Deliciously sweet caramelized onions are piled high on top of a lean and juicy beef burger to make these caramelized onion burgers.
This post may contain affiliate links, however, I only promote products that I use and think you will love. For more information, please see our Disclosure.
I received free samples of wine from Wine Access, as always all opinions are completely mine.
I wish I could say that this recipe is a quick one, but I can’t. Sometimes we just have to let our food cook low and slow to achieve the maximum potential of flavor, and that’s how it is with caramelized onions.
Making caramelized onions is slow cooking process that can take up to 45 minutes. So be patient and enjoy the fragrant aroma of the onions as they slowly cook in butter and wine while you dream about these juicy burgers.
Wine and Food
Wine and food are meant for each other. I absolutely love trying out different types of wine and pairing them with easy home cooked meals. I also enjoy using wine to cook, and I typically use red wine to make caramelized onions. The wine adds more depth and a touch more sweetness which enhances the flavor of the slow cooked onions.
Quality wine is an absolute must even when you are cooking with it. My preference is a Cabernet or Merlot when making caramelized onions, especially when they are being served with beef. Most recently I chose to add and to pair my caramelized onion burger with 2015 Clos Saite Anne Premieres Cotes de Bordeaux, a Merlot – Cabernet Sauvignon which was introduced to me through Wine Access. The wine not only tasted delicious in the onions, but paired perfectly with the rich flavor of these burgers.
If you love wine, and haven’t heard of Wine Access, I highly suggest that you check them out. They are a unique online wine store; their wine experts search the world for premium wines and actually taste them before deciding which wines will make the cut. I had the opportunity to try out three of their wines and each one was outstanding. The wines are premium wines that you won’t find everywhere, and their selection changes regularly. If you love learning about and trying new and different wines, head on over to the Wine Access Storepage.
Caramelized Onion Burger Ingredients
Here is what you will need to make this recipe:
- Caramelized onions – Here is my recipe for caramelized onions
- red wine – a good Cabernet or Merlot is perfect, for some ideas, check out the Wine Access Storepage.
- lean ground beef – lean grass-fed chuck or chopped sirloin is my recommendation. If you don’t have access to grass-fed good quality ground chuck, round or sirloin will do.
- sea salt
- cracked pepper
- sharp cheddar cheese
Recipe Steps for Caramelized Onion Burgers
Please note that this a list of steps to give you an idea how to make this recipe. Full details are in the recipe card below.
- Make the burgers by forming them into four patties
- Sprinkle each one with sea salt and pepper
- Grill the burgers for about 5 to 8 minutes on each side
- Top the burgers with cheese, and pile on the caramelized onions.
Caramelized Onion Burger Tips and Variations
- Make onions ahead of time – the caramelized onions can be made ahead of time and heated up before topping your burger with them.
- Use a meat thermometer for a perfectly cooked burger. Medium rare – 125 to 130, Medium 135 – 140, Medium Well 145 – 160.
- Switch out the ground beef for 1 pound ground chicken, pork or bison
- Add a slice of bacon to each burger
You Might Also Like these Burger RecipesPrint
Carmelized Onion Burger
Sweet caramelized onions are piled high on top of a lean and juicy beef burger to make these caramelized onion burgers
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
- Caramelized Onions
- 1 pound lean ground grass fed beef
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- If you are making your onions at the same time as the burger. Pre-heat the grill about 20 minutes after the onions have been cooking.
- Make the burgers by shaping them into 4 patties
- Sprinkle each one with sea salt and pepper
- Just as the onions are finishing up, add the burgers to the grill and grill for 6 to 8 minutes on one side and flip them. Cook for about 5 minutes more.
- If you are using cheese, top each burger with cheese and cook the burger until it reaches desired internal temperature.
- Top each burger with a spoonful of onions.
Nutrition information does not include the roll. Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.
Keywords: Burgers, burger recipe, grilled burger recpe