Vegetarian Egg Roll in a Bowl is a one pan dinner filled with crunchy cabbage, crumbles of tofu in a soy based sauce.
Here is What you Will Need
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
- Extra firm tofu
- Cabbage, coleslaw mix or broccoli slaw mix
- Fresh Ginger
- Sesame oil
- Tamari sauce
- 6 to 8 wonton wrappers – optional
- Olive oil for brushing the won ton wraps
Why this recipe works
If you like egg rolls, you are going to love this recipe. It has all of the componets of crispy fried egg rolls except for the frying and extra calories. It’s loaded with fresh veggies and tofu then topped with baked wonton wrappers for a little extra crunch.
This recipe is very customizable and checks all of the boxes for your egg roll craving.
- It is quick and easy – it takes only 30 minutes to make with 8 ingredients – go to the recipe now!
- You can make it in one pan and served in one bowl = less clean up!
- Tastes just like an egg roll with less calories.
Serve it with a side of sriracha, spicy mustard or sweet and sour sauce for dipping.
Recipe tips & variations
How to prepare tofu for cooking
Since tofu is pourous and soaked in water, you will need to extract as much water as you can for a firm and meaty texture. Here’s how to do it:
- Several hours or the night before before preparing dinner, open the tofu container and drain the liquid.
- Wrap the tofu block in paper towels or a clean towel.
- Place it on a plate.
- Top the tofu with something heavy to help the towel soak up more moisture. I like to use a small cast iron pan but you can also use a heavy bowl.
- When it’s time to prepare the recipe, unwrap the tofu, the towel should be wet and crumble it up with your fingers.
Easy meal prep idea
Prepare all of the ingredients ahead of time: chop the cabbage, drain and crumble the tofu and wrap it in a paper towel. Store the vegetables and tofu in separate containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
For even faster meal prep, use cole slaw mix or broccoli slaw mix.
Non-vegetarian egg roll in a bowl
Replace the tofu crumbles with 1/2 to 3/4 pound of ground chicken, turkey, beef or pork.
change up the vegetables
Add as many vegetables as you like to the cabbage mixture. Here are some suggestions:
- Shredded carrots
- Thin sliced bell peppers or zucchini
- Shredded brussels sprouts
- Finely chopped broccoli
- Cauliflower rice or regular rice
This is a great recipe to make extra for leftovers. Double the recipe and save leftovers to use throughout the wek.
Vegetarian Egg Rolls in a bowl keep in the refrigerator and are perfect for lunch or another dinner. Store the leftover tofu and vegetable mixture in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days without the crispy wonton wrappers.
They will become soggy in the refrigerator. Instead, store them at room temperature wrapped in parchment or waxed paper and add them to the bowl when it’s time to eat.
You Might Also Like These Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Easy Slow Cooker Asian Pork
- Zucchini Noodle Salad
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.