Smashed roasted garlic rosemary potatoes are the perfect side dish for any dinner. They are fluffy and soft on the inside and crispy on the outside, and when you add the flavors of garlic and rosemary it’s potato perfection.
These potatoes aren’t mashed, they are roasted in the oven and smashed gently then placed back into the oven. They are delicious with a short ingredient list and a few simple steps.
Thank you Melissa’s Produce for sending me fresh produce to make this recipe. As always all opinions are my own.
It’s an easy side dish recipe with only 6 ingredients and made in one pan.
Crispy buttery and full of flavor potatoes that aren’t fried and not bad for you.
Versatile side dish or appetizer
What You Will Need
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
Baby potatoes, we like Dutch potatoes, but you can use red or a mix of baby potatoes. Please note that larger potatoes will not work for this recipe
Olive oil or avocado oil
How to Make Smashed Roasted Garlic Rosemary Potatoes
Please note that is a summary of steps, refer to the recipe card below for details and ingredient amounts
Unlike some recipes for smashed potatoes, that are boiled first, this recipe skips that step. The potatoes are roasted in the oven and then smashed. Here’s how:
Place the cleaned and washed potatoes into a bowl add the oil
Next, add the garlic and fresh herbs and mix everything together.
Arrange the potoates on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake (save the leftover garlic and oil in the bowl for later).
Remove the potatoes from the oven and carefully pierce each one with a fork and then use the back of the fork to slightly smash each one.
Brush the potatoes again with the remaining oil, garlic and herbs in the bowl and place them back in the oven and bake until they are crispy.
Estimated Time To Make This Recipe: 15 to 20 minutes
Get a jump start on preparing your smashed garlic rosemary potatoes. Clean and dry them, mix up the oil with the fresh rosemary. Store the potatoes and the oil mixture in separate containers for up to two days before roasting.
Tips and Variations
Change up the herbs and add any combination of chopped fresh chives, parsley, dill, oregano, basil or thyme.
Replace the fresh herbs with a few sprinkles of dried herbs (go lighter than you would with fresh herbs because dried herbs are more concentrated in flavor).
Sprinkle the potatoes with shredded parmesan, blue or cheddar cheese before serving.
Top with bacon crumbles for extra flavor!
Leftovers and Storage
Smashed rosemary garlic potatoes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days. They taste great the second time around for breakfast or dinner. Here’s how to re-heat them:
Re-heat them in the oven for about 15 minutes to crisp them backup.
Re-heat them on top of the stove: add 1 tablespoon olive oil in a cast-iron pan and brown them up.
Freezing is not recommended.
Smashed potatoes also make a fun and delicious appetizer. Top them with cheese a little bit of bacon and derve them with a side of Greek yogurt and sour cream and chives for dipping.
You Might Also Like These Potato RecipesPrint
Smashed Roasted Rosemary Garlic Potatoes
Roasted smashed garlic and rosemary smashed potatoes are an easy side dish that’s healthy and easy to prepare.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 pounds baby potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- cracked black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- Clean and dry the potatoes and set them aside
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the 1 tablespoon olive oil, 3 tablespoons rosemary and 3 cloves minced garlic together in a mixing bowl.
- Add the cleaned potatoes to the mixing bowl and mix everything together making sure the potatoes are coated in the oil mixture.
- Arrange the potatoes on the baking sheet with parchment and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven; pierce each on with a fork and then use the back of the fork to gently press them down until they appear smashed.
- Brush the potatoes again with the leftover oil mixture that is in the mixing bowl and place them back in the oven until the potatoes turn golden and crispy about 15 to 20 minutes.
Keywords: garlic rosemary potatoes, roasted garlic rosemary potatoes, smashed potatoes
Monday Fall Recipes
- Apple Butternut Squash Casserole by That Recipe
- Apple Pie Tacos Recipe by Blogghetti
- Apple Streusel Cheesecake Bars by Lemon Blossoms
- Apple Tea-ramisu by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls by Sweet Beginnings
- Caramel Apple Crisp by Big Bears Wife
- Caramel Apple Empanadas by Take Two Tapas
- Caramel Apple Ice Cream Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Caramel Apple Spice Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Caramel Apple Tea Cake by An Affair from the Heart
- Caramel Swirl Pound Cake by Family Around the Table
- Creamy Sweet Potato and Sunchoke Soup by Eat Move Make
- Easy Sausage And Veggies Sheet Pan Dinner by Intelligent Domestications
- Fall Harvest Potato Beet Soup by Frugal & Fit
- Fall Punch Mocktail by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Fall Vegetable Breakfast Hash by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Green Appletini Martini by Art of Natural Living
- Grilled Apple and Pear Salad with Maple Walnut Vinaigrette by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Meyer Lemon Scones by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pear Almond Crumble Pie by Savory Moments
- Pear Brown Betty by Cookaholic Wife
- Plum Kuchen by Palatable Pastime
- Scalloped Potatoes with Sweet Potatoes, Fennel, and Leeks by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Smashed Roasted Rosemary & Garlic Potatoes by Simple and Savory
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Toasted Pecan Filling by Books n’ Cooks
- Sunchoke Ricotta Gnocchi with Walnut Thyme Butter Sauce by The Spiffy Cookie
The wonderful #FallFlavors sponsors have donated some awesome prizes for our readers to win. They, in conjunction with our participating bloggers and event hosts, Family Around the Table, A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures, and Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks invite you to enter the giveaway through the widget below. There are many opportunities to enter!
Dixie Crystals Sugar wants your baking to be sweet. They are giving away a set of OXO Good Grips 3 piece Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls.
Taylor and Colledge is giving away a variety of their baking pastes. Your fall and holiday baked goods will wow your family and guests.
Take dinner to a whole new level with a variety box of fresh produce from Melissa’s. Here’s an opportunity to try some fruits and vegetables you may not otherwise have in your local market.
One lucky winner will receive a goodie box with a variety of Nairn’s gluten-free products. Enjoy them for a snack or use them in creative ways for meals and desserts.
This giveaway will have multiple winners. Giveaway open to US residents only who are 18 years of age and older. Winners have 24 hours to respond to email notification. If they do not respond within that time they forfeit, and a new winner is chosen. Void where prohibited. Prize fulfillment handled by the sponsor. Neither hosts nor participant bloggers are responsible for prize fulfillment. No purchase necessary. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, or any other social channel mentioned in the posts or entry.
Follow the Fall Flavors Pinterest board for more fall recipe inspiration!Disclaimer for non-alcoholic recipes: Thank you #FallFlavors Week Sponsors: Melissa’s Produce, Dixie Crystals, Torani, Republic of Tea, Taylor & Colledge, and Nairn’s for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #FallFlavors Week recipes. All opinions are my own. The #FallFlavors Week giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #FallFlavors Week Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors Week posts or entry.