Spicy Chicken and Black Bean Casserole is made with ground chicken, bell peppers, black beans, all cooked with a spicy fresh tomato blend and topped with cheese. It’s a satisfying hearty dinner for a chilly night.
Easy chicken recipes are the best, chicken picadillo is another of our favorite recipes made with ground chicken.
Why This Recipe Works
- It's a healthy and simple recipe, that is also gluten-free recipe.
- It's very versatile; change up the meat or make a vegetarian version.
- It can easily be made ahead of time.
Chicken and Black Bean Casserole Ingredients
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe, scroll down to see the ingredient notes and substitutions as well as a printable recipe card with exact measurements and instructions.
- Olive Oil
- Lean Ground Chicken Breast
- Black Beans
- Red Bell Pepper
- Jalapeno Peppers
- Fresh Chopped Garlic
- Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Fresh Cilantro
- Corn Tortillas
- Cheddar Cheese or Monterey Jack Cheese
Tools & Equipment Needed to Make This Recipe
Here is How to Make Spicy Chicken and Black Bean Casserole
Prepare the ingredients: chop the onion, peppers, garlic, and tomatoes. Measure the black beans and spices and shred the cheese. Heat a skillet over medium to high heat.
Brown the chicken and vegetables in a frying pan over medium heat.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, once the pan is hot add the bell peppers, onions, and garlic to the skillet and cook for a few minutes until they begin to soften. Next, add the chicken and spices; reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook over medium heat until the chicken is cooked through.
Once the chicken is cooked, stir in the tomatoes, jalapeno peppers and black beans. Reduce the heat to low, stir in the cilantro and cook simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes longer and turn the heat off.
Get the casserole baking dish ready; coat the bottom of dish with oil and place two tortillas in the dish. Top the tortillas with one-half of the chicken and bean mixture.
Top the chicken filling with one-half of the cheese, and place the remaining tortillas on top.
Cover the two tortillas with the remainder of the meat and bean mixture and top it with the rest of the cheese. Cover the casserole and bake until the casserole is heated through and the cheese melts.
Total Estimated Time to Make This Recipe: 45 to 60 minutes.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
Olive oil prevents the chicken from sticking to the pan and can be replaced with avocado oil or any neutral-flavored vegetable oil.
Ground chicken breast can be substituted with ground turkey, beef or shredded chicken.
Red Bell Pepper. Adds a little bit of flavor and crunch to the casserole. You can replace the red pepper with green pepper or a combination of red and green bell pepper.
Jalapeno Pepper. If you don't like spicy food, the jalapeno pepper can be left out of the recipe or you can cut back on the amount.
Fresh jalapenos peppers can be substituted with a tablespoon of chopped pickled jalapeno peppers.
Garlic can be substituted with 1 teaspoon garlic powder and should be mixed into the chicken mixture with the chili powder and ground cumin.
Onion can be substituted with 2 teaspoons of onion powder and should be mixed into the chicken mixture with the other spices.
Tortillas. I prefer corn tortillas in this recipe, they don't tend to become as soggy as flour tortillas would, but if you prefer flour tortillas, go ahead and use them.
Cilantro. If you are not a lover of cilantro, it can easily be left out of this recipe.
Spicy Chicken and Black Bean Casserole Recipe Tips
Make a double batch of this recipe and freeze one casserole for another night, see instructions below.
Avoid soggy tortillas. We don't mind the tortillas a little on the soggy side, but if that's not for you, assemble the casserole just before putting it in the oven.
To save time, use breast meat from a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket.
Make-Ahead and Freeze or Refrigerate
Chicken and black bean casserole is perfect for making ahead of time. If you plan on using it within a few days, you can refrigerate it for up to two days or store it in the freezer in an airtight freezer container for up to three months.
Here is how to make black bean chicken casserole ahead of time:
- Prepare all of the ingredients according to the instructions in the recipe card, and layer them into the casserole dish except for the top layer of cheese.
- Cover the casserole and store it in the refrigerator for up to two days or the freezer for up to three months.
- Remove the chicken black bean casserole from the refrigerator at least half an hour before baking it. Top it with freshly grated cheddar cheese and bake it according to the recipe instructions.
- Defrost the frozen casserole in the refrigerator overnight and move it from the refrigerator at least a half hour before placing it into the oven.
Storing Leftovers and Freezer Insturcitons
This is one of those dishes that tastes great the next day, here is how to store and reheat your leftover chicken and black bean casserole:
Store your leftover chicken and black bean casserole covered in the refrigerator for up to three days. Heat it up in the oven or in the microwave for a quick dinner or easy lunch.
Freeze leftover chicken and black bean casserole in a covered freezer-proof container for up to three months.
Reheat. If your casserole dish is freezer to oven safe, you can place the casserole in the oven while it's still frozen and bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes or you can thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and bake it at 350 for about 30 minutes.
Ground Chicken and Black Bean Casserole Recipe Variations
Make it vegetarian. Replace the meat with 1 ½ cups cooked quinoa or a block of crumbled firm tofu or add an extra cup of beans.
Change up the beans. Use any combination of beans such as white beans, kidney beans, or pinto beans.
Leave out the tortillas. Layer the bottom of the casserole dish with a cup of cooked rice and top it with the chicken bean mixture followed by the cheese.
Crunchy chicken and black bean casserole. Add ½ cup to 1 cup of crumbled tortilla chips on top of the cheese for 5 to 10 minutes before removing the casserole from the oven.
Add olives. Add ½ cup of sliced black olives to the chicken and bean mix.
My family loves Mexican food, and this recipe taste has all of the Mexican flavors. It tastes great topped with shredded lettuce, chopped green onions, homemade guacamole, fresh garden tomato salsa, Greek yogurt or sour cream, and a simple side salad.
Try These Mexican Recipes
- Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken and Black Beans
- Slow-Cooked Chipotle Chicken Stew
- Easy Healthy Turkey Chili
- Healthy Beef Tacos
- Easy Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- Bison Chili
- Black Bean Sheet Pan Nacho Salad
Sign up for our Mailing List to Receive Menu Ideas and More!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus about a teaspoon to coat the casserole dish
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 1//2 cups chopped tomatoes - about two large tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups canned and rinsed or cooked
- black beans
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 ounces of cheddar cheese shredded
- pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F
- place 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and heat it over medium to high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the bell peppers, onions, and garlic to the skillet and cook for a few minutes until they begin to soften.
- next, add the chicken and spices; reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook until the chicken is cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the tomatoes, jalapeno peppers and beans, stir in the cilantro and simmer on low for 5 minutes and turn the heat off.
- Coat a casserole dish with the remaining teaspoon of oil and place 2 tortillas in a single layer in the dish.
- Place half of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas and then half of the cheese
- place the remaining 2 tortillas on top of the chicken mixture and then the meat and the cheese.
- bake at 350 covered for 20 minutes
- remove the cover and bake for 5 minutes more.
- pre-cooked chicken (leftover) can be used to make this recipe by adding cooking the vegetables first and adding the chicken with the seasonings
- this recipe can be made vegetarian by omitting the chicken and adding 1 ½ cups cooked quinoa or 1 cup crumbled tofu
- canned tomatoes can be used in place of fresh
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to three days
- Make this casserole ahead of time. Store in refrigerator for up to two days before baking
- Serving ideas: guacamole, sliced avocados, lime juice, Greek yogurt or sour cream
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 538Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 150mgSodium: 299mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 9gSugar: 9gProtein: 41g
Nutrition information is provided by an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.