Healthy Whole wheat lasagna noodles are wrapped around a combination of ground turkey, sweet potatoes an Greek yogurt for a unique version of lasagna.
Whole heat Lasagna roll ups are individual portions of lasagna stuffed, neatly rolled up and covered with a creamy white sauce. It’s the ultimate comfort food that’s hearty, rich and packed with flavor.
Lasagna is a versatile dish. It’s perfect to serve to a crowd or to your family or for a freezer meal. It can be made ahead of time, so you have time to spend with your guests and not in front of the stove. Make up a double batch of these whole wheat lasagna roll ups with ground turkey and freeze it for another day.
Serve this dish with a salad for a filling, hearty and healthy dinner.
Here is what you will need to make whole wheat lasagna rolls with ground turkey
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
Whole wheat lasagna noodles – Whole wheat pasta is healthier choice, it has more fiber and nutrients than white pasta. Since this is recipe is for lasagna roll ups, no boil noodles won’t work here.
Ground Turkey – Packages labeled ground turkey breast will contain only ground turkey breast meat which is very lean and dryer. Packages labeled ground turkey can contain breast meat, thighs and drum sticks which have a higher fat content. Either one will work in this recipe.
Baked Sweet Potatoes – a sweet flavor that tames the tangy flavor of the Greek Yogurt.
Tip! Sweet potatoes take about an hour to bake, Bake them ahead of time when you are preparing another dinner so they are ready when it’s time to make the turkey lasagna roll ups.
Greek Yogurt – Adds a tangy flavor the turkey and sweet potatoes
White Cream Sauce Ingredients
Milk – I like to use whole milk or 2% which makes a creamy but not overly heavy sauce.
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese from a block which tastes much better than the pre-grated cheese.
Flour – Whole wheat or sprouted wheat will perfectly thicken the sauce.
Here is How to Make this recipe
This recipe takes time to make, I’ve found that preparing the ingredients in this order is the most efficient use of time.
Prepare the ingredients; bake the sweet potato, boil the pasta and brown the meat and garlic.
Make the sauce; melt the butter in a saucepan with the garlic
add the flour to form a roux
gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until the sauce has thickened. Turn the heat off and set the sauce aside.
Scoop out the pulp form the sweet potato once it has cooled off and add it to the skillet with the cooked turkey and the yogurt, and mix it all together.
Arrange the cooked lasagna noodles on a piece of parchment or a board and add approximately 3 tablespoons of the filling to the top of each lasagna noodle. I like to make separate piles of the filling so that it’s easier to spread instead of one big one.
Using a spreading knife, spread the filling so that it covers about 3/4 of the noodle and roll it up.
Place 1/2 cup of the sauce in the bottom of a baking dish and place the lasagna rolls on top. Pour on the remaining sauce, cover and bake.
Tips & Variations
- Make ahead instructions: Bake the potatoes, cook the meat and make the sauce, and store all of the ingredients in the refrigerator. On the day of, boil the noodles and put it all together.
- Freezer Instructions: Lasagna rolls can be frozen individually by placing each roll on a baking sheet. Once they are frozen, add them to a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator overnight add sauce, cover and bake them.
- Or you can freeze the lasagna roll ups the entire dish put together in an air-tight casserole dish for up to three months, defrost in the refrigerator overnight and bake.
- Change it up: Use marinara sauce in place of the white sauce for a slightly lighter version.
- Use ground chicken or beef in place of ground turkey
You Might also like these recipesPrint
Whole Wheat Lasagna Roll ups with Ground Turkey
Whole wheat Lasagna roll ups with turkey are a hearty and flavorful twist on classic lasagna
- Prep Time: 60
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 rolls 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
For the Roll Ups
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 small (enough to equal about one cup of pulp after it has been baked)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 6 whole wheat lasagna noodles uncooked
For The Sauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups milk
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Prepare the ingredients: Wash and pierce the sweet potato(es) with a fork and place it on a pan in the oven to bake.
- While the sweet potato(es) are baking, start the water for the pasta. Add 6 lasagna noodles to the boiling water and cook it for 8 minutes, and drain it.
- While the pasta is cooking, brown 1 pound of ground turkey with two cloves of chopped garlic.
- Shred the Parmesan cheese and set it aside.
- Once the sweet potato(es) are cooked set them aside to cool
- At this point you can make the sauce: melt 3 tablespoons butter in a saucepan with the garlic. Once the butter is melted, turn the heat to low and stir in 3 tablespoons of flour to form a roux (a paste).
- Gradually whisk in the 2 cups of milk by 1/2 cup increments at a time. Stir often, and once the sauce begins to thicken add more milk until it is gone. Continue to stir until the sauce becomes thick.
- Stir in 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese and turn the heat off.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350
- Make The Lasagna Rolls: Carefully slice the sweet potatoes in half, scoop out the pulp with a spoon and add it to the pan with the turkey.
- Add the 1/ 2 cup of Greek yogurt and mix all of the ingredients together.
- Arrange the cooked lasagna noodles on a piece of parchment or a board and add approximately 3 tablespoons of the filling to the top of each lasagna noodle. I like to make separate piles of the filling so that it’s easier to spread instead of one big one.
- Using a spreading knife, spread the filling so that it covers about 3/4 of the noodle and roll it up.
- Place 1/2 cup of the sauce in the bottom of an 8X8 baking dish and place the lasagna rolls on top of the sauce.
- Pour the remaining sauce on top of the lasagna rolls, cover and and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for 10 minutes longer.
Keywords: Whole wheat Lasagna, Turkey lasagna
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.