Apple nachos are thinly sliced apples topped with date caramel, chopped walnuts then sprinkled with dried cranberries for a naturally sweet and healthy snack.
Ahhh it’s fall, and it’s apple season which makes it a little easier for me to say hello to fall. That saying “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” is really true, apples have so many health benefits. They are full of antioxidants, vitamins, and fiber, and they taste yummy! Aside from eating them plain, there are lots of ways to enjoy apples; in pies, cakes, cookies, and even savory dishes like these pork chops with sauerkraut and apples. To kick off apple week, I thought I would start with a sweet recipe to get the party going.
I made date caramel to top these apple nachos because I don’t like to cover up healthy foods with not so good for you ingredients. Once dates are mashed up in a food processor, they look and taste like caramel. Doesn’t that topping look like caramel? I like my caramel thick, if you want a thinner caramel, you can add more water for a saucy texture.
These apple nachos are perfect for a quick snack when the kids come home from school, and they will never even know it’s a healthy snack! Here’s how you make them. . .
- 2 to 3 medium apples - I like honey crisp for these
- 10 Medjool dattes that have been pitted and soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1 teaspoon peanut butter
- up to ¼ cup water
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, cashews, almonds or your favorite nuts
- Toppings such as craisins, raisins, chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Slice apples thin and arrange on a platter
- Make the date caramel by draining the dates and placing them into the bowl of a food processor along with the peanut butter
- Process until the dates turn into a paste and form a ball
- Gradually add water until the caramel reaches your desired consistency
- Spread/pour the caramel over the apple slices,then top with your favorite toppings
It’s day 2 of #Appleweek there’s still time to enter the contest to win some cool prizes, you can check them out right here.
Here’s how to enter. . .
And here’s the list of tasty apple recipes for today. . .
Apple Almond Butter Manchego Grilled Cheese from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Apple Almond Chicken Salad from Books n’ Cooks
Apple Bacon Jam from Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
Apple Cinnamon Rolls from Sew You Think You Can Cook
Apple Fritter Pie from Dad What’s 4 Dinner
Apple Nachos from Simple and Savory
Apple Pecan Chicken Salad from The Chef Next Door
Apple Turnovers from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Applesauce Cake with Soft Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting from Cooking With Carlee
Autumn Apple Sipper from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Bavarian Apple Oatmeal Streusel Cheesecake from All That’s Jas
Caramel Apple Cupcakes from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Grilled Apple Tossed Salad from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Mini Apple Muffins with Oatmeal Streusel Topping from Family Around the Table
Nutmeg Apple Conserve from Feeding Big
Red Cabbage with Apple from Palatable Pastime
Roasted Apple and White Cheddar Soup from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
Sauerkraut & Sausage with Apples from House of Nash Eats