Simple spinach salad with basil is a flavorful salad that is made with spinach, sweet basil, and salty prosciutto tossed in a warm dressing.
The combination of spinach and basil adds a savory yet sweet flavor; the perfect blend of fresh ingredients. And, it is super easy to make with just 6 ingredients.
If you love simple salads like this one, try this recipe for arugula salad with pistachios.
Why you will love this recipe
- It is an easy recipe that takes minutes to make with simple and healthy ingredients
- It can easily be made ahead of time.
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Baby spinach
- Fresh basil leaves
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
How to make spinach and basil salad
Prepare the ingredients: rinse and dry the raw spinach and basil. Trim off any long stems and place them into a large bowl.
Cut the prosciutto into small pieces and set it aside and shred the parmesan cheese.
Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet, over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add the garlic and prosciutto; cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
Pour the hot oil mixture over the spinach and basil in the salad bowl.
Add freshly grated parmesan cheese, toss, and serve.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
Spinach - Tender baby spinach works the best in this salad. If you can't find baby spinach it can be replaced with regular spinach that's been trimmed and roughly chopped.
Parmesan cheese - Look for a block of parmesan cheese and grate it yourself. It tastes fresher and much better.
Make ahead instructions
Make this salad ahead of time; combine the spinach and basil in a bowl. Chop the garlic and prosciutto and place them in a separate container. Store the ingredients in the refrigerator in separate containers for up to two days.
To put the salad together, just before serving heat the oil, prosciutto, and garlic. Pour it over the spinach and basil sprinkle with cheese and serve.
How to store leftover spinach salad
Unlike most dressed salads, that don't taste good as leftovers, this one does! Store leftover spinach salad in an airtight container for one to two days. It will be wilted, but will still taste great.
What to serve with spinach basil salad
Serve this salad as a main dish with a pinch of black pepper and grilled chicken breast on top for a healthy light meal.
Spinach basil salad also tastes great as a side dish with pasta or pasta salad. We like it with turkey burgers, chicken giambotta, Pasta with Bolognese, Chicken Murphy, Deconstructed Stuffed Peppers, Lasagna Rolls or a Kale and Pasta Bake.
Add nuts or seeds - Add ¼ cup pine nuts, sunflower seeds, or chopped walnuts to the oil with the prosciutto.
Change up the meat - Replace the prosciutto with pancetta or bacon.
- The warm oil will wilt the spinach when it's poured over the salad. If you prefer your spinach fresher and less wilted, let the oil cool for a few minutes before adding it to the salad.
You might also like these healthy recipes
- Baby Arugula Salad with Pistachios
- Pasta and Spinach with Mushrooms
- Kale Caesar Salad
- Asian Pasta and Spinach Salad
Do you like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 ½ cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- ⅛ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 ounces uncured prosciutto chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare the ingredients: rinse and dry the spinach and basil leaves. Trim off any long stems and place them into a large salad bowl. Cut the prosciutto into small pieces and shred the parmesan cheese.
- place the rinsed and dried spinach and basil into a salad bowl and mix them together
- heat a small pan over medium-high heat and add the ⅛ cup olive oil
- once the oil is hot, add the prosciutto and garlic.
- cook the for about 3 to 4 minutes
- remove the pan from heat and pour it over the salad
- sprinkle the salad with freshly grated parmesan cheese and serve
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
A great recipe and simple to make!
Thank you Marie! I'm glad you like it.