This crockpot turkey meatloaf recipe is an easy comforting meal. It's a twist on traditional meatloaf and is tender, juicy, and a delicious weeknight dinner that the whole family will love, and there are no bread crumbs so it's gluten-free and low carb too!
Meatloaf, a comfort food classic can become dry when it's made with lean ground turkey. But when it's combined with vegetables and cooked in a slow cooker it's moist and delicious.
The best thing is that this crockpot meatloaf recipe can be prepared earlier in the day and dinner is ready when you are.
If you prefer traditional oven meatloaf, give this homestyle turkey meatloaf a try, another classic comfort food.
- Why you will 🤍this recipe
- Here is what you will need
- How to make slow cooker turkey meatloaf
- Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Recipe variations
- Serving suggestions
- How to store leftover turkey meatloaf
- Tasty leftover meatloaf ideas
- How to make slow cooker meatloaf ahead of time
- You might also like these slow cooker recipes
- 📖 Recipe
Why you will 🤍this recipe
- It's an easy hands-off recipe made with simple ingredients.
- Turkey meatloaf is lighter than traditional meatloaf that is made with ground beef.
Here is what you will need
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is an overview of the ingredients and steps to make this recipe; scroll down for a printable recipe card with exact measurements and detailed instructions.
- Ground turkey
- Bell Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Chopped Cilantro
- Cheddar Cheese
- Jalapeno Pepper
- Fresh Cilantro
- Olive Oil or Cooking Spray
- Slow Cooker
- Mixing bowls
- Chef's Knife
How to make slow cooker turkey meatloaf
Prepare the ingredients: Chop the peppers, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and tomatoes if you are using fresh and set everything aside.
Measure the chili powder, and cumin and shred the cheese.
Coat the slow cooker with olive oil or avocado oil spray.
Step 1. Mix the Salsa
In a small bowl, mix the chopped tomatoes, half of the chopped onions, cilantro, and chopped jalapeno together and set the bowl aside.
Step 2. Mix the Meatloaf
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the turkey, bell peppers, remaining onions and ¼ cup of the salsa mixture, chili powder, cumin and cheese together.
Step 3. Cook the meatloaf
Form the turkey mixture into a loaf shape, place the loaf into the prepared slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
Step 4. Serve it
Top the cooked meatloaf with the remaining salsa mixture and cheese. Cover the slow cooker until the cheese melts and serve.
Note: Cook time can vary depending on the model of your slow cooker. Check the temperature of the meatloaf before removing it from the slow cooker with a quick read meat thermometer.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
Ground Tukey - Look for ground turkey which is a mixture of white meat and dark meat for the best results. All white meat is very lean and may not turn out as moist in the meatloaf.
Bell Pepper - Any color of bell pepper will work in this recipe.
Tomatoes - Fresh or canned low-sodium diced tomatoes can be used in this recipe.
Cheddar Cheese - Use good quality cheddar cheese and shred it yourself, it has more flavor and melts much better than pre-shredded cheese.
Cheddar cheese can be substituted with pepper jack or Colby cheese.
One of the many benefits of making meatloaf at home is that there are so many ways to make it your own! Here are some suggestions.
More heat - If you would like to add more heat to the meatloaf, add ¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes to the meatloaf mixture.
Less heat - Use only one-half of the jalapeno pepper or leave it out completely.
Add more veggies - Add more veggies to the meatloaf such as corn or shredded zucchini.
Italian turkey meatloaf - Leave out the jalapeno pepper, chili powder, and cumin, and add 1 clove of chopped garlic and 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning blend. Replace the cheddar cheese with parmesan cheese.
Serve this delicious meatloaf with your favorite side dishes such as green beans, roasted Brussels sprouts, baked potatoes, or mashed potatoes.
How to store leftover turkey meatloaf
Leftover turkey meatloaf can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Reheat leftovers in the oven or microwave.
Freeze leftover meatloaf - Freeze individual slices of meatloaf by arranging them on a baking sheet and placing them into the freezer. Once they are frozen remove them from the baking sheet and store them in a bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Thaw leftover turkey meatloaf in the refrigerator overnight or heat the slices directly from the freezer in the oven or the microwave.
Tasty leftover meatloaf ideas
Turkey meatloaf sandwich - Serve a slice or two of leftover meatloaf in between 2 slices of toasted bread or roll with lettuce, tomato, and onions.
Turkey meatloaf nachos - Crumble up a slice or two of leftover meatloaf and arrange it over nacho chips, top it with shredded cheese, and place it under the broiler until the cheese melts and the turkey is heated through.
Drop your email below and receive a list of foods you need in your kitchen so that you can make an easy dinner when you don't feel like cooking!
How to make slow cooker meatloaf ahead of time
This is a great recipe to make ahead of time. You can prepare (chop and measure) the ingredients a few days before and store them in separate containers in the refrigerator. When it's time to serve meatloaf, just add the ingredients to a bowl and make the meatloaf.
Alternatively, the meatloaf can be put together, stored in the refrigerator overnight, and cooked the next day.
- Line the inside of the slow cooker with unbleached parchment paper for easy cleanup!
- Use an instant-read thermometer to check the temperature of the meat after 4 hours of cooking.
- If the meatloaf doesn't hold together when forming it, add ½ cup of breadcrumbs or rolled oats.
This turkey meatloaf recipe is not dry. The addition of peppers, onions, tomatoes, and cheese to the meatloaf as well as cooking it in a slow cooker makes this meatloaf moist and flavorful.
Yes, you can! You can make this recipe exactly as is but replace the turkey with the same amount of lean ground beef.
Yes, you can easily make slow-cooker turkey meatloaf in the oven. Follow the directions in the recipe card. After the meat is formed into a loaf, place it into a baking pan or loaf pan and bake at 375 degrees f. for 45 to 50 minutes.
You might also like these slow cooker recipes
Do you like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey
- ¾ Cup Bell Pepper chopped
- ¾ Cup Chopped Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Cilantro Chopped
- ½ Cup Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 1 Cup Diced Tomatoes Fresh or low sodium canned
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper Chopped
- Prepare the ingredients: Chop the peppers, onions, cilantro and tomatoes if you are using fresh. Measure the chili powder and ground cumin; shred the cheese. Coat a slow cooker with olive oil or avocado oil spray.
- In a small bowl, mix the diced tomatoes, half of the onions, cilantro and the chopped jalapeno pepper together and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the turkey, bell peppers, the remaining onions and ¼ cup of the tomato mixture, chili powder, ground cumin and cheese together. Form the meat mixture into a small loaf.
- Carefully place the loaf into a prepared slow cooker. Set the heat to low and cook for 4 hours or until the internal temperature has reached at least 165 degrees F.
- Once the meatloaf is cooked, pour the remaining salsa mixture over the top of the meatloaf and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Cover for a few minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Leave a Reply