This Chicken Murphy recipe is made with bite sized pieces of chicken and sausage combined with peppers and tomatoes. It is a plate of deliciousness that’s spicy, savory and gluten-free.
What Is Chicken Murphy?
Chicken Murphy is a chicken dinner that takes a little bit of time to make, but the time spent preparing this dish is well worth it. How can you go wrong when chicken, sausage and potatoes are involved?
The combination of the chicken, Italian sausage, potatoes, hot and sweet peppers combined in a spicy tomato based sauce are a perfect blend especially when they cook slowly in the oven.
You might be thinking that this is a recipe with Irish roots from its name, “Chicken Murphy.” It is actually an Italian inspired dish that is rumored to have originated at the “Jersey Shore” or New York City.
Chicken Murphy is easy to make and there are are several variations. Some recipes are made with a brown gravy, but we prefer the tomato version.
Once all of the ingredients have all been browned, they are then left to cook slowly in the oven which allows the flavors to blend beautifully together. Chicken Murphy is perfect for weekend dinners, entertaining or meal prepping. Make a large batch ahead of time, and pop it in the oven when it’s time to eat and everyone will be happy.
Chicken Murphy Ingredients
Even though the ingredient list may seem long for this Chicken Murphy recipe, every single ingredient contributes to the flavor. Here is what you will need to make chicken Murphy:
- olive oil
- boneless chicken breast
- Italian sausage,
- bell peppers
- diced tomatoes
Here Is How To Make Chicken Murphy
Please note that this a list of steps to give you an idea how to make this recipe. Full details are in the recipe card below.
- Cook the sausage in a skillet and set it aside on a paper towel to drain some of the fat
- Brown the potatoes in a skillet and add them to a casserole dish
- Next, brown the mushrooms and add to the potatoes
- Cook the onions and garlic and add to the casserole dish with the potatoes and mushrooms
- Add the bell peppers to the skillet and cook, remove and add to the casserole dish
- Last, cook the chicken and add it to the mixture the mixture in the casserole dish
- Add the sausage to the casserole dish
- Pour on the hot peppers, tomatoes and brine from the peppers
Estimated Time Start to Finish: 2 to 2 1/2 Hours
Tips For Making Chicken Murphy
- Boneless chicken breasts or chicken tenders are the best type of chicken to use to make this Chicken Murphy recipe.
- The best sausage to use is Italian sausage; hot or sweet works and so does turkey sausage in place of Pork.
- After browning the sausage, drain the excess fat by placing it on a paper towel.
- The Best Potatoes to use are Russet or Yukon Gold Potatoes.
Chicken Murphy Recipe Variations
- Turn down the heat. If you don’t like hot food, substitute the hot peppers with ones that are less hot, such as peppadew peppers or sweet cherry peppers
- Low-Carb Version – Leave the potatoes out
Serve Chicken Murphy With
- Serve Chicken Murphy with a big salad like this Spinach Salad with Basil, steamed green beans or Green Beans and Bacon and a loaf of crusty bread.
- Chicken Murphy also tastes great served over a bed of zucchini noodles for a low-carb version without the potatoes.
You Might Also Like These Dinner Ideas
This Chicken Murphy recipe is made with bite sized pieces of chicken and sausage combined with peppers and tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 90
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 4 to 6 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stove/Oven
- Cuisine: American Italian
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts or chicken tenders cut into one inch chunks
- 1/4 pound Sweet or Hot Italian Sausage
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, cut into one inch sized pieces
- 16 ounces of cremini mushrooms, stems removed and sliced into quarters
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, cut into slices
- 1 red bell pepper cut into slices
- 1 green pepper cut into slices
- 1 cup fresh diced tomatoes or no salt or sugar added canned
- 1/2 cup chopped pepperoncini
- 1/4 cup of brine of pepperoncini
- Heat a skillet over medium to high heat, brown the sausage and set aside to drain on a paper towel.
- Add the potatoes to the pan and cook until they become golden brown, remove from heat and place into baking pan.
- Next add the mushrooms and cook until they have a semi-crusty texture and place in baking pan
- Cook the onions and garlic until they become translucent, remove and place in baking pan
- Add the bell peppers and cook until they start to soften, and add to baking pan
- Last, brown the chicken and add to the mixture of ingredients in the pan and top with the sausage.
- Pour the tomatoes, hot peppers and brine over the top and gently stir the mixutre
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes at 350
- Uncover and cook for 10 minutes longer
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.
Keywords: chicken dinner, easy dinner idea
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***