Slow-Cooked Chipotle Chicken is a smokey and spicy chicken stew that will warm your soul. It’s filled with lean chicken, vegetables, spices and tomatoes.
The smoky flavor from the chipotle chili powder is subtle, yet when it mixes with the heat of the jalapeno peppers and all of the other fresh ingredients, it makes an amazing flavor combination. Slow-cooked chipotle chicken is perfect for a weekend dinner or a busy weeknight meal.
This recipe was originally posted in 2017, it’s been updated for content and photos.
- It takes minutes to prepare – simply add the ingredients to your slow cooker.
- Since it’s made in a slow cooker it cooks while you are doing other things.
- It’s healthy and filled with wholesome ingredients.
Ingredients & Substitutions
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
Boneless chicken breasts or thighs or a combination of both
Bell peppers I like to use a combination of green, red and yellow but any kind will work in this recipe
Garlic if you don’t have fresh garlic available, you can substitute with ⅜ teaspoon of garlic powder (a one-eigth teaspoon per clove of garlic).
Fresh Chopped jalapeno pepper or 1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeno rings.
New or Yukon Gold potatoes cut into equal-sized pieces or baby potatoes cut into halves.
Fresh chopped tomatoes – if they are not available use an equal amount of low sodium diced tomatoes in a can.
Chipotle Chili Powder
Fresh lime juice
Here is how to make slow cooked chipotle chicken stew in a slow cooker
Slice the onions and peppers and place them into a slow cooker.
Add the boneless chicken breasts, garlic, chopped jalapeno peppers and sprinkle on the spices.
Add the potatoes, tomatoes and broth.
Set the slow cooker to low and cook it for 3 to 4 hours.
Total Estimated Time to Make This Recipe: 4 to 4 ½ hours
Serve Chipolte Chicken Stew With
This dinner can be made and served as a one-dish meal. It also tastes great with a side salad like this Arugula Salad and a side of crusty bread.
Storage and Leftover Ideas
Store leftover chipotle chicken in an air-tight container for up to three days in the refrigerator. Re-heat it on top of the stove, in the oven, or the microwave.
Serve leftovers as they are or roll them up in a wrap or make quesadillas.
We have not tried freezing the leftovers, so we can’t recommend freezing chiopotle chicken stew.
Recipe Tips and Variations
Meal Prep Tip! Cut the onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes and potatoes ahead of time so that they are ready to dump and go.
Chopping jalapeno peppers can leave a burning sensation on your hands. Consider wearing gloves when chopping them or rinse your hands in lemon juice after cutting them to reduce the burning sensation.
Cut back on the heat by reducing the amount of jalapenos or leave them out Just before serving chipotle chicken stew, sprinkle it with lime juice and fresh cilantro.
You Might Also Like These One Pot Dinner Ideas
- One Pan Lemon Chicken with Broccoli
- Oven-Baked Pork Chops with Vegetables
- Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken with Black Beans
- Mediterranean Chicken in a Slow Cooker
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 green bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 medium onion sliced thin
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 6 to 8 new potatoes cut in half or 3 Yukon gold cut into quarters
- ½ cup water or low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes - about 1 large tomato or 2 small
- ½ tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- a handful of fresh cilantro for garnish
- place the peppers, garlic, onions, and potatoes into a slow cooker
- top the vegetables with the chicken
- pour the tomatoes and broth over the top of the chicken
- add the spices
- cover and cook on low for 4 hours
- add fresh lime juice from one lime and sprinkle with cilantro
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 530Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 228mgCarbohydrates: 61gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 8gSugar: 9gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 52g
Nutrition information is provided by an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.