Air fryer Philly cheesesteak egg rolls are the perfect combination of cheesesteak and egg roll. Tender ground beef is cooked with flavorful onions, bell peppers, and cheese and wrapped up in a crispy wrapper.
This Philly cheesesteak egg rolls air fryer recipe couldn't be any easier to make! They are perfect to serve as an appetizer, lunch, or quick dinner with a refreshing salad.
Here is what you will need
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
- Here is what you will need
- Why you will🤍this recipe
- How to make Philly cheesesteak egg rolls in an air fryer
- Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- How to make air fryer egg rolls ahead of time
- How to store leftovers
- Recipe variations
- Serving suggestions
- You might like these egg roll recipes
- 📖 Recipe
Why you will🤍this recipe
- Air fryer Philly cheesesteak egg rolls are quick and easy to make.
- Just like traditional egg rolls, these are perfect for an appetizer, snack or dinner.
- Flavor, these tasty egg rolls are full of flavor.
How to make Philly cheesesteak egg rolls in an air fryer
Prepare: chop the peppers, onions, and mushrooms; set them aside. Preheat a heavy large skillet with olive oil over high heat.
Step 1. Cook the meat
Once the skillet is hot, add the ground beef. Reduce the heat to medium-high heat and cook for about 3-4 minutes until the beef is almost cooked through.
Step 2. Cook the vegetables
Reduce the heat to medium heat and add the vegetables. Cook for a few minutes longer until the vegetable begins to soften; remove the meat mixture from the heat.
Step 3. Assemble the egg rolls
Arrange one wrapper at a time onto a flat surface and add approximately 2 tablespoons of the filling onto the middle of the egg roll wrap.
Step 4. Roll the egg rolls up
Fold the bottom corner of the wrapper over the filling, then fold the sides in and roll it up. Seal the egg roll closed by dipping your fingers in water and running them along the edges of each egg roll wrap.
Step 5. Brush with oil
Place egg rolls onto an air fryer tray or air fryer basket in a single layer, brush them with a little bit of olive oil spray them with cooking spray.
Step 6. Air fry until golden
Cook the egg rolls until they are golden brown and crispy - about 12-15 minutes.
Note: Cooking time can vary depending on the model of your air-fryer. The egg rolls are done when they are golden and crispy.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
Ground beef- Using ground beef to make these cheese steak egg rolls makes this recipe quick and easy! Ground beef cooks quickly, I like to use ground sirloin but any good quality ground beef will work in this recipe.
You can also substitute ground beef with shaved steak or you can use ground chicken or turkey also.
Check out ButcherBox for humanely raised high-quality meat!
Cheese - We like to use provolone cheese on our cheesesteaks, but any type of cheese will work.
You can buy a block of provolone cheese and shred it or you can use sliced provolone cheese from the deli department. About a half slice of cheese will be all that you need for each egg roll.
You can also use any combination of shredded mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, or American cheese.
Bell peppers - Any combination of bell peppers will work. You can use all of the same colors or peppers or a variety of colors. I like to use a mix of green pepper and red bell peppers.
Mushrooms - These are optional, and you can use any variety of mushrooms to make this recipe.
How to make air fryer egg rolls ahead of time
This is a great recipe to make ahead of time. You can cook the filling a day or two ahead of time.
Once the filling is made, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator, until it's time to serve.
Fill the wrappers with the cooked filling and top with shredded cheese, roll them up and air fry them.
How to store leftovers
Leftover cheesesteak eggrolls can be stored in an airtight container for 4 days. Reheat leftover cheesesteak egg rolls in the air fryer, oven or microwave.
Spicy Philly cheesesteak egg rolls - Add 1 small diced jalapeno pepper or a teaspoon of hot sauce to the beef and pepper mixture to spice up your egg rolls.
Vegetarian Philly cheesesteak egg rolls - Replace the ground beef with one pound of finely chopped mushrooms - a food processor works best for this.
Cheesesteak egg roll bowl - Instead of rolling up the egg rolls, add the cooked ingredients to bowls, top with cheese and sprinkle with a toasted egg roll wrapper.
Philly cheesesteak egg rolls make great appetizers. Serve them with an assortment of appetizers at your next party with bbq chicken egg rolls, buffalo cauliflower, a charcuterie board, or homemade potato chips.
These flavorful Philly cheesesteak egg rolls also taste great for dinner served with your favorite salad too.
- Keep a small bowl of water to dip your fingers on the side so that you can easily seal the egg rolls
- Keep a damp towel over the egg roll wrappers to keep them moist.
- Be sure to leave enough room around the egg rolls to allow the air to circulate around the egg rolls.
Yes, you can. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees f. Place the prepared egg rolls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and into the preheated oven. Bake for 8 minutes and flip them over and cook until they are golden and crispy (about 15-20 minutes of cooking time total).
It's easy to freeze air fryer egg rolls after they have been cooked. Once they have reached room temperature place them onto a cookie sheet and pop them into the freezer. Once they are frozen, place them into a freezer-safe bag or container for up to three months. Reheat them thawed or from frozen in the oven, microwave, or air fryer until they are heated through.
These egg rolls taste great with a side of marinara sauce or cheese sauce or even sriracha dipping sauce.
Drop your email below to receive a list of foods that you need in your kitchen to make a quick dinner when you don't feel like cooking.
You might like these egg roll recipes
Do you like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- 4 ounces mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper about one small pepper
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 6 egg roll skins
- 3 ounces provolone cheese shredded
- Prepare: chop the peppers, onions, and mushrooms and set them aside. Preheat a heavy skillet with ½ tablespoon olive oil over high heat.
- Once the skillet is hot, add the ground beef. Reduce the heat to medium-high heat and cook for about 3-4 minutes until the beef is almost cooked through.
- Reduce the heat to medium heat and add the vegetables. Cook for a few minutes longer until the vegetable begins to soften; remove the meat mixture from the heat.
- Arrange one wrapper at a time onto a flat surface and add approximately 2 tablespoons of the filling onto the middle of the egg roll wrap.
- Fold the bottom corner of the wrapper over the filling, then fold the sides in and roll it up. Seal the egg roll closed by dipping your fingers in water and running them along the edges of each egg roll wrap.
- Place egg rolls onto an air fryer tray or air fryer basket in a single layer, brush them with a little bit of olive oil that is remaining or spray them with cooking spray.
- Cook the egg rolls until they are golden brown and crispy - about 12-15 minutes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used