Homemade air fryer croutons are golden, and crispy, and taste much better than store-bought croutons. They are customizable and easy to make in an air fryer with your favorite kind of bread and seasonings.
Croutons are a perfect addition to salads and your favorite soups, but the grocery store croutons can sometimes be hard and dry. Instead, homemade croutons are lighter and crispy and flavorful.
I like to add homemade croutons to chopped salads and my kale caesar salad for a little more texture.
Why you will🤍this recipe
- Air fryer croutons are made with only a few simple ingredients and they take minimal effort to make.
- Homemade croutons are customizable; season to your taste and make the exact amount of croutons needed.
- It's a great way to use up stale bread or leftover bread.
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a complete list of ingredients with exact measurements and instructions as well a printable recipe card.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Olive oil or butter
- Air fryer
- Mixing bowl
How to make this air fryer crouton recipe
Step 1. Cut the bread
Cut the bread into uniform size pieces that are bite-sized.
Step 2. Add spices & oil
Place the cut bread pieces into a small mixing bowl and toss them with the oil and spices.
Step 3. Place on an air fryer tray
Place the cubed bread in a single layer on an air fryer tray or air fryer basket and place them into a 400-degrees f preheated air fryer for 6 minutes.
Step 4. Cool
Remove the croutons from the air fryer and let them sit at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes so that they cool off and crisp up.
Note: Cooking time can vary depending on the model of your air-fryer. The croutons are down when they are golden and crispy.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
Bread- You can use any type of bread that you like to make air fryer croutons. Fresh bread works as well as day-old bread. I like to use whole wheat bread, rye bread, French bread, leftover baguettes, sourdough bread, or leftover rolls that are turning stale.
Olive oil - Olive oil can be substituted with an equal amount of melted butter or avocado oil.
How to store leftover croutons
Air fryer croutons will last for up to two weeks stored at room temperature in a paper bag or glass container. I do not recommend a plastic airtight container to store the croutons as it will result in soft croutons.
Croutons are a blank slate, here are a few suggestions to make your own flavorful croutons.
Cheesy croutons - Add a half cup of parmesan cheese to the oil and spices before tossing the bread.
Herb-flavored croutons - Use a combination of your favorite herbs such as Italian seasoning, rosemary, sage or thyme.
Spicy croutons- Spice up your croutons and sprinkle in red pepper flakes, chili powder or cayenne pepper to the oil and seasonings.
Everything croutons - Add a teaspoon or two of everything but the bagel seasoning or any of your favorite seasonings.
Serve your homemade croutons on top of your favorite salad, add them to soup or use them to make stuffing.
- For best results, be sure to cut the bread pieces into similarly sized pieces so that they cook evenly.
- Don't store the croutons in a sealed bag or container until they are completely cool.
- If you prefer extra crunchy croutons, leave them in the air fryer for a bit longer.
Yes, you can freeze homemade croutons, place them in a freezer proof container and freeze them for up to three months. Thaw them at room temperature and place them into the oven to crisp them up before using them.
It's easy to make air-fried croutons in the oven by following the instructions in the recipe card place the coated croutons onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 7 minutes, flip them over and cook 5 to 10 minutes longer until they are golden and crispy.
It is not necessary to trim the crust from the bread unless the crust is thick or tough, otherwise, it's fine to leave the crust on.
Drop your email below to receive a list of foods that you need in your kitchen to make a quick dinner when you don't feel like cooking.
You might like these air fryer recipes
- Air Fryer Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Portobello Mushroom Fries
- Air Fryer Broccoli Cheddar Potato Skins
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
Do you like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees f.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the bread into bite sized pieces
- Place the bread cubes into a mixing bowl and toss them with the oil and spices.
- Arrange the cubed bread in a single layer on the air fryer tray or basket and place them into a preheated (400 degrees f) air fryer and air for 6 minutes until they are golden and crispy.
- Remove the tray from the air fryer and let it sit at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes so that they cool off and crisp up.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used