Vegetarian wonton cups are bite-sized healthy appetizers made in a crispy wonton cup that is filled with fresh vegetables and topped with pizza sauce and cheese. They are the perfect appetizer for your next party, game day, or a quick snack.
Wonton wrappers make the perfect crispy wonton cups! They are the perfect size to fit into a muffin tin and hold any type of stuffing.
If you prefer more traditional appetizers, these wonton wrappers are also great for making mini eggrolls, another easy recipe.
Why you will 🤍this recipe
- Wonton cups are easy to make with just a few ingredients and are a real crowd pleaser.
- This is a fun appetizer and so customizable, you can use any kind of vegetable or meat that you like.
- This recipe comes together quickly and is great for a last minute party appetizer.
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Twin Dragon Wonton Wrappers
- Olive oil
- Pizza sauce or homemade marinara sauce
- Fresh mozzarella cheese
- Fresh vegetables such as bell peppers, broccoli, zucchini, spinach, mushrooms
- Pastry Brush
- Muffin Tin
- Heavy Skillet
How to make crispy vegetarian wonton cups
Prepare the ingredients: Chop the vegetables and shred the cheese, preheat the oven to 375 degrees f.
Step 1. Prepare the wonton wrappers
Use a pastry brush to brush the outside of the wonton wrappers with olive oil.
Step 2. Make the wonton cups
Place one wrapper into each of the muffin cups or cupcake pan and mold it to form a cup.
Step 3. Bake the cups
Place the muffin tin into the oven and bake until the begin to crisp up.
Step 4. Cook the vegetables
Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the vegetables and reduce to medium heat; cook until they are crisp and tender.
Step 5. Fill the wonton cups
Place a spoonful of the vegetable mixture into each wonton cup.
Step 6. Bake
Sprinkle the veggie-filled cups with cheese and bake until the cheese melts.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
The complete list of ingredients to make this vegetarian party appetizer recipe is above. Below are notes about some of the ingredients, along with ideas for substitutes.
Wonton wrappers - Square wonton wrappers are smaller than eggroll wrappers and can be found in the refrigerated section in most grocery stores or an Asian market. If you can't find them in your local grocery store, they can be substituted with egg roll wrappers that are cut in half.
Vegetables - You can use any variety of your favorite vegetables that you like in this recipe.
Mozzarella cheese - Look for fresh mozzarella cheese and shred it yourself. It melts better and tastes much better than pre-grated cheese. Mozzarella cheese can be substituted with provolone or parmesan cheese.
Even though wonton pizza cups come together quickly, you can easily get a jumpstart on this simple appetizer recipe and make them ahead of time by baking the wrappers in the oven and storing them at room temperature for up to a day.
Saute the vegetables and store them in the refrigerator for up to a day. When it's time to enjoy your wonton pizza cups, assemble them according to the recipe instructions and bake them.
Serve these tasty wonton cups as an appetizer with some of your other favorite appetizers such as stuffed mushrooms, cucumber hummus bites and avocado fries.
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftover wonton pizza cups that you have in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Reheat leftovers in the oven at 350 for 5 to 8 minutes until they are heated through and cripsy.
Meat and vegetable wonton cups - Cook 1 quarter pound of ground beef, ground chicken, ground turkey, or ground sausage to the wonton cups.
Spicy veggie wonton cups - Add a teaspoon or two of red pepper flakes or hot sauce to the veggies while they are cooking for a spicy version.
Asian veggie wonton cups - Instead of marinara sauce, add up to a tablespoon to taste of soy sauce or tamari sauce and a dash of sesame oil to the vegetables when cooking them. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions. Omit the cheese for a vegan version.
Mexican wonton cups - add black beans or vegetarian refried beans to the vegetables and top with cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese with a side of sour cream, salsa or guacamole for dipping sauce.
Greek wonton cups - use chopped kalamata olives, chopped tomatoes, garlic and onions for the vegetable filling and top with feta cheese.
- Pat the cooked vegetables dry with a paper towel before adding them to the wonton cups to avoid soggy pizza cups.
- Place the fresh mozzarella in the freezer for about 30 minutes before you plan on grating it to make it easier to shred.
No, wonton wrappers are made with wheat flour. You can try substituting wonton wrappers with rice flour wrappers for gluten-free.
You Might Also Like These Recipes
Do you like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- Approximately 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 12 Wonton wrappers
- 1 cup Marinara sauce
- ¼ cup Diced bell peppers
- ¼ cup Diced broccoli
- ¼ cup Chopped spinach
- ¼ cup Chopped mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons Copped onions
- 1 clove Garlic
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees f
- Chop all of the vegetables into small similar sized pieces and set them aside
- Brush each wonton wrapper on one side with olive oil
- Place the wrapper into a cupcake or muffin tin, pressing down on the bottom
- Bake the empty wrappers until they begin to crisp up, about 6 to 8 minutes
- Remove the empty wrappers from the oven
- Heat the remaining oil (1 tablespoon) in a skillet and saute the vegetables until they begin to soften (approximately 8 to 10 minutes).
- Remove them from the heat, and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Place a spoonful of the vegetable mixture into each cup and top with the sauce and the cheese.
- Bake the pizza filled wonton cups until the cheese melts and everything is heated through, about 8 minutes longer.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Leave a Reply