Air fryer tofu nuggets are a quick and delicious way to enjoy healthy, flavorful tofu. These nuggets are made with simple ingredients and cook in minutes, making them the perfect snack or addition to salads, pasta, soup or stir fry.
Tofu doesn't have much flavor and usually picks up the flavors of what it is cooked with. This recipe is a basic and simple recipe that makes these bites so versatile. They are crispy on the outside and delicately flavored so that you can use them in many different ways.
Why you will🤍this recipe
- Easy - air fryer tofu bites are so easy to make, with simple ingredients.
- Healthy - these tofu bites are made with simple ingredients, and are not breaded or fried.
- Versatile - there are so many ways to use these tasty bites.
Here is what you will need
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to make this air fryer tofu nuggets recipe
Prepare the ingredients: An hour before cooking, press the tofu to release excess water with a tofu press or wrap it in paper towels or a clean kitchen towel, place it on a plate or cutting board and weigh it down with a heavy object such as a cast iron skillet. Let the block of tofu sit for at least 30 minutes
Grate the fresh ginger, chop the garlic, and measure the sesame oil and tamari sauce.
Step 1. Cut the tofu
Use a sharp knife to cut the tofu block into cubes that are similar in size.
Step 2. Mix the marinade
Combine the marinade ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
Step 3. Marinate the tofu
Add the tofu cubes to the bowl with the marinade and toss to combine. Let the tofu marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Step 4. Place in air fryer
Arrange the tofu cubes in a single layer on an air fryer basket or tray.
Step 5. Air fry until crispy
Place the tofu cubes into a preheated air fryer at 400 degrees f and cook until golden brown and crispy for 10-15 minutes.
Note: Cooking time can vary depending on the model of your air-fryer. The tofu will be done when they are golden and crispy on the outside. For more crispy tofu, cook for 15 minutes.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
Tofu - The best tofu to use in this recipe is firm or extra-firm tofu which will give you a nice meaty texture once it's been air fried. Do not use soft tofu as it will turn out mushy.
Tamari sauce - This is a fermented Japanese soy sauce that is also gluten-free, It can be replaced with soy sauce or coconut aminos.
Fresh garlic and ginger can be replaced with ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder and ⅛ teaspoon of ground ginger.
How to store leftovers
These crispy tofu nuggets are perfect to make for meal prep and use during the week. Store them in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Leftovers can be used cold, at room temperature, or heated in the microwave or oven.
Spicy air-fried tofu bites - Add a dash f sriracha sauce to the marinade.
Citrus - For a refreshing marinade add a tablespoon or 2 of fresh orange or lemon juice.
These flavorful nuggets also taste great in salads, stir-fries or soup.
- Make sure that the tofu has been properly pressed to release excess moisture for best results.
- Don't overcrowd the tofu cubes in the air fryer to ensure even cooking.
- Spray a little bit of avocado oil or olive oil spray onto the air fryer basket or tray to prevent the tofu from sticking.
Make sure to release as much water as you can from the tofu before air frying it. Also, make sure that the tofu is added to a preheated air fryer at 400 degrees.
Yes, tofu is an excellent source of plant-based soy protein and a good replacement for meat.
A tofu press is fairly inexpensive, and it makes extracting excess liquid from tofu easy. If you cook with tofu frequently, it's definitely a toll worth having.
If you don't have an air fryer, you can easily make this air-fryer tofu nuggets recipe in the oven. Follow the instructions in the recipe card but instead of placing the tofu in an air fryer basket, place them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place into a preheated oven at 400 degrees f and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Turn the nuggets over and bake until they are golden brown and crispy for 8 to 10 minutes longer.
You might like these delicious recipes
Do you like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- 1 14 ounce block of tofu
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon ginger freshly grated
- 2 cloves garlic
- Prepare the ingredients: At least an hour before cooking, press the tofu with a tofu press or wrap it in a clean towel or paper towel, place it on a plate and weigh it down with a heavy object such as a cast iron pan. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Grate the fresh ginger, chop the garlic and measure the sesame oil and tamari sauce.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the tofu into bite-sized cubes that are similar in size.
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Add the tofu cubes to the bowl with the marinade and toss to combine. Let the tofu marinate at room temperature for 30 mintues.
- Arrange the tofu cubes in a single layer on a air fryer tray or basket and place it into a preheated air fryer at 400 degrees f. Cook until golden and crispy for 12 to 15 minutes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Check out my list of products and tools that I use all of the time in the kitchen!