Slow Cooked Chipotle Chicken is a smokey and spicy chicken stew that will warm your soul. It’s filled with lean chicken, vegetables, spices and tomatoes.
This slow cooker recipe has to be one of the easiest dinners to put on the table. Simply place all of the ingredients into the slow cooker and that’s it.
In a few hours an extremely flavorful meal will be ready to serve. Slow cooked chipotle chicken is perfect for a weekend dinner or a busy weeknight meal.
I can’t think of many things that are better than coming home to a house that smells like a delicious dinner is ready and waiting for you. That’s the beauty of a slow-cooked meal; spend a few minutes earlier in the day or even the night before preparing the ingredients. The slow cooker does its magic, and several hours later, a flavorful one bowl dinner is ready.
The smokey flavor from the chipotle chili powder is subtle, yet when it mixes with the heat of the jalapeno peppers and all of the other fresh ingredients, it makes an amazing flavor combination. Even though this is a super easy dinner to put together, it’s worthy of serving to guests. Make up a big side salad like this Arugula Salad . Don’t forget your favorite whole grain crusty bread to soak up all of the smokey flavor.
Here Is What You Will Need To Make this Recipe
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
- Boneless chicken breasts or thighs or a combination of both
- Red and green bell pepper
- Jalapeno Pepper
- New or Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Chicken Broth
- Chipotle Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Dried Oregano
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Chopped cilantro
- Slow Cooker
Here is how to make slow cooked chipotle chicken stew in a slow cooker
- Prepare the vegetables and place them in the slow cooker
- Place the chicken pieces on top of the vegetables
- Pour the tomatoes and broth on top
- Sprinkle in the spices
- Cook low and slow
Here is how to make slow cooked chipotle chicken stew in the oven
- Brown the chicken in a skillet, and add the vegetables
- Pour in the tomatoes and broth
- Sprinkleon the spices
- Cover and cook in the oven at 350 for 1 hour
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Meal Prep Tip! Cut up the onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes and vegetables ahead of time so they are ready to go.
- New (baby) potatoes work best with this recipe. If you don’t have access to new potatoes, substitute russet potatoes that have been cut into quarters.
- If you don’t like the heat of jalapeno peppers, cut back on the amount of jalapeno or leave them out.
- Add 1/2 cup black beans for extra fiber
- Just before serving sprinkle with lime juice and fresh cilantro
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Freezing is not recommended.
You Might Also Like These One Pot Dinner IdeasPrint
Slow Cooked Chipotle Chicken
A spicy chicken stew, that’s a healthy and easy weeknight or weekend meal that is full of flavor
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: DInner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 green bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 medium onion sliced thin
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 6 to 8 new potatoes cut in half or 3 yukon gold cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup water or low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes – about 1 large tomato or 2 small
- 1/2 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- a handful of fresh cilantro for garnish
Slow Cooker Method
- place the peppers, garlic, onions, and potatoes into a slow cooker
- top the vegetables with chicken
- pour tomatoes and broth over the top
- add the spices
- cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours
- Add fresh lime juice from one lime and sprinkle with fresh cilantro
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet and heat over medium heat
- Add the chicken and brown
- Add the vegetables and cook for about three minutes
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes and spices
- Cook in 350 oven for 45 minutes to an hour
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates
Keywords: slow cooked chicken. Chipotle chicken,