Grilled Cuban Flank Steak, is made with flank steak that has been marinated to perfection in a blend of Cuban flavors and grilled. With every bite, you'll enjoy the tender and flavorful experience of this delicious steak.
Serve grilled vegetables with flank steak for an easy dinner on the grill!
This recipe uses a marinade that not only tenderizes the meat but also adds a lot of flavor. The marinade is made up of a blend of zesty citrus juices from orange and lime, along with garlic and herbs.
The combination of ingredients creates a combination of flavors that infuse the flank steak, resulting in a delicious burst of flavor.
🤍Why you will love this recipe
- Flank steak is an excellent choice for grilling, it's lean and it cooks quickly.
- It's easy to prepare! Marinate the meat for a few hours and cook it.
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Flank steak
- Fresh Lime juice
- Lime zest
- Fresh Orange juice
- Orange zest
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Ground cumin
- Soy sauce
- Gas grill or charcoal grill
- Meat thermometer
How to make grilled Cuban flank steak
Prepare the ingredients: Squeeze the juice from the lime and orange. Grate the zest.
STEP 1: Mix the marinade ingredients together in an oblong ceramic or glass bowl. Alternatively, mix and pour marinade into a ziplock bag and add the steak.
STEP 2: Add the steak to the marinade; cover and marinate for at least one hour.
STEP 3: Remove the steak from the refrigerator, pat it dry with paper towels, and let it come to room temperature. Heat the grill at medium-high heat. Once the grill is hot, place steak to the grill and cook it for approximately 5 to 8 minutes on each side.
NOTE: Cooking time will vary, depending on the thickness of your flank steak and your desired degree of doneness. Use an Instant Read Thermometer from Thermoworks for perfectly cooked meat!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
The complete list of ingredients to make this simple flank steak recipe is above. Below are notes about some of the ingredients, along with ideas for substitutes.
Flank Steak - This is the star ingredient of the recipe, and can be substituted with a skirt steak, flat iron steak, hanger steak or tri-tip steak.
Soy Sauce - For a gluten-free version, substitute soy sauce with tamari sauce or coconut aminos.
Season your flank steak with sea salt and black pepper to taste and garnish it with chopped fresh herbs such as oregano leaves, cilantro, and lime wedges.
How to store leftovers
Leftover flank steak can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Use leftover steak in salads, sandwiches, wraps or quesadillas.
Spicy - Add red pepper flakes, chili powder or a dash of your favorite hot sauce to the marinade for extra heat and a spicy kick to your flank steak.
Tropical - Add chopped-up pineapple or mango slices with a splash of lemon juice to the marinade for a tropical twist.
Zesty - Add a tablespoon of red wine vinegar to the marinade.
- Before cooking the steak, coat the grill grates with olive oil spray in order to prevent the meat from sticking to the grill.
- Before cooking, it's best to bring the steak to room temperature. This will help to ensure that the steak cooks more evenly.
- Let the meat rest for a few minutes after cooking, allowing the juices to redistribute through the meat.
- Slice the cooked steak into thin slices across the grain for the best results.
Yes, you can easily make this recipe by searing the steak in a large skillet or grill pan. Make sure the sauté pan or grill pan is well heated before adding the steak to get a good sear on the meat.
Flank steak is the traditional choice for this dish, and you can easily substitute the beef with pork tenderloin or chicken thighs.
GET YOUR FREE GUIDE!
Whip up quick and delicious meals with the ingredients you have in your kitchen!
You might like these recipes
Do you like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- Prepare the ingredients: Squeeze the juice from the lime and orange and grate the zest.
- Mix the marinade ingredients ( 2 tablespoons Lime juice, ½ teaspoon Lime zest, ¼ cup Orange juice, ½ teaspoon Orange zest, 2 tablespoons Olive oil, 1 teaspoon Garlic powder, ½ teaspoon Oregano, ½ teaspoon Ground cumin and 1 tablespoon Soy sauce) together in an oblong glass or ceramic bowl
- Place the flank steak into the bowl with the marinade, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Once the grill is hot add the flank steak to the grill. Cook for approximately 5 to 8 minutes on each side until the internal temperature reaches at least 145 degrees f.
Leftover flank steak suggestions: Salads, sandwiches, wraps, quesadillas or fajitas. See the article above for recipe tips, suggestions and more!
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Check out my list of products and tools that I use all of the time in the kitchen!
Sign Up for Easy Recipes Straight in Your In-Box!