Slow-Cooker Chipotle Chicken is a smokey and spicy chicken stew that will warm your soul. It's filled with lean chicken, vegetables, spices, and tomatoes. It's a delicious dinner that the whole family will love.
The smoky flavor from the chipotle chili powder is subtle, yet when it mixes with the heat of the jalapeno peppers and all of the other fresh ingredients, it makes an amazing flavor combination.
We use our slow cooker a lot, it's perfect for weekends or busy nights. In addition to this recipe, slow cooker Mediterranean chicken is another favorite slow cooker recipe.
Why you will 🤍 this recipe
- It's easy to make with minimal effort; perfect for busy days!
- Slow-cooker Mediterranean chicken is healthy and made with fresh ingredients.
- Flavor! This chicken stew is filled with flavor.
What you will need
- Boneless chicken breasts
- Bell peppers
- jalapeño pepper
- Chicken broth
- Fresh tomatoes
- Chipotle chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Dried oregano
- Fresh lime juice
- Chopped cilantro
- Slow cooker
How to make slow cooker chipotle chicken stew
Prepare the ingredients: Slice the peppers into strips, chop the garlic and jalapeno peppers, cut the potatoes into chunks, and measure the spices.
Place the bell peppers and onions into the bottom of the slow cooker.
Place the chicken breasts, garlic, and chopped jalapeno pepper on top and top with the spices.
Arrange the potatoes around the edges and add the chopped tomatoes on top. Cover and cook on low for 2 to 2 ½ hours. At the end of the cooking time, remove the lid and stir in lime juice and chopped fresh cilantro and serve.
Note: cook time can vary depending on the model of your slow cooker and the thickness of the chicken breasts. The chicken will be fully cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees f.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
The complete list of ingredients to make this delicious meal is above. Below are notes about some of the ingredients, along with ideas for substitutes.
Boneless chicken breasts - I like to use boneless chicken breasts because they are easy and lean. You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs or a combination of both.
Bell peppers - Any variety of bell peppers will work, I like to use a variety of green, red, and yellow because I like the color that they add.
Garlic -If you don't have fresh garlic available, you can substitute with ¼ teaspoon per clove of garlic powder or you can also use chopped garlic from a jar.
Jalapeno pepper - Depending on the pepper, one jalapeno pepper can make this stew pretty spicy, if you don't like hot food, you may want to use just a ½ of the jalapeno pepper or leave it out.
Fresh jalapeno peppers can be substituted with one chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce and leave the chipotle chili powder out.
Potatoes - Yukon gold or baby potatoes are the best choices in this recipe. If you use baby potatoes, you don't need to cut them, just rinse them off and add them to the slow cooker.
Fresh chopped tomatoes - Fresh tomatoes add a touch of brightness to this recipe. If you don't have fresh tomatoes, you can use low-sodium diced tomatoes.
This chipotle chicken recipe can be made and served as a one-dish meal. It also tastes great with a side of steamed cauliflower rice and a salad like this arugula salad, Mexican chopped salad, and a side of crusty bread.
Storage and Leftover Ideas
Store leftover chipotle chicken in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Re-heat leftovers on top of the stove, in the oven, or microwave.
Leftover ideas - turn the chicken breasts into shredded chicken and serve in a salad, or use corn tortillas or flour tortillas to make a wrap, tacos, nachos, or quesadilla.
Spicy chipotle chicken soup - Use 3 to 4 cups of chicken broth for spicy soup.
Add beans - Add a can of black beans and use half the amount of potatoes or leave them out.
- Meal Prep Tip! Cut the onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, and potatoes ahead of time so that they are ready to dump and go.
- Wear rubber gloves when cutting jalapeno peppers to avoid burning hands.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, gradually add a cornstarch slurry or flour slurry using equal parts of cornstarch or flour to water.
You do not need to cover the chicken completely when slowly cooking the chicken. You need enough to cover the bottom of the slow cooker as the chicken and vegetables will release liquid as well.
Yes, you can set your slow cooker to high and reduce the cooking time to 1 to 1 ½ hours or when the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees f.
You might also like these delicious recipes
Do you like this recipe?
Please comment and give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Click on serving size to scale this recipe
- 1 pound Chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1 green bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 medium onion sliced thin
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 6 to 8 baby potatoes or 3 yukon gold potatoes
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes about 1 large or 2 small
- ½ tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- a handful of fresh cilantro for garnish
- place the peppers, garlic, onions into the bottom of a slow cooker1 green bell pepper, 1 red bell pepper, 1 medium onion sliced thin, 3 cloves chopped garlic
- top the vegetables with the chicken, chopped jalapeno pepper and spices1 pound Chicken breasts, 1 jalapeno pepper, ½ tablespoon chipotle chili powder, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, ½ teaspoon oregano
- arrange the potatoes around the edges and add the chopped tomatoes.6 to 8 baby potatoes or 3 yukon gold potatoes, ½ cup low sodium chicken broth, ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- cover and cook on low heat for 2 to 2 ½ hours
- add fresh lime juice from one lime and sprinkle with cilantro1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, a handful of fresh cilantro for garnish
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and can vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used
Check out my list of products and tools that I use all of the time in the kitchen!
Sign Up for Easy Recipes Straight in Your In-Box!
Leave a Reply