California Burger Bowls are grilled burgers served without the roll in a bowl along with lettuce, onions, fresh tomatoes, and sliced avocado for a low-carb and filling and nutritious meal.
This burger bowl is like a hamburger salad, and it is one of the easiest and quickest dinners to make.There are only a few simple ingredients needed, and in less than an hour you can have this bowl on your dinner table. Here is what you will need to make this California Burger in a bowl: ground beef, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, avocado, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, sea salt and pepper.
Barbecue season is here, and it’s time to fire up the grill and make some burgers! I enjoy my burgers loaded up with the fixings and and I like to skip the bread so I can add even more fixings. This is one of our favorite quick summer meals, it’s just perfect for busy nights during the week or if it’s just too hot to cook a big meal.
You can assemble the fixings in bowls while the burgers are cooking. Once the burgers are cooked, add them to the bowl and top with salad dressing.
Here is how to make California Burger Bowls
Please note that this a list of steps to give you an idea how to make this recipe. Full details are in the recipe card below.
- Heat the grill and form the ground beef into patties
- Cook the hamburger patties
- While the hamburgers are cooking, add the vegetables to a bowl and mix up the dressing
- Once the burgers are cooked add them to the bowl
Total Estimated Time Start to Finish: 20 to 30 Minutes
California Burger Bowl Tips and Variations
The best beef to use in burger bowls
- I prefer grass-fed ground beef (chuck, round or sirloin) to make our burgers. Grass-fed beef is a leaner and healthier option. Grass-fed beef should be cooked over low heat, and served rare to medium for optimum flavor.
- If you don’t have access to grass-fed beef, a good leaner cut of ground round or sirloin will work or check out the beef selection at ButcherBox
Alternative Burger Choices
- You can use any kind of burger in a burger bowl. Try these Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers, these Mushroom Veggie Burgers or any of your favorite burgers.
Change It Up
- Instead of the salad dressing, add salsa to the bowl and a little bit of shredded cheddar cheese for a Tex-Mex burger bowl.
- Leave out the avocado slices, add diced cucumbers, olives and feta cheese crumbles for a Greek burger bowl.
- Replace the balsamic vinegar with either red wine vinegar or lemon juice in the salad dressing
- Add a teaspoon of maple syrup to the dressing for a touch of sweetness or try a teaspoon of dijon mustard for a creamy texture or add both.
You Might Like These Bowl RecipesPrint