon juice, use freshly squeezed orange juice, or any citrus fruit juice or balsamic vinegar for a balsamic dressing.
Add fruit - replace the avocado with fresh strawberries.
Add beets - add a little more texture to the salad and add sliced golden beets or red beets along with a few slices of red onion.
- Add the dressing individually if you anticipate having a leftover salad to prevent it from getting soggy.
- Use just enough dressing to moisten the salad, and serve the remaining dressing on the side.
Baby arugula is usually eaten raw and doesn't need much preparation since its leaves are small and tender. If the arugula is more mature, it may need to have the stems trimmed and roughly chopped.
You might like these healthy recipes
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- 8 ounces baby arugula
- ½ cup shelled roasted pistachios
- ½ avocado
- 3 ounces shaved parmesan cheese to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Prepare the ingredients: rinse and dry the arugula. Remove the flesh fro the avocado and cut it into chunks. Remove shells if needed from the pistachios and measure them. Mix the salad dressing ingredients (olive oil, honey and lemon juice) together in a small bowl or jar.
- Place the baby arugula,pistachios and avocado chunks into a large bowl.
- Pour half of the dressing over the salad and gently toss.
- Use a Y-vegetable peeler or a sharp knife to shave the parmesan cheese into thin slices and add them to the salad.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste, gently toss the salad again and serve immediately with dressing on the side.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Check out more of our Plant-Based recipes here!
I almost always order arugula salads when I got out to eat - need to make this!
It's so easy to make too!
Such an elegant and flavorful salad! Love the crunch from the pistachios!
Simple arugula salads are SO satisfying and your additions are the perfect touches to make it better! Definitely going to throw this together.
Stacey Crawford says
I love the pistachios & the dressing! Baby Arugula is a favorite for me. Thanks for the recipe 🙂
arugula is one of my favourite salad. I love that your dressing is so simple and tasty.