Lemon kale caesar salad is a twist on a traditional caesar salad. It's a refreshing salad made with fresh kale and romaine lettuce tossed with crunchy croutons in a simple lemon vinaigrette dressing.
You are going to love this delicious healthy kale caesar salad recipe! Add a little bit of protein such as a grilled chicken breast and you have a delicious dinner salad.
Why you will🤍this recipe
- It's a simple salad to make with just a few ingredients.
- It's healthy! Kale is one of the healthiest leafy green veggies and it tastes great in this salad.
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Romaine lettuce
- Fresh parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Lemon juice
- Olive Oil
- Large salad bowl for mixing
- Small salad bowls for serving
- Citrus juicer
- Small mason jars
How to make this lemon kale caesar salad recipe
Prepare the ingredients: Rinse and dry the greens, shred the parmesan cheese and extract the juice from a lemon.
Step 1. Prepare the kale
Remove the thick stem from the kale leaves with a sharp knife and roughly chop the kale leaves and the romaine lettuce leaves into bite-sized pieces.
Step 2. Assemble the greens
Place the greens into a large bowl.
Step 3. Make the dressing
Combine the dressing ingredients a small bowl or jar.
Step 4. Add cheese
Sprinkle the salad with grated or shaved parmesan cheese and add the croutons and dressing.
Note: Massage kale for more tender kale. Raw kale can be tough, add the kale to the salad bowl first with a little bit of olive oil or dressing. Use your hands to work the oil into the kale leaves. Then add the lettuce and remaining ingredients.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
Romaine lettuce - Romaine lettuce is crispy and the standard lettuce used in caesar salad. It can be substituted with your favorite type of lettuce.
Kale - Lacinato or dinosaur kale is what I like to use to make this salad, it's more tender and easy to chop for salads. But you can use any type of kale that you like. baby kale is a great option too because the leaves are tender. Curly kale is a good choice a well but may need to be massaged.
Kale can be substituted with spinach or any other dark leafy green.
How to store leftovers
Store leftover kale caesar salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
For best results, store the leftovers without dressing and croutons to prevent the salad from wilting and the croutons from becoming soggy.
Add protein- Make this salad a meal and add ¼ poud per person of grilled chicken, salmon or shrimp.
Add bacon - Toss in crumbled bacon to add a salty smoky flavor to the the salad.
Add plant protein - Toss in a cup of chickpeas, white beans or cooked tofu for a hearty vegetarian salad entree.
Zesty dressing - Add a little zest to the salad dressing with a teaspoon of dijon mustard.
Serve this delicious salad as a side salad with a touch of lemon zest or lemon wedges with just about any main course. We like it with pasta and blush sauce, slow cooker tri-tip sandwiches, and stuffed portobello mushroom parmesan.
This salad is also hearty enough for a main course with a little added protein. See the suggestions above and don't forget the homemade croutons!
- Save time and use shredded or chopped kale.
- Prevent a soggy salad and dress the salad just before serving.
Wash the kale and dry it. Tear or cut the leaves away from the thick stems. Stack a few kale leaves on top of each other, roll them up and use a sharp knife to cut the leaves into ribbons.
This salad can easily be made ahead of time. Kale and romaine lettuce are hearty enough to last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Prepare the greens, shred the cheese, slice the onions, and make the dressing. Store in separate containers in the refrigerator. When it's time to serve, assemble the salad, add the dressing and croutons, and enjoy.
You might like these recipes
Do you like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- 6 ounces Kale
- 6 ounces Romaine Lettuce
- ½ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese approximately 1 ounce
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 cup Croutons
- Prepare the ingredients: Rinse and dry the salad greens, grate teh parmesan cheese and extract the juice from a lemon.
- Remove the thick stems from the kale leaves with a sharp knife or tear them away with your hands. Roughly chop the greens into bite-sized pieces.6 ounces Kale, 6 ounces Romaine Lettuce
- Place the salad greens into a salad bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or jar.½ teaspoon Garlic powder, 1 tablespoon Lemon juice, ½ teaspoon honey, 1 ½ tablespoons Olive oil
- Sprinke the salad greens with grated cheese and croutons. Toss in the dressig and serve.½ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese, 1 cup Croutons
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Leave a Reply