This chicken savoy recipe is a flavorful chicken recipe that is rubbed in garlic and fresh Italian herbs and quickly cooked. It's juicy, and perfect for busy weeknights or to serve guests.
Chicken savoy is very popular throughout many Italian restaurants in northern New Jersey. It was created several years ago by a chef named Stretch in the Belmont Tavern which is an iconic red checkered tablecloth restaurant. The Belmont Tavern is also the same place that's famous for chicken murphy.
Chicken savoy is typically made with whole chicken or bone-in chicken pieces. I decided to change it up and make chicken savoy with boneless chicken breasts and thighs. It cooks faster and is just as flavorful as the traditional bone-in version.
Why this recipe works
- It's a quick recipe for two that's easy to scale.
- It's healthy and made with lean boneless chicken breasts.
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Parmesan Cheese
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- Dried rosemary
- Red wine vinegar
- Cast iron skillet or a heavy oven-proof skillet
- Small Microplane cheese grater
- Small offset spatula
- Meat Thermometer
How to make chicken savoy with boneless chicken breasts
Prepare - Preheat the oven to 400 degrees f. Shred the parmesan cheese with a small Microplane grater. Measure the herbs and vinegar.
Step 1. Mix the herbs and cheese together
Crush the garlic with the back of a spoon or a garlic crusher and place it into a small bowl. Add the herbs, grated cheese and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Step 2. Brown the chicken
Heat the remaining oil in a heavy cast-iron skillet over high heat. Pat the chicken pieces dry with a paper towel and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken and cook until the underside starts to turn golden brown (about 3 - 5 minutes)
Step 3. Spread on the herbs
Flip the chicken breasts over, and use an offset spatula to spread the herb mixture over the chicken.
Step 4. Bake
Transfer the cast-iron skillet to a preheated oven and bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees f.
Step 5. Add Vinegar
Remove the skillet from the oven and place it on top of the stove over low heat. Add the vinegar and stir. Let the chicken simmer for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Note: Cooking time can vary depending on the thickness of the chicken. Begin checking the temperature after the chicken has been in the oven for 10 minutes.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
The complete list of ingredients to make this chicken savoy recipe is above. Below are notes about some of the ingredients, along with ideas for substitutes.
Boneless chicken breasts - look for thick boneless chicken breasts that are about 1 inch or more.
Boneless chicken thighs are also a great substitute for boneless breasts, or you can use a combination of both boneless chicken thighs and chicken breasts.
You can also use bone-in chicken breasts to make chicken savoy the traditional way increase the oven temperature to 400 and cook for approximately 10 minutes longer.
Red wine vinegar - adds a nice tangy flavor for this dish. If prefer a milder flavor, the vinegar can be replaced with chicken stock, broth or white wine.
This is a very basic recipe in that you can easily build the flavors. Here are some suggestions to try.
Spicy chicken savoy - add ¼ to ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the herb mixture.
Balsamic chicken savoy - instead of red wine vinegar, use an equal amount of balsamic vinegar.
Change up the herbs - Add any of these herbs for extra flavor; basil, tarragon, parsley, herbs de Provence, or Italian seasoning.
How to store leftovers
Leftover chicken savoy will last in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container.
Serve leftovers heated or cold in a salad, sandwich or wrap.
Drop your email below to receive tips for preparing easy meals and free recipes straight into your inbox!
Serve chicken savoy with a spinach salad and a side of sauteed cauliflower or sauteed spinach with mushrooms, roasted brussels sprouts, sauteed mushrooms and smashed rosemary garlic baby potatoes.
- The key to keeping the boneless chicken breast moist and juicy is to remove the chicken from the oven just as it reaches 165 degrees f.
- To achieve a nice golden brown color on the outside of the chicken, be sure to pat the chicken dry before placing it in the hot skillet.
The oil is ready for cooking when it shimmers in the skillet. When you add the chicken, the pan should sizzle.
If you are substituting bone-in chicken breasts for baking, you will need to add 10 to 15 minutes more of cooking time until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees f.
Have you tried these healthy recipes?
Do you like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- ¾ pound boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Prepare - Preheat the oven to 400 degrees f. Shred the parmesan cheese with a small micorplane grater. Measure the herbs and vinegar.
- Crush the garlic with the back of a large spoon or use a garlic crusher and place into a small bowl. Add the dried herbs, grated cheese and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium to high heat. Pat the chicken pieces dry with a paper towel and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken breasts and cook until the underside starts to turn golden brown (about 3-5 minutes).
- Flip the chicken breasts over, and spread the herb/garlic mixture over the chicken.
- Place the skillet into a preheated oven and bake at 400 degrees f. for 10 to 12 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees f.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and place it on top of the stove over low heat. Stir in the vinegar, and simmer the chicken for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Check out more of our less than 10-ingredient recipes here!
Leave a Reply