Jamaican Jerk Chicken burgers are tasty, lean burgers that are flavored with a homemade jerk seasoning blend.
Here is another quick and tasty dinner idea! Jamaican chicken burgers. They are lean and packed with flavor, thanks to homemade spicy jerk seasoning blend.
Jerk chicken burgers can be grilled or cooked on top of the stove. Serve these burgers stuffed into a crusty roll with a side salad or skip the roll an serve it on top of a bed of greens.
What is jerk seasoning?
Jerk seasoning is a rich and spicy combination of herbs and spices that originated in the Caribbean. You can buy jerk seasoning in the supermarket, or you can make it yourself.
The mixture of spices can vary but the fundamental ingredients are allspice, nutmeg, onion garlic, cinnamon, thyme, hot pepper. I played around with different combinations and found the blend below to be the best tasting.
Traditional jerk seasoning is made with habanero peppers, but any kind of hot pepper will work in the spice blend. I use red pepper flakes and cayenne. If you don’t like the heat, you can leave out the cayenne pepper.
Jerk spice blend can be sprinkled on chicken, pork or seafood. We also like it on vegetables and on our eggs.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Jerk Chicken Burger Ingredients
The ingredient list for these burgers is straight forward. You will need the spice blend, ground chicken and a little bit of tamari sauce.
Here is what you will need to mix up a spicy blend of jerk seasoning.
- onion powder
- cayenne pepper
- crushed red pepper
- dried thyme
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- sea salt
- coconut sugar
Here is How to make Jerk Chicken Burgers
It takes a few minutes to put these burgers together, and they can be cooked on the grill or on top of the stove. To prepare the burgers, add the ground chicken breast to a bowl, stir in the jerk seasoning blend and form the meat into four patties. Brush the burgers with tamari sauce.
- Place the chicken burgers on a pre-heated grill (medium-high) cook for 4 minutes, brush with tamari sauce again and flip them
- Cook the burgers for 4 minutes more until or until the internal temperature reaches 165
Stove Top Method
- Preheat a Cast Iron or your favorite skillet over medium to high heat with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the burgers to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes brushing with tamari sauce before turning
- Flip and cook 4 to 5 minutes longer until internal temperature reaches 165
Jerk Chicken Burger Suggestions
- Serve Jerk Burger Sliders at your next party. Shape the burgers into 8 or 9 patties and serve them in slider rolls
- Substitute Chicken with ground turkey or pork
- Freeze your burgers – Form the patties and arrange them on a parchment lined baking sheet (uncooked) and place them in the freezer. Once the patties are frozen store them is a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Burger
Jerk chicken burgers are lean, spicy and perfect for a quick and easy dinner!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
1 pound ground chicken breast
1/8 cup minced onions
1 tablespoon tamari sauce
Jerk Spice Blend
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea slat
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon allspice
Mix up the spice blend
Mince the onions
Add the ground chicken to a bowl
Add the onions to the chicken in the bowl
Add 1 tablespoon of the spice blend to the chicken and onions, mix well
Form the chicken into 4 patties and brush with tamari sauce
- Place the burgers on a pre-heated grill (medium to high heat) grill for 4 minutes, brush again with tamari sauce and flip
- Cook the burgers for 4 minutes more or until internal temperature reaches 165
- Heat a cast iron skillet with 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium to high heat.
- Place the burgers in the heated pan and cook 5 minutes, coat with tamari sauce and flip
- Cook the burgers for 4 to 5 minutes longer until they reach an internal temperature of 165
Keywords: jerk chicken burgers,chicken burgers, grilled chicken burgers