This filet mignon sandwich is flavor-packed! It's made with melt-in-your-mouth beef filet, grilled peppers, and onions tucked into a delicious roll; the perfect sandwich for lunch or dinner.
If you're looking for a satisfying meal to share with friends or enjoy on your own, this filet mignon steak sandwich is the perfect choice. Whether it's a weekend brunch, casual lunch or dinner, this sandwich is the ultimate indulgence.
🤍Why you will love this recipe
- It's easy to make and perfect for dinner or appetizers!
- Flavor! Beef tenderloin is tender and juicy; perfect for a sandwich!
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission if products are purchased through links at no additional charge to you.
- Beef filet mignon steaks
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Bell peppers
- Olive oil
- Your favorite cheese
- Rolls such as ciabatta rolls, onion rolls or small crusty dinner rolls
- Grill or grill pan
How to make a grilled filet mignon sandwich
The complete list of ingredients to make this delicious steak sandwich is above. Below are notes about some of the ingredients and ideas for substitutes.
Prepare the ingredients: rinse and trim the pepper and onion and coat them with a little olive oi, preheat the grill at medium-high heat and season the steak.
Step 1. Cook the steak
Once the grill is hot place the steaks onto the grill, cook for a few minutes on high to sear in the flavor. Reduce the heat to medium heat, flip over, and add the vegetables. Continue to cook until the steak is done to your preference.
Step 2. Slice the ingredients
Let the steaks rest for about 5 to 10 minutes. Use a sharp knife to slice the steak and peppers.
Step 3. Assemble the sandwich
If you are using cheese, place a thin slice of cheese on top of each roll, then add the filet mignon pieces, top with peppers and onions.
Tip! Try an instant-read meat thermometer from Thermoworks for the quickest and best results!
Ingredient notes and substitutions
Filet Mignon - Beef filet is a highly flavorful meat. Look for a steak that is bright red in color and appears to be well-trimmed with modest marbling.
Check out ButcherBox for high-quality meat delivered to your door!
Salt and Pepper - Tender filet mignon is a cut of meat that doesn't really need seasoning. However, I prefer to sprinkle some sea or kosher salt and crushed black peppercorns 15 to 30 minutes before cooking. This step is not mandatory, and you can use your preferred beef seasoning or skip it altogether.
Bell peppers - Any color of bell pepper will work.
How to store leftover beef filet sandwiches
Beef filet sandwiches are best when eaten just after cooking them. But in the event you do have leftovers, store the beef, and peppers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and the rolls separately at room temperature.
GET YOUR FREE GUIDE!
Whip up quick and delicious meals with the ingredients you have in your kitchen!
Add Veggies such as lettuce or peppery arugula, sliced tomatoes, slices of large fresh California avocado and thin slices of raw onions in addition to the peppers or in place of them.
Change up the cheese and try cheddar cheese, mozzarella, provolone cheese, gruyere cheese or blue cheese.
Lower carb - if you are counting carbs, make this sandwich on open face on a slice of crusty toasted artisinal bread.
Use a different cut of beef - London broil is a great choice for a crowd, as is flank or skirt steak.
Caramelized onions - instead of grilling onions, make caramelized onions.
Try a vegan version like this Portobello Mushroom Cheesesteak
- Beef cooks best when it is at room temperature. Allow the steak to reach room temperature by removing it from the fridge for about 30 minutes before grilling.
- Sear in the juices. Before adding the food to the grill make sure the grill is extremely hot and brush olive oil onto the grates just before adding the food.
- Cut the peppers into halves or quarters. This will keep them from falling through the grill grates or use a grill topper for the peppers.
- Slice onions at least a half inch thick in size. This will keep the onion slices from falling through the grates. Use a skewer to hold the layers of the onion together on the grill.
While these sandwiches taste best when they are fresh off the grill, you can assemble them ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator. When serving them, reheat them in a preheated oven at a low temperature (275 to 300 degrees f) until they are warmed through.
Yes! While grilling adds a smokey flavor, you can easily make this sandwich in a skillet. Season the meat and prepare the ingredients as per the recipe card. Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add the filet steak and cook it for a few minutes on each side until it reaches your desired level of doneness. Remove it from the heat and let it rest. Add the peppers and onions and toss them in the skillet until tender. Assemble your sandwich.
You might like these recipes
Do you like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- ¾ pound filet mignon
- 1 small onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 to 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces provolone cheese
- 2 Rolls
- Pre-heat the grill on medium- high heat
- While the grill is heating up, prepare the vegetables: cut the peppers in quarters or half, slice the onions about a half an inch thick
- Brush the oil onto the vegetables
- Sprinkle the spice rub on the room temperature beef
- Once the grill is hot, using a brush rub some olive oil onto the grates, and add the steak and grill for two to three minutes over medium - high heat, then reduce to medium heat, flip and cook until steak is cooked to your preference.
- While steak is cooking add the vegetables to the grill and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the steak from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes
- Remove the vegetables from the grill and cut them into slices
- Slice the steak
- Assemble the sandwich and enjoy!
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used